Basing question

Parallax1712

Wyrd Chronicles 1 has a section called 'The Iceman Commeth' that is a very good answer on this exact question.

Otherwise, it comes down to what kind of theme you want; winter can mean deep blues for the cold effect, greys and whites for the snow flurries, browns and greys for dead wood, light blues to blacks for frostbitten flesh...

You could do lost relics entombed in ice, or a collapsed building half buried in a blizzard. Given December's history as a Cannibal Tyrant and Rasputina's as the Avatar of Famine, you may want to work in empty provisions or unattainable ones; banged up canned goods, shattered and empty glass jars, torn and tattered rice sacks, that kind of stuff.

You could also look at this site here. It is probably one of the best for creating wintery effects and provides side by side comparisons (personally I like the Woodland Scenics Water Effect and Modeling Snow methods (G&H)).

Combined with the natural base tutorial from the Terrainthralls here you can make some absolutely wonderful bases.

you could also use this http://www.secretweaponminiatures.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=134&zenid=9cdb11172e6bb24c2e646471aea77aa4

but be careful since you know its crushed glass and that sucks ass if you sneeze it and a cloud goes into your eye

tutorial here:

http://www.secretweaponminiatures.com/index.php?main_page=page&id=21

i promise i dont work for them, i just really like that company

Edited by nagash13
added tutorial video link