Fluff-centric Wiki

Kalkris

I keep on seeing threads about characters having some nuance in the fluff, and requests re: location names, and characters who are or aren't significant and whatnot... And while I love that people are so invested in the fluff (which is great for me, coming from a MTG background where fluff at least *used to* drive mechanics), not having most of the books, I can't answer them.

So, I bring this up with all of you. Can somebody more capable than I make a wiki for the fluff and the fluff alone? Perhaps one that synopsizes the stories, bios the characters, details locations, and standardizes the history, among other possible things?

And heck, I'd love to see discussion pages there on the spoily aspects of the stories, which isn't to say I want you all to relocate your discussion, because *I* personally love spoilers oftentimes, but I know some other people don't like it (and that is hardly my concern, but I don't like when folks get miffed). And even a speculatory page would be nice too!

So, how about it? Shall we (y'all) make a Wiki?

Thank you for your time and consideration! :D

~Lil Kalki

(P.S. -- a board might be a nice idea too but I don't know where to inquire towards that end.)

First off, I know PullMyFinger exists, and I REALLY like it -- I don't at all want to suggest replacing it.

However, PMF is more of a tips / tricks / strategies / rules wiki, with fluff being a secondary concern.

So, I was wondering if anyone would be interested in starting, or contributing if I have to be the one to take the lead, a fluff-centric Wiki with little-to-no discussion of rules (in fact, I'd suggest every page that could contain non-fluff links back to PMF).

• Like 1

This is something that I think you may want to run by Eric and Nathan since it is their world, and I'm not quite sure how copyright and all that stuff works. I think so long as it sums up the fluff and doesn't just "copy & paste" that it should be okay. I'm personally for this idea since it will give the characters some life and you can point it out to new players so they can get an idea of the masters that they may want to play from a fluff perspective rather than just a mechanical one.

Edited by rgarbonzo

You should ask for permission because it's polite, but so long as you don't copy the words from any document, there's no real copyright issue.

I love the idea too - it's a great way to pull together all the sources of background in the Malifaux world, some of which will quickly become more difficult to find.

Could the "Fluff-centric Wiki" thread and "Can Somebody Make A Malifaux Storyline Wiki?" thread be merged since they have the same idea behind them? There are a couple of posts in both threads and could be useful toward the discussion.

Back on topic: I was thinking of the same thing for the last month. Problem is that there is a lot of data to process which would take some time and as rgarbanzo put it that the fluff is a brainchild of the games creators and writers.

What I would propose is that a skeleton of all the all the data be put together with entries containing some sparse introductions all the people menitoned in the fluff, events and locations be made and interlinked on the wiki and that the whoever will be making wiki should be given officially approved fluff material that could be merged with the Wiki entries.

I have never made a wiki, just edited entries, but I've built databases in the past and this project sounds interesting enough that I'd be willing to do something about it in a couple of months (not before October) if it gets approved.

My English is well... not the best, but I have to practice it somewhere...

As with wiki construction, I will have to learn how to program it or whatever and I'm willing to give it a shot. I've finished a webdesign course some odd ten years ago, but I'm so rusty that I would need to re-learn much of it.

If there is someone more up to the challage of building a wiki I can still help with whatever is needed.

Edited by Linus Mcmold
grammar and clarifications

This is something I've always wanted, in order to pick a crew or know more about yours fluffwise. Im in.

And, if we don't Copy-Paste, I don't think we will be breaking any law. There's a lot of wikis about a lot of Copyrighted stories, and I don't think their creators have asked for permission. Anyway, it would be great if devs say yes to the project.

I think I could bring something to the project, so yeah I'm interested in the project.

I'll just need a month to clear up my time from college duties. I elaborated what I'm about on the previous page, but I do edit my posts a lot and you might have not seen it.

So there you go.

@rgarbonzo: it seems that you're also somewhat interested in contribootin' *grin*

About the name, did Molly wrote news for the Guild Records, or she had a name for her news or something? She'd be a good angle for that thing. (also my post from the previous thread)

Thanks for merging the threads, I didn't even know the other one existed when I posted mine.

Take a look at any D&D-world wiki (Forgotten Realms, for example), and you can see how you can talk about characters' lives and different storylines without violating copyright or delving into rules.

And Molly's newspaper was the Malifaux Daily Record, so we could call it that, or Daily Record Archives.

Daily Record is too common a name and they all have Archives.

Malifaux Daily Record sounds good.

Heh, I also wanted to mention D&D wikis (I used DragonLance lexicon for my campaign).

I suppose it should be designed to look like some sort of a 19th century print or something like that to reflect the name.

What do you think about having official guild knowledge and outlawed knowledge on every article? And maybe Sonnia Criid's (or some other famous characters) commentary on the bottome of some articles?

I can't remember how the outlawed prints and papers were called in Rising Powers, there is also Guild Record and I remembered Daily Records were Guild Approved.

Since there aren't a lot of books for Malifaux yet it won't be difficult to enter which sources were used for each article... This will change when more of TTB books come out.

---------- Post added at 10:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:37 PM ----------

Crap, there is a Malifux Record already.

Edited by Linus Mcmold
couldn't help myself

I'll thumb through Rising Powers to see what the M&SU papers were called. Also, were any of the big libraries in the Quarantine Zone named?

I really like the idea of making it look like old newsprint, plus Criid's notes. But, the closer we get to making it look official, the more likely we're going to tread too close to copyright.

Edited by Matney X

Yeah I was kind of wanting to tread lightly there as I have sent an email asking what the lines may be and I don't want to encroach upon the copyright of Wyrd (unless they pay me to make an official one!*grin*). That being said I also would like to maybe come up with a name that hasn't been used in the fluff for this exact reason. If we get Eric and Nathan's (and Wyrd's) blessing then sure the Malifaux Record I think would be the way to go, or possibly the Soulstone?

I'm in an odd position to comment, working for Wyrd now. But I started pullmyfinger before I worked for Wyrd. It was really easy:

Step 1) Get permission from Eric/Nathan

Step 2) Setup a wikispaces page (it takes about 30 seconds)

Step 3) Tell a bunch of talented people the wiki exists and to come start filling it in and let them do all the work.

There was more, but that's the gist. Once you get started, it's easy. And I know a number of the Malifaux community know wikispaces well because they worked on pullmyfinger.

Well I sent the email about it to Eric so I am waiting on his reply before I take any next steps. However I also would like to have some people "waiting in the wings" to attack the project if we can do it. That way we can spring forth like a Sabretooth Cerberus and attack it all multi headed and what not!

Uh oh, I became emotionally invested now.

I had a plan to extract all of the names (even episode characters) and places, possibly dates from the four books.

I have to lend the books again, so I'm contacting my friend now.

I recently read Dead Winter story, Rising Powers and Storm of Shadows, and I'm currently finishing Twisting Fates so I won't have a problem navigating through the books. I vaguely remember what's contained inside the Core Book.

I would leave the Chronicles to someone else or revisit them later.

Hmm hmm, who's got the new book? Mine won't be avaliable for a month or so...

Better to wait for Eric's response than riling people up.

Maybe people will see this thread. I hope Malifaux Matters don't get clean slate treatment and this thread dissapears with it because of the new forum rules and forum misconduct.

Pity I don't know too much people on the forum, since I'm newish...