Paint it all!

parich

It's one big unhappy family.  Kade's arm broke off during painting so there's a major lump there.  Reposting Candy, and finished Pandora.  Finished for now until the new Doppelganger and Teddy!  

Tried new method for taking photos and think they turned out a little better but would love to hear your thoughts.  

FinalFamily_zps4b717bdf.jpg

FinalCandy_zps22aafcb0.jpg

FinalKade_zps69ba74a6.jpg

FinalPandora_zpsefde3101.jpg

• Like 3

I think the painting techniques are LOVELY!!! But I think this style of photography is tainting the true colors you have put on the models. I'd like to see them lit with daylight bulbs or some combination of lights that is white balanced in the camera, so I can see what the color theme truly is throughout the crew. 

I wanna see these looking as best as they can, and judging by the technical side of the painting, these latest photos don't do them justice!  :)

Love how you painted these and second the thought that it would be nice to see some pics with brighter lights. :)

The question I have is how you got all the colors to be so muted? What was the process from priming to final touches? I would really like to use this technique but with a slightly different color palette. Thanks!

Thanks again for the feedback everyone.  Definitely need to work on getting some better photos up.  I've been using a little light box, but am still having troubles.  Best tips for background colors?  I feel like I see white used most often, but have found arguments online that this washes out the color.  Also any advise on camera settings?  My camera (it's a pretty old Cannon) has a micro and super micro mode - but these won't let you zoom so you have to get crazy close to the mini.  The normal setting just makes everything appear really grainy when I zoom close enough to see any detail.  THoughts?

Love how you painted these and second the thought that it would be nice to see some pics with brighter lights. :)

The question I have is how you got all the colors to be so muted? What was the process from priming to final touches? I would really like to use this technique but with a slightly different color palette. Thanks!

Thanks Sekiyama!  What colors are you thinking of using?  I use the Reaper Paint Triad colors but add two additional highlight colors for a total of 5 layers for pretty much each color (if it's really small detail I'll just stick to 3).  To get everything to a similar tone, I used their Dusky Skin triad as an additive for all other colors including the more natural skin tones and hair colors.  I started with a ration of 1:1 bright color:Dusky Skin color, but upped this to 4:1 for the human...er, non-Sorrow skin (Sorrows' skin is straight Dusky Skin to give you an idea of that color on its own).  Using this, my red formulas looked like

1:1 Dusky Skin Shadow:Bloodstain Red

1:1 Dusky Skin:Clotted Red

1:1 Dusky Skin Highlight:Carnage Red

1:2 Dusky Skin Highlight:Carnage Red

1:3 Dusky Skin Highlight:Carnage Red  

Other than that, it's just watering down your paint and doing multiple layers.  I always use a black primer, so that probably keeps everything a little downed down.  The final step for these (and all my minis) is a few layers of satin varnish thinned with water (usually a 2:1 or 1:1 mix varnish to water).  I then put down washes over a majority of the minis with an emphasis on the small details and deep recesses.  The wash color is a 1:1 mix of the darkest color used in an area (so Bloodstain Red in the example above) and black.      

Thanks again for the feedback everyone.  Definitely need to work on getting some better photos up.  I've been using a little light box, but am still having troubles.  Best tips for background colors?  I feel like I see white used most often, but have found arguments online that this washes out the color.  Also any advise on camera settings?  My camera (it's a pretty old Cannon) has a micro and super micro mode - but these won't let you zoom so you have to get crazy close to the mini.  The normal setting just makes everything appear really grainy when I zoom close enough to see any detail.  THoughts?

Thanks Sekiyama!  What colors are you thinking of using?  I use the Reaper Paint Triad colors but add two additional highlight colors for a total of 5 layers for pretty much each color (if it's really small detail I'll just stick to 3).  To get everything to a similar tone, I used their Dusky Skin triad as an additive for all other colors including the more natural skin tones and hair colors.  I started with a ration of 1:1 bright color:Dusky Skin color, but upped this to 4:1 for the human...er, non-Sorrow skin (Sorrows' skin is straight Dusky Skin to give you an idea of that color on its own).  Using this, my red formulas looked like

1:1 Dusky Skin Shadow:Bloodstain Red

1:1 Dusky Skin:Clotted Red

1:1 Dusky Skin Highlight:Carnage Red

1:2 Dusky Skin Highlight:Carnage Red

1:3 Dusky Skin Highlight:Carnage Red  

Other than that, it's just watering down your paint and doing multiple layers.  I always use a black primer, so that probably keeps everything a little downed down.  The final step for these (and all my minis) is a few layers of satin varnish thinned with water (usually a 2:1 or 1:1 mix varnish to water).  I then put down washes over a majority of the minis with an emphasis on the small details and deep recesses.  The wash color is a 1:1 mix of the darkest color used in an area (so Bloodstain Red in the example above) and black.      

Thanks for in depth reply, I appreciate very much.

The color scheme I was thinking about is more greenish on sorrows and poltergeist and more or less the official colors for kade/pandora/candy.

Since I'm getting back in painting miniatures after a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooong time, I really appreciate your help.

• 3 weeks later...

Starting work on my newest crew, the Viks.  I wanted to try a really muted, military inspired color pallet, but think it turned out a little too dull.  Keep envisioning a red coat on Ash Vik!  

I played around with my camera settings, swapped the white background out for light blue, and ditched the photobox entirely.  Think (hope!) the photos turned out better this time around too.  Comments and critiques welcomed as always.

P3180003_zps8ccd34b5.jpg

P3180009_zps33870b19.jpg

P3180014_zpsc0c6b570.jpg

P3180021_zps4652049b.jpg

• Like 1

Great looking models!! I really like your painting style, and I think it especially suits these models. 

Photos are still a bit on the dark side... Just remember that the closer you put your camera to a subject, the more light you have to pump onto them. When your camera is right on top of the models, you'll basically need to cook those puppies. Spending more than an hour photographing miniatures should make you sweat.  :P

Also... are you using Manual Mode? If so (and, honestly, it should be the same for every mode), there should be an "in-camera light meter that tells you when the shutter speed and aperture are balanced to allow enough light for a properly lighted image. if the indicator is not centered, then you probably need more light (or a longer shutter speed... which would necessitate a tripod). Hope that helps!