Harmless - any good?

PokiePrawn

Has anyone ever found Harmless to be particularly useful? Having several models that have harmless, I have never been able to get any benefit, and actually have been hurt by the ability at least a couple of times (Chompy!). The test at best costs your opponent a mid-card and those that have harmless often have low wounds or defense, so they may not need another one. So many abilities get around it (wicked, terrifying, etc) and it only lasts until the model does something – often limiting the model’s ability early in the game.

If compared to terrifying and other abilities is there any advantage to it? Am I missing something?

A thought for you to perhaps feel a little better about it. While it is often true that your opponent's models pass the Harmless test save for the off chance and often then they use a card think of these two scenerios.

First, they wanted to keep that card. Perhaps you have models with decapication or headshot. I know when I play Misaki my opponents hate even dropping mid-low cards, as that only increases the threat of having being sacced. Also they could have that card be one that Suit might have helped had they not had to drop it. I know I have gotten to watch my opponent's face twist when they had to drop a seven of mask for one of those, they could not warrent using their high cards on it but at the same time had wanted that card too. Also I have had a lucky player or two that had like 4-5 strong cards in hand and be forced to drop a 10 to pass a harmless test where they would have prefered to have used it for combat or defense.

The second thing to consider is there deck. So they flipped that 7+ to pass the Harmless test, that is another 7+ card they don't have in their deck any longer. If it is not high enough they might have to cheat or just take another attack, if it is high enough that card might have been their actual attack. Even if they flip a higher card after that, that is now two signifigant cards out of their deck for the turn. And the second card might have been a damage flip. Sure it is a smaller value but it is still there, it either draws a card out of their hand or a mid to high card out of their deck.

It is hard to see the benefits of Harmless but they are there. Are they good enough for me to keep harmless on my models? well often no, I would rather the model did what it needed to do. If what it needed to do was walk to a good place, then I'm, typically happy with harmless. Regaining Harmless can be useful especially if its an action I haven't got a use for.

If they have several 6s and 7s in their hand then you have given them a use for them, but typically they are only going to have 1 or 2 mid range cards in hand and most models I find aren't killing a model in 1 hit. You have made them use a couple of moderate to good cards. It has cost you nothing. (You still have the defense dual to get through)

It is hard to see the benefits of Harmless but they are there. Are they good enough for me to keep harmless on my models? well often no, I would rather the model did what it needed to do. If what it needed to do was walk to a good place, then I'm, typically happy with harmless. Regaining Harmless can be useful especially if its an action I haven't got a use for.

If they have several 6s and 7s in their hand then you have given them a use for them, but typically they are only going to have 1 or 2 mid range cards in hand and most models I find aren't killing a model in 1 hit. You have made them use a couple of moderate to good cards. It has cost you nothing. (You still have the defense dual to get through)

but forcing them them to use the 6-7+ to attack your model means they can't use that 6-7 to hit your model

nobody wants to be ditching there cards for harmless checks, it's practly a waste

Also gremlins