Seamus??? Seamus!!!

noneshallpass

To ask a very simple question:

How to deal with this guy in M2E or, at least, make him a bit stop short?

And to make it even more simpler (for me): For example with a Mei Feng Crew...:D

To me, a ranged damage dealer with a melee weapon to kill opponents outright, 14 wounds, an uncountable hard to wound and powerful escapeability is simply OP - but I won't say that...:D

How can one beat Seamus at all?! (Seriously, I'm tabled the moment he shows up and it's a bit of a NPE for me...)

You can use cover and Vent Steam to protect yourself from Seamus' flintlock. His Sweet Murder trigger needs 2 :crows so he'll be spending SS to get it off and as long as you've kept a couple of cards back to throw away you'll be fine. Misdirection on Mei could be good too to pass off Sweet Murder back to his own crew.

To get around Impossible to Wound you could either give yourself enough :+fate's that hopefully you wouldn't need to cheat anyway or attack him with models that have a high minimum dmg. He's only Def 4 so you have a pretty good chance to hit him.

Remember you don't necessarily have to kill him, if you have trouble killing him don't pick the Assassinate scheme. Focus on your Strat/Schemes rather than killing him.

I'm not sure where his escapeability is? I'm guessing you mean Back Alley? He can't use that if you've got LoS to him.

There's some ideas anyway, hope it helps.

The advice on how to deal with him is going to depend on what and your crew compositions look like.

First, just as a point of clarity Seamus has 12 wounds not 14.

So the general advice first is you have to decide if you are going to bother trying to deal with him at all. While he is certainly a strong master he isn't a master like the darkness where if you ignore him he will eat your entire crew. You can try to just keep Seamus focused in what is not important to your overall game plan, as remember Semys can be very deadly to one model, especially if its off on its own, but he really doesn't like trying to deal with ss users much. Additionally if you are worried about the gun, remember it can be planned for. Seamus can only fire it once, and if you have a decent model your pretty certain you can bait Seamus into attacking you can save a high card for that attack. Seamus only has a 6 to his guns attack stat so plan you card defense in advance for that shot and don't get tricked into using it early.

If you've decided to kill him first keep the pressure in him. Do this first by calculating the best vector to send an attacker in on. If Seamus used back ally to get into position he will be near some blocking terrain. Try and position your attacking model so that it is directly opposite the blocking terrain so that if Seamus tries use bored now to escape he won't go far. Or you can pin Seamus between two of your own models. Next if possible it is useful to try to make certain the models you send in are constructs, or something else that won't leave a corpse, in the case of Seamus having the red chapel killer upgrade. You want to avoid a corpse dropping near him for him to summon a belle to lure or to just blow it up and jump away.

Finally if you are trying to kill him keep the pressure on. You want to try to get hits that have a better chance of doing dmg on positive or no modifier flips to increase your chance of getting moderate or severe. Seamus is not hard to hit, he can just heal it back very effectively, so that is what you need to fight against.

Are you playing Mei as an Arcanist or a Ten Thunders master?

From the Mei Feng side of the table remember that Unstoppable Industry makes her completely immune to Terrifying, even from things like The Hanged. Against the wider crew Kang is immense with The Worker’s Champion and to a lesser extent Rousing Speech.

Although this is a matchup I've yet to face with Mei in M2e I'd be looking to evade Seamus and go for his crew.

Are you playing Mei as an Arcanist or a Ten Thunders master?

From the Mei Feng side of the table remember that Unstoppable Industry makes her completely immune to Terrifying, even from things like The Hanged.

With Mei's Unstoppable Industry, she is immune to Paralyzed so I could see where even with the Hanged's Unrelenting Horror which has non-charging models in the 4" aura "lose all immunities to Horror Duels, including immunity gained by passing a Horror Duel," because she is not concerned with passing the horror duel either way since she is immuned to the consequential Paralyzed.

My questionis why Raspy and the Frozen Heart models were given immunity to both Horror Duels and Paralyzed? Is there any benefit Frozen Heart's inclusion of both has over Mei's? New ability or whatnot is perhaps coming that gives consequence to a Horror duel other than Paralyzed, or its already here and I'm simply ignorant of it?

Additionally, is the portion of Unrelenting Terror stating ,"including immunity gained by passing a Horror duel," just explaining why there is no cast, target number, or duel going on and that the Horror Duel is automatic?

Doesn't Seamus have some abilities that go off on a failed Horror duel? Mei would fail a duel, then have no other negative effect. Frozen heart flat out would ignore the Horror duel. Small difference, but it's there.

Ah, yes, Feast of Fear? Seamus heals on a failed Wp duel by an enemy, so Mei would possibly help heal him on the Horror Duel, but a Frozen Heart model would not.

That's what I was looking for there.

---------- Post added at 11:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:49 AM ----------

Looking at it closer its any failed Wp duel within 6", so if the hanged are nearby they can force the failed duel and heal him, he doesn't need to be party to the duel.

Edited by Fenton Crack
Spelling

It is more effective to ignore/ tie up Seamus than to commit resources trying to kill one of the most resilient models in the game.

Besides Impossible to Wound and his awesome Healing Ability; Seamus stays alive mostly because of Hard to Kill. Remember that he can't be killed in 1 hit, and that you will always always always have to bring Seamus down to 1 wound before he can be killed.... which takes another AP. That usually means that killing Seamus when he is at full(ish) life is probably going to cost a minimum of 3 AP. If you fail to kill him he WILL heal up, and that's not even considering that failed horror duels will heal him as well. As others have said, he's not hard to hit, but the difficulty of wounding/killing him makes ignoring/ tying Seamus up a better idea than trying to kill him.

If you do want to make the attempt you either need heavy hitters like the Golem or Langston, or models than can chain-activate so you can cover the AP "tax" that Hard to Kill usually demands.

i used this crew and killed him yesterday. Not sure it was worth the resources though. Would probably have been better off pasting his crew :)

Mei Feng 7 soulstones

Arcane Reservoir 2

Seismic Claws 1

Thunderous Smash1

Miss Step 12

Bleeding Edge Tech 1

Kang 9

Hard Worker 1

3 Rail Workers 15

Metal Gamin 4

Lost 7-10 because i didn't get bodyguard on Kang, who got red jokered and then picked off. Gotta remember to always save a stone for Kang. Made the mistake to let Mei burn them all.

Lures are really scary which meant vent steam was invaluable and Kang's buffs against undead are really good.

Oh cool my post is all pink. Huh.

i used this crew and killed him yesterday. Not sure it was worth the resources though. Would probably have been better off pasting his crew :)

Mei Feng 7 soulstones

Arcane Reservoir 2

Seismic Claws 1

Thunderous Smash1

Miss Step 12

Bleeding Edge Tech 1

Kang 9

Hard Worker 1

3 Rail Workers 15

Metal Gamin 4

Lost 7-10 because i didn't get bodyguard on Kang, who got red jokered and then picked off. Gotta remember to always save a stone for Kang. Made the mistake to let Mei burn them all.

Lures are really scary which meant vent steam was invaluable and Kang's buffs against undead are really good.

Oh cool my post is all pink. Huh.

If it's of any interest, my crew was:

• Seamus

Redchapel killer, Mad Haberdasher, Bag'o'Tools

• CCK
  • Sybelle

Not too banged up

Bleeding tongue

• 3x Belles
  • Hanged
  • Nurse

Miss 'Snip-snip' Step is a nasty critter...