Kaeris Origins

Justin

I think it's clear there are a lot of references in Malifaux: pop culture, historical, and mythological.

One which Eric mentioned that nobody had ever guessed was where Kaeris got her name. So, I'm going to take a swing at it:

I think Kaeris took her name from Kaeros, which was the Greek word for an opportune moment in time. This would fit her precise and calculated nature. And depictions of Kaeros even had wings.

I'm not using any inside information here, just taking a swing. Anyone else want to take a guess? Let's solve this one! Eric, want to confirm or deny?

By confirming the accuracy of his statement I, Eric Johns, agree to give one Justin Gibbs an extra 15 minute break. And a Snickers bar.

• Like 1

I would expect something fiery/angely to be the inspiration. Maybe a little Tim the Sorcerer? ;)

There is an Anasalea Caroland; so being family with Nathan might have earned her her first name.

kaeris is a character from Zephiros Evoland, that seemingly has to do with fire.

Edited by ttsgosadow

Kaeris was a bastardization of Kriss, from Kriss Kross. Like most models with flight she can't truly fly, more like Jump. Jump. Arcanists make you Jump Jump

This is why Eric's clothes were on backwards when he mentioned Kaeris...

...all is falling into place.

The feminine of Icaeros would probably have an "ae" type ending. It would be closer to Ikaerae as a feminine. Ikaeros would be Koine Greek due to the age of the name. I don't know the feminine endings for modern Greek.

Charis is greek for grace if I remember correctly, which in Koine Greek would have a pretty close spelling to Kaeris.

Anaslea is close to the Russian version of Angela, which is a femenine version of Angelo, which comes from the word Angel, which comes from the Greek word Angelos (angelae feminine) which in turn means simply "messenger".

So her name is very similar to an ancient Greek set of words meaning "angel of grace" or "graceful angel". Messenger of grace, graceful messenger, Graceful Herald.

This theory fits with her model.

Also, apparently there where three female characters who were "graces" in Greek Mythology. One of whom was named "Aglais", (maybe similar to anaslae) which means "brilliance". Also, the baby name site I just visited had many varients of "Charis" for femninine names which mean "grace", amongst these was "Karis", and "Chaeris".

Also also, Chris or Kriss, is a probable of shoot of Charis as well.

Icarus (according to Google) means "he follows", and may not have been Icarus' proper name but rather a description of the boy who followed Daedalus. Daedalus may also not have been a proper name originally as it simply means "craftsman". (Again according to Google)

Edited by micahwc