Average schmoe does Mallifaux

kmdl1066

(Unrealated: I created a Wyrd account in 2006? Really? Why? With an email account that I haven't used for years had had another email account that I haven't used for years as backup. That password recovery chain was fun.)

The quality of minatures shown on this forum is incredible. Makes it pretty intimidating to post anything. However, I would like to show that a guy with not much time for painting, very basic skills, and almost no natural talent can still produce stuff that looks nice on the table top. Because I have this thing about playing it painted.

So here goes, my first Mallifaux figure. Not based yet because I don't have a good idea which direction I want to go with the basng:

roninkillbill01.jpgroninkillbill02.jpgroninkillbill03.jpg

Great idea dude and realization is pretty good too. You especially did a good job with the yellow.

I agree with your basic skills point about having decent looking minis.

I also realize that your ronins cast (her sword exactly) had the same problem as mine.

I had to cut/sculpt it to look like a japanese style sword and not a popsicle...

Edited by Linus Mcmold

Thanks for the kind words, but as no-one said "Kill Bill" I guess it's a dismal failure. :-P.

I'm honestly shocked no one has said kill bill yet. That's the first thing I thought of! :D. On a more painting note, great job. I love the yellow (it's been one of the hardest colors to paint. :D)

Pretty awesome stuff there! Some regular cobblestone bases should look great enough with them. Unless you want a specific theme.

Yeah I thought of Kill Bill, but you need to learn how to paint hair because that is pretty basic right there.

This is actually pretty decent tabletop quality. I have seen quite a lot of worse hair than this. Dunno if you are exaggerating or trolling. Still: 'Actions speak louder than words.'

:P

RIMG0020.jpg

I'm loving the Kill Bill Ronin there. I could never get my black lines to be that straight

It is actually not THAT hard. You just gotta be patient and take your time. Also always paint darker stripes on lighter background, not the other way around. You can also always practice on paper or older models you plan on stripping. :)

Pretty awesome stuff there! Some regular cobblestone bases should look great enough with them. Unless you want a specific theme.

This is actually pretty decent tabletop quality. I have seen quite a lot of worse hair than this. Dunno if you are exaggerating or trolling. Still: 'Actions speak louder than words.'

:P

RIMG0020.jpg

Fry Meme: Not sure if Bishop is being used as an example, or is there to say, "Come at me bro".

Kill Bill was said. Specifically Viruk calling her "Black Mamba".

Kmdl1006,

Your wrong on at least 2 things.

The first is the fact no one noticed the figure is painted like "The Bride" from kill bill. That the first thing me and others thought, but your post saying it painted like "The Bride" beat us to the punch.

The second is that you are an average schmoe painting models for the table top. "The Bride" is painted very well and is above average. I would use the term table top quality, but I @#$%en hate that term now. That term covers any painted model on a table top no matter how well or poorly its painted.

Nighthater

*doffs hat in apology to Viruk*

I've not seen the movie and only knew of Thurman's character as "the bride."

@nighthater. I have experience with using only the most basic techniques to produce something that still looks nice. The only thing on this model that is not paint-wash-repaint highlights is the yellow. And that barely got any more work than that. Which is why I call it "table top." The painting style is geared towards painting as quickly as possible while looking good from playing distance.

• 2 weeks later...