Release Schedule

irishdave

I like how much lighter plastics are. I just sold two armies of roughly the same size on ebay... One was metal. Shipping the metal one sucked.

I could go on about why plastic is superior in my view, but I think we've both made up our minds there, so I'll spare everyone!

Also, to be honest, if they make more money for selling the same models... GOOD. Iike Wyrd and wanna see them stay in business. :)

Wyrd can choose to make only plastic models for whatever reason takes their fancy, and I'm sure as part of that decision they've taken account of the fact that some customers don't like plastics. Wyrd like plastics, so the decision has been made.

Your last sentence suggests you think that people who want metals, deserve metals - like it's some kind of entitlement and Wyrd are obliged to listen and act.

You know, I don't agree with him either, but can we leave "entitlement" out of this.

With only minor hyperbole present, no argument in the history of forever has gone well once people start slinging that around.

It's a buzzword that politicians are striving to vilify, and speaks poorly of the counter-debate one is trying to present, intentionally or otherwise.

Wyrd can choose to make only plastic models for whatever reason takes their fancy, and I'm sure as part of that decision they've taken account of the fact that some customers don't like plastics. Wyrd like plastics, so the decision has been made.

Your last sentence suggests you think that people who want metals, deserve metals - like it's some kind of entitlement and Wyrd are obliged to listen and act.

That isn't what he suggested at all.

That's different from regular retail price, but I'll grant you. Technically it's a sale price, because that's not the MSRP. And I was wrong on the regular price, it's $32. So, $8 increase for a giant Ice Golem and a Wendigo.

But where is the saving compared to metal? You are paying more for 'more', I agree, but I thought plastic was supposed to be cheaper.

Wyrd are not the only ones, as noted above most manufacturers are switching to plastic on the grounds of materials costs, but all are increasing prices.

To pick up the 'entitlement' discussion. I would sum it up as the customer is always right-we have been buying Wyrd metals since before there was a Malifaux game, it is a shame that some may now be excluded in future due to materials. I hope Wyrd make oodles of cash from plastics and that at some point they remember the customers who got their show on the road.

Edited by ork56

If you feel excluded by Wyrd because of a material, you are a silly person. Wyrd is so incredibly INCLUSIVE you can go right over there and help them design the wave 2 models.

I hope Wyrd makes oodles of cash of plastics and remembers to keep making wicked models in whatever medium works best with current technology and cost factors.

No, not entitlement. It is a different thing altogether.

Wyrd as a company exists because of metal miniatures. There really is no denying this. For years it has made up most if not all of the models that they have made. They succeeded because people liked the models.

Now, they want to stop making what people like for questionable reasons. What is more, if someone speaks out in support of continuing metals they are met with hostility, told too bad so sad, basically told to shut up about it. As we have seen, we even have a moderator try to shut down discussions about metals, even if they are related to the thread. That simply isn't right.

Note too that liking metal does not mean that you don't also like plastic, or that you are saying stop making plastics, or for people to stop buying plastics, or that metal models also do not have their faults. Both have their pros and cons.

Wyrd as a company exists because of metal miniatures. There really is no denying this. For years it has made up most if not all of the models that they have made. They succeeded because people liked the models.

I thought Wyrd succeeded because the game was good? Yes the models are cool and all but I would never have bought any models if the game wasn't and continued to be engaging and fun.

Now, they want to stop making what people like for questionable reasons. What is more, if someone speaks out in support of continuing metals they are met with hostility, told too bad so sad, basically told to shut up about it. As we have seen, we even have a moderator try to shut down discussions about metals, even if they are related to the thread. That simply isn't right.

Odd, i didn't really get that from Mako's post, but I guess the real question is what do you hope to accomplish given the decision has been made? The plastic vs metal debate has been going on for years and will continue to do so, however once a company has made a decision to move to a different medium there really isn't anything you as the player can do about it. It's not hostility, just a fact.

Lastly, wasn't this a thread about release schedules?

The miniatures came before the game, and metal is what carried the previous versions of the game. Not faulting the game, but typically companies make more money off of miniature rather than book sales.

Mako has repeatedly tried to shut down discussions if they support metals. He hasn't necessarily been rude about it but he has been clear about not wanting discussions about it.

Companies can change their mind, especially if their customers ask them too. This has happened many times over the years.

This was originally about release schedules. I brought up metals to show how they could compliment the release schedule for the next year and yeah, this happened.

I started a thread asking about release schedules and now it's just a back and forth about materials. I love wyrd, I love malifaux and I don't care what the models are made of, I would just like to know what's coming out next for a great game! Please refrain from de-railing discussion points and questions asked by others. If you want to battle it between plastic and metal, start a new topic! Thank you.

Now, Wyrd, please keep making great products and continue building a wonderful gaming system.

I think we've gotten pretty off topic. Maybe a new thread?

I entirely agree with this sentiment.

Given that this thread is now apparently totally stuck off topic and is simply going round and round with the same comments on both sides that have been in every other iteration of this, I'm going to say it again - have this discussion in its own thread. I'm happy for it to roll along in a separate thread. I'd even go state my opinions fully if a thread was made, to join everyone else's opinions. I'm not happy to have it disturb a bunch of other threads that are looking for information on release schedules, as metals have no place in the schedule now - they're not going to happen. I can even quote a conversation I had with someone from Wyrd where "we're not making any more metals" was said.

Since this is the case, I'm closing this thread.

And no, I'm not trying to shut down the discussion like some evil overlord. I find the accusation that I'm trying to stop the discussion a little offensive, considering I've repeatedly said I'm happy to have that discussion in its own thread if someone makes one. But enough is enough with the derailing and clogging of other threads now, I'm afraid. Take it to its own thread where you'll be free to make whatever arguments take your fancy.

In fact, here's a thread I've made just for that:

http://www.wyrd-games.net/showthread.php?48082-Metals-and-plastics