M2E Shooting into Melee

Joza

Question

Hi gang! With the M2E I'm back to Malifaux (love the new rules!), and I have just one (probably dumb) question.

Take this situation:

post-4213-13911931373974_thumb.png

- All models are Ht 2

- Blue models are friendly to each other (as are the red ones).

- The distance between any two of (B, D, E, F) is less than 2".

- The distance between A and any of (B, D, E, F) is more than 2".

- Model A is in shooting range of (B, D), which are engaged in Melee.

- The thick black line is a Ht 5, Blocking, Hard Cover terrain

Model A is declaring a Shooting Attack against the model D.

As per the Shooting into Engagements rules, since D is engaged with B (and they are less than 2" apart), the D is becoming the temporary target.

Model A now checks LoS and Range between itself and D (since D is the temporary target), and finds out that LoS and Range are OK.

Now A flips a card for each model within 2" of the temporary target (and the target itself), and the lowest card is flipped for model E.

To this step, all is pretty clear, and I have no issues. What happens next?

Variant 1 (which I belive is correct): Model A now attacks model E (as "it is possible to hit targets that aren't technically within LoS or Range"), and since the terrain is providing Hard Cover, the model E gets that benefit.

Variant 2 (which some people in my group think is correct): Model A now fails to attack the model E, as it has no LoS to it, because of the Ht 5 Blocking terrain, and the attack fails.

So, which one is right? And if it is the Variant 2, why is it so?

Thank you, Joza

It specifies further down that section that models don't have to be engaged with the model you originally targeted, just within 2" of the temporary target model, to be randomised for.

So the process is:

-Pick temporary target.

-If temporary target is engaged with a model that is within 2" of it, then randomise the shot.

-Every model within 2" of the temporary target now becomes a valid target, regardless of LoS and range from the shooter.

-Flip a card for every valid target.

-Lowest card gets hit, attacker chooses if it's a draw.

-take any necessary tests to actually target the new target.

-resolve the shot, including cover (so targets out of LoS are likely to get hard or soft cover).

I have to agree with Rhonlore here. My reading of the first paragraph is that models which are engaged (or engaging) and within 2 inches are the only legal targets.

I have actually physically quoted the portion of the rulebook where it specifically states that models NOT engaged but within 2" can be hit.

It says it.

In black and white.

Ithat you can hit models within 2" that are not in melee.

Edited by Ausplosions

I would just like to add that what I assumed the reason for the current wording of the rule is so if you have one enemy engaged with multiple friendlies whether you target a friendly or enemy you get the same set of targets instead of being able to target one friendly model and ignore the rest of them because you can't be engaged with friendly models.

Currently equally likely as hitting the model you aimed at ;)

well, as you know, its a 1 in a million chance, and they tend to happen 9 times out of 10, according to Terry Pratchett....

but, on topic, as much as I hate to say it, Ausplosions is right. There is no ambiguity on it - if you are within 2", you are eligible to be randomised onto.