Newbie Crew (McMourning)

Addam

This is a bit of a cross post, but thought this was the best place for it. I am brand new to Malifaux, infact, I own nothing. I am looking at picking some up soon, and trying to plan my purchase.

How dos this sound as a starting crew for McMourning?

Dr. McMourning (Alternate)

Zombie Chihuahua

Canine Remains x 3

Bette Noir

Rafkin

That would be 30 soulstones, but I'll also grab a Flesh Contruct II and/or Rogue Necromancy in hopes of bringing it in during the round. I realize this probably isn't a tournament winning round, but I think it would be fun enough for casual play? Also worth noting that I am purposefully avoiding getting anything that comes in the Body Thieves box set, so that's why I went with Rafkin instead of Sebastion. I think he still works with McM?

The crew you have here looks like a good start. With so many canine remains however, I would recommend taking Sebastian. Sebastian is a pretty good beat stick model for only 6SS and he synergizes with your canine remains. Rafkin makes Guild Autopsies and Mindless zombies (guild autopsies are just significant zombies that can get objectives, but they aren't good) and has a weak poisonous blast.

Although Rafkin works with Mcmourning, he is more of a support model and costs 7SS (which is kind of alot). Sebastian on the other hand, can heal, produce canine remains, has awesome melee ability, and still can collect body parts for Mcmourning all for 6SS. However, these are my opinions, and you still would do fine with Rafkin instead of Sebastian.

I agree that I would take Sebastian with McMourning as well, at least to start out. I do have the body thieves box set, but have still struggled to figure out how to best use the nurses. I haven't played many games but I have enjoyed using a rotten belle with McMourning every now and then.

I usually go for more what I enjoy playing with and if you are looking at being competitive you might not want to listen to me as I have lost more games than I have won.

I know that everyone says that the guild autopsies are horrible and I don't disagree but I like to summon them every now and then just to make the other person have to deal with them. That is what I love about resurrectionists you can end up with more models than you started with and your opponent kills something and you just bring it back. It is great to see that look of frustration.

I hope you enjoy the crew.

For someone starting out id say. Get the models you like the look of most. You will want to play them all the more. Id probably recomend getting the body thieves boxset as its great value and add a couple of blisters ontop of that and you will have a well rounded crew.

Remember in malifaux you tailor your crew to the strat so its always great to have a choice. Check out the pullmyfinger wiki. Will answer all the questions someone starting out could possibly ask .

Oh and welcome to malifaux :D

Only reason I can see Mcmourning using a nurse is if using the avatar and/or dog torpedoes. Its just not as effective as it used to be and you'd NEVER run more than one nurse in a game. They have that book one feeling to them that they're just outdated. Although stimulating guild autopsies you summoned wouldn't be too bad, but I can't remember their damage profile, didn't think it was that great.

A nurse can also be ridiculously good if you bringing a Bette Noir bringing - reactivating the bette noir gives upwards of 8 attacks (fast if someone died x2, 2 flurries) with paralyzing/slow and slit jugular is deadly.

Then Bette dies, gets buried and she reactivates next round after the first death.

+1 to what Tigerstyle said

So for further clarification.....

remember when sacrificed (like from stimulant) it bypasses slow to die as you are not killed. Leaving absolutely no way for bette to come back after being hopped up from stimulant.

Also Back to original post:

IMO I would ditch Rafkin for Sebastian or something else. I have often used a very fun and competative McM list that includes 6 doggies and Sebastian. If you want to stay away from the box set I would suggest Mortimer, the Hanged, Convict Gunslinger, or a Shikome. The nice thing about the good doctor is that he doesn't care much what you bring so just bring whatever you are the most enthused about.

Welcome to Malifaux!

Sacrifice ... right. Oops. Pulled that one on some poor unsuspecting neverborn player.

Have to reconsider the nurse.

The thing I love about Rafkin is he can act as a super nurse for the undead.

Keep him behind the lines and flask a MZ or Belle - cheat the damage to get straight flip and burst. It heals all of your undead and poisons the enemy.

7SS is a lot to spend on this though.

Thanks for all the comments guys, it is appreciated. The reason I am staying away from the Box set figures (and Sebastian) is because I figure I will eventually purchase it to expand on my options, and won't want duplicates.

Due to comments I am thinking of not taking Rafkin, and will perhaps look into a set of Belles or Hanged perhaps. I like the look of Guild Autopsies (and the fact that they are ranged) but they tend to get rather negative reviews as well.

Like mentioned previously if you like the way a model looks give it a shot. I like the way the autopsies look so I have some around to summon. I will be the first to admit that they aren't the greatest minion but they can be used successfully as a distraction and just generally get in the way. I would give a thumbs up to getting belles. I throw a belle in almost any list I put together. If you are considering belles I would suggest possibly getting the red chapel box set. You will get the Belles, and personally I just think Seamus is a blast to play with.

Sacrifice ... right. Oops. Pulled that one on some poor unsuspecting neverborn player.

Have to reconsider the nurse.

The thing I love about Rafkin is he can act as a super nurse for the undead.

Keep him behind the lines and flask a MZ or Belle - cheat the damage to get straight flip and burst. It heals all of your undead and poisons the enemy.

7SS is a lot to spend on this though.

Wait what?

Rafkins poison doesn't heal undead...

A good pairing with the nurse is mctavish. He can gain reactivate and put out 6 shots a turn. Just remember to do his 0 action dispel during the reactivate and hold onto a card for it or he is gone quick. Nurses don't seem like they do much but they can be very useful. I used one to prevent a loss by prevent my opponent from being able to kill models for slaughter.

• 3 weeks later...
Bete reburying herself doesn't end the sacrifice effect from Massive Dose, so she'd still be permanently out of the game at the end of the turn.

How come? How can she be affected by an effect when not in play? And even if she is, she can't be sacced from bury...?

But on the topic, Bete is pure murder, Nurses are not that good as, even though Massive Dose-effects are good, you need to use something to kill the Dosed model before it is sacced.

And for the third time or so, why would anyone ever use McTavish as you can pay one more stone and get Sue? McTavish is just too expensive. Both have Shrug Off.

Or, on a different note, Mortimer.

Welcome to the Resurrectionists. :)