Guildhound on base

johntoenjes

Just finished assembling the Guild hounds and realized something: what's the easiest way to attach the compact hound to the base? ( For fellow greyhound owners, it's the one in the second suspension) The paws look too small to pin. I was thinking just making a mound of green stuff to press the feet into and then glue into that, disguising it as terrain.

If you haven't already clipped the flat metal slot-thing(?) off the bottom, you can cut that down and file it into a pin of sorts. A lot of people recommend this for the new plastics, using a piece of the sprue as a pin, but it can work equally well for the metal minis too.

If you haven't already clipped the flat metal slot-thing(?) off the bottom, you can cut that down and file it into a pin of sorts. A lot of people recommend this for the new plastics, using a piece of the sprue as a pin, but it can work equally well for the metal minis too.

yeah, I do that a lot.

Perhaps a strong Epoxy might do the trick...for more support you could make a "muddy" portion of the base with green stuff to allow as much of the paw be surrounded by material before using the epoxy?

Another idea might be to try mixing some iron filings into some paint for the paws and use a magnet on the base? Don't know if you would get enough hold this way however.

Man, those paws are awfully small. Best of luck with whatever you try.

Well, I don't know what the hell second suspension is, I'll assume it's the one that looks like it's at a full run.

If that's the case, I'd probably put a pin right into his chest near the leg touching the ground. Depending on your base color, I would paint the pin dark brown or grey (I normally prefer dark brown for most situations). Run the pin parallel to the leg touching the ground....but not touching it....leave a little space.

It should fade into the shadows and really only be noticeable upon close inspection. I have done this many times with short / low-to-the-ground models.

I recommend 2 part epoxy. The best epoxies are the grey ones from the automotive stores. I use Cold Weld. It really is very strong.

Alternatively, get smaller drill bits for your pin-vice.

Another idea might be to try mixing some iron filings into some paint for the paws and use a magnet on the base? Don't know if you would get enough hold this way however.

This is probably a bad idea. I use straight magnet-to-magnet attachments for my steampunk arachnids, and while I can hold them upside down, they only stay if I'm careful.

Edited by CRC

I was able to pin the paw. I am not saying its the only solution or even the best solution, but it can be done and it looks just fine.

This too.........I don't have the model in front of me to determine myself...just looked at the online store pics. I have some really tiny bits........I pin spear shafts and wrists together all the time. But part of that is experience and if you don't feel comfortable doing it, you should probably try something else.

Also, it's worth trying even if it is slightly above your experience level.....you'd be surprised what you can achieve when you try :)

Just make sure you're using a manual pin-vice.....not a rotary tool like a Dremel. Watch what you're doing......go slow...if you start to go through the leg, stop.....patch it with a bit of glue or greenstuff and try something else. Once you've drilled the hole, you probably won't be able to straighten it out.

It seems the website does like it when you have many tabs open on your iPad and use the quickreply button in one of the threads. Now let`s see if I can`t get my reply to the right thread.

Edited by Carasz

I see most opinions seem to have been spoken already in this thread, so to not regurgitate too many of them I`ll just keep it short.

One thing seems to be on many peoples minds, Lady J`s pose.

They way I see it, she looks like she has moved from a standing (or jumped) down into a crouching pose and the momentum has carried her hair further. Both she and her hair and been moving sideways, from our left to right. It looks quite natural if you look at it this way.

Wrong thread?