M2E Mei Feng

r4st4f4n

I played a 50 stone game last night with Mei's crew and Miss Step against Jakob Lynch's crew + 1 Beckoner and Teddy. I was a lot more selective of where I sent her, and payed more attention to where I was spreading my constructs and scrap tokens out (I didn't forget a single scrap token -- Jakob's player did, though, and it ended up costing him Jakob when I railwalked across the board to drop Burning +4 on him in one round).

Hungering Darkness kept messing with Kang, so he didn't really get anything done. My opponent's main focus was using Huggy and the Beckoner to keep my crew spread out too far for Mei to Railwalk, but that didn't work out so well. Unfortunately for me, it did keep my crew spread out too much for anyone but Mei to be useful, and she ended up getting ganged up on when I decided to go for that one last hit instead of Railwalking out of the fight.

Miss Step was an interesting addition, and didn't end up doing much of anything (50mm base = obvious threat, so she was dead by turn 2.)

The more I play her, the more I wonder if she's good at too many things (movement and Burning), making her not great at either. Unless every one of my constructs also inflicts Burning, I'm not getting a lot of play out of that condition.

The thing I need to do with her more is surgical strikes -- since she doesn't have Armor or Hard to Kill or any way to heal herself, the only thing keeping her alive is her boatload of wounds. Railwalk in, auto Jackhammer kick, Tiger Claw, and Railwalk out.

Gunsmiths might get a flaming bullets trigger. Who knows? i played a game with mei vs sonnia yesterday (my first 2e game) Sonnia is scary as hell but i managed a 9-2. Turns out Miss Step with imbued energies is brutal and she killed Peacekeeper and exec in turn two. Turn three a stalker (a transformed Mei sadly) and in turn five sonnia. :o

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Sorry to necro an old thread but it didn't make sense to create a new one. I think the Arcanist "M2E" threads are a great resource and we should keep them going.

On that note, as someone who is thinking of picking up Mei Feng to support Rasputina and Marcus, what would you guys say she brings to that triad? I had a quick look at the last beta cards for her and can't see the crew's Burning mechanic being that important for anyone other than the Rail Golem. What else does she offer? So far I'm thinking of Mei as an "elastic cruise missile" who can jump in, do a bunch of damage and jump out.

She's also good at protecting her pals with vent steam, and she can be very quick, being able to railwalk long distances (although it might cost you) to be where she needs to be. She can also push people aroun and remove corpse, scrap and scheme markers which can be very handy. She's a pretty good schemer actually.

Usually i bring Miss Step and/or the Rail Golem. Kang for undead/construct crews.

That seems pretty good. Protecting your crew from shooting whilst you get up the board is very appealing to someone who plays Rasputina.

How good are the rail crew? I know they have that nice positive flip ability, but they're not exactly objective grabbers. I like molemen for that purpose at the moment, do they fill another role?

She gets bonuses versus burning targets, so that's worth considering :)

Kang is extremely good against undead and construct lists due to his aura. The Rail workers are fairly hardy and really hard hitting. Their (0) action really surprises my opponents, as they suddenly hit reliably with a good damage track.

The emberling is alright, but he's usually the first man to get cut for me.

The emberling is really nice imo. She's a 3ss significant model that can walk through walls. Incorporeal makes her a great little schemer i've found. Not many totems are significant in Malifaux.

Rail workers are very slow, but hard hitting. Not exactly objective grabbers no, but they can dish out a lot of hurt. i'm often frustrated by how slow they are though.

Molemen or steam arachnids help with objective grabbing.

The emberling is really nice imo. She's a 3ss significant model that can walk through walls. Incorporeal makes her a great little schemer i've found. Not many totems are significant in Malifaux.

Rail workers are very slow, but hard hitting. Not exactly objective grabbers no, but they can dish out a lot of hurt. i'm often frustrated by how slow they are though.

Molemen or steam arachnids help with objective grabbing.

Yeah, he doesn't look that amazing to me.

I'm looking at Mei's upgrades, they all look a little confusing to me - as far as synergy goes. I've written what I "think" they're for, feel free to correct me:

Price of Progress: killing strategies, Mei's doing a lot of the work.

Vapormancy: a bit of protection from the trigger? Don't see myself using the Action.

Seismic Claws: pretty good melee upgrade, splits enemies apart or pushes them into melee range of something else of yours.

Thunderous Smash: protection from retaliation, as Mei's 3" melee means she can still attack?

What are the synergies here? I can see SC and TS working well together, a bit stuck on the third one I'd take.

Edited by LupusFerreus

I'm looking at Mei's upgrades, they all look a little confusing to me - as far as synergy goes. I've written what I "think" they're for, feel free to correct me:

Vapormancy: a bit of protection from the trigger? Don't see myself using the Action.

Seismic Claws: pretty good melee upgrade, splits enemies apart or pushes them into melee range of something else of yours.

Thunderous Smash: protection from retaliation, as Mei's 3" melee means she can still attack?

What are the synergies here? I can see SC and TS working well together, a bit stuck on the third one I'd take.

Edited by LupusFerreus

Who doesn't look amazing to you?

Never really take price of progress. Can't comment much. Don't underestimate the marker removal from thunderous smash. It can be golden. i once smashed 2 scrap markers and a scheme marker that were within 3" when playing against Ramos. He wasn't happy with that. And with railwalker she can jump around and clean up the enemy's scheme markers.

i usually take Seismic Claws for the nice combos, Arcane Reservoir because an extra card really helps, and thunderous smash. Still have to try Vapormancy more before i can comment.

Who doesn't look amazing to you?

Never really take price of progress. Can't comment much. Don't underestimate the marker removal from thunderous smash. It can be golden. i once smashed 2 scrap markers and a scheme marker that were within 3" when playing against Ramos. He wasn't happy with that. And with railwalker she can jump around and clean up the enemy's scheme markers.

i usually take Seismic Claws for the nice combos, Arcane Reservoir because an extra card really helps, and thunderous smash. Still have to try Vapormancy more before i can comment.

Haven't used Price of Progress either but vapormancy is pretty nice to have around if incorporeal rear their ugly head or you want to put some blast markers around. Also, having a less costly chance to put up a steam cloud is never a bad plan. I do have to experiment a lot more with her and try to avoid the obvious Seismic Claws to see what else she can get going.

Haven't used Price of Progress either but vapormancy is pretty nice to have around if incorporeal rear their ugly head or you want to put some blast markers around. Also, having a less costly chance to put up a steam cloud is never a bad plan. I do have to experiment a lot more with her and try to avoid the obvious Seismic Claws to see what else she can get going.