Misaki Crew

Super Lo-Fi

Be very careful with how you use Ototo and Misaki. I've used a list almost exactly like this, and found it to be very, very effective at eliminating targets. The problem is that you have little to do in an attrition war, because many of those models (Archers) are fairly fragile. Pick your targets well, and try not to send things in unsupported. In objective games, like the new Line in the Sand variant, I think you might run into some problems just from your low model count. Honestly, I would recommend dropping Shang for an additional three Soulstones. If Ototo gets dropped, Misaki becomes your primary workhorse and she'll really shine by having extra soulstones to up her survivability and damage.

For general purpose games, I've been running:

Ten Thunders Crew - 35 - Scrap

Misaki, Mistress of the Ten Thunders -- 5 Pool

Kang [8ss]

Ototo [8ss]

Torakage [6ss]

Torakage [6ss]

Torakage [6ss]

But now that I have Yamaziko, I might drop Kang for her, giving me two more stones. The Torakage can certainly get around the battlefield. Ninja vanish...Ninja reappear on an objective.

I run the exact same thing when I use Misaki. People complain about 10T archers quite often but they are my favorite ranged unit in the game right now. Sometimes the list works well, others not so much. Keep the Torakage buried and out of harm's way as much as you can to keep your archers and Misaki out of danger. Pick the thing that scares you most on the table and pulverize it. Then, move on to the next one. As earlier stated they have trouble with a game of attrition. Against most crews you will be able to effectively cripple them early game. Watch out for Resurrectionists. You can kill them all day long to no effect and you will probably need to adopt something new to deal with them. Still trying to figure out what that is. Trading Shang for more SS might not be a bad idea either. While I definitely enjoy the benefits he provides the extra stones help keep Misaki alive. As long as you don't go on a stone burning offensive spree they should last. Just practice shouting "decapitate'.

So this is a straight 10T crew list that I am thinking about bringing:

Ten Thunders Crew - 35 - Scrap

Misaki, Mistress of the Ten Thunders
--
4 Pool

Shang [3ss]

• Ototo
    [8ss]

• Ten Thunders Archer
    [6ss]

• Ten Thunders Archer
    [6ss]

• Torakage
    [6ss]

• Yamaziko
    [6ss]

What tactics would you pros use with this list?

I think you are going to have problems with Ototo being too slow. Only one Torakage means you are going to have to decide whether to help Ototo around the table, work on objectives with him or deliver Misaki early. You might be able to get away with it by having the two archers on the table, but that is going to be very match-up dependent. I also wouldn't drop shang if you are going to run two archers. Shang's only spell available to him actually has a purpose when you are running archers. One last thing... Archers are HUGE card hogs. A single archer's activation could drain your hand. They want high cards from every suit. For this reason, I don't know that running two of them is a great idea. I would drop an archer for a torakage. I also would probably only take one scheme with this list to take advantage of the +2SS. You definitely want more than 4 SS with Misaki.

at 25 I run the following list and I can say for certain that it will never change:

Misaki + 4 SS for 8 to start

Shang

Torakage

Torakage

Yamaziko

My 35 isn't set in stone yet and I think needs to wait for more models to be released before I make up my mind.

Archers are HUGE card hogs. A single archer's activation could drain your hand. They want high cards from every suit.

Huh? They have only 2 triggers. One is defensive (mask) which you shouldn't need often.......and the attack one wants the tome, but if you don't have the tome.....nothing else matters after that. Cb6 with plenty of :+fate possibilities means they don't need cards very often at all.

I also use Ototo a lot and I usually only run one Torakage. Occasionally he gets side-lined but he works great as a 2nd -stringer anyway. I'm fine with one Torakage.

Huh? They have only 2 triggers. One is defensive (mask) which you shouldn't need often.......and the attack one wants the tome, but if you don't have the tome.....nothing else matters after that. Cb6 with plenty of :+fate possibilities means they don't need cards very often at all.

I also use Ototo a lot and I usually only run one Torakage. Occasionally he gets side-lined but he works great as a 2nd -stringer anyway. I'm fine with one Torakage.

Fair enough. Goes to show how it can be played in a variety of ways, but for me, to get the full effect from the archers I need a hand stocked for them to go to town. Which means a card valuing 7 or higher for Yajiri (for some reason I always fail the initial flip on this and have to cheat it), a high tome and a ram or crow for the extra shot (preferably a high ram or crow for the extra damage), a high mask for when they get engaged, then more high cards for your second and maybe third shots to make sure that they hit in order to really take advantage of whatever you used yajiri for.

On the flip side you could use the 0 action for the positive flip on a single attack instead of yajiri and play them completely differently. I just tend to play them as card hogs.

The list you have is okay for kill strategies, but is really lacking in any objective grabbing capability. If you are going for an objective based strat try dropping the two archers for a second torekage and a wastrel with petrified feather. First turn bury the torekage and move the wastrel 18 inches with his petrified feather as your last activation. Then at the end of the turn you unbury your two torekage within 8 inches of the wastrel and you can almost always get three objectives at the beginning of turn 2.

I'd also swap out Ototo for Kang unless you are going against ressers.

Archers are great, they arent intensive on resources at all and cycle through a deck quite quickly once you start getting their triggers off.

Torakage are brilliant, I cant ever see myself not bringing 2 along into a game along with Yamaziko.

Shang I like his mobility and that he is a good source to cast downburst but will be trying games without him as well.

Ototo is not someone I will always field, I think having access to a Ronin at times is a better beatstick piece and more mobile independently. Oiran are handy 4ss models taht you shouldnt discount either.

The list you have is okay for kill strategies, but is really lacking in any objective grabbing capability. If you are going for an objective based strat try dropping the two archers for a second torekage and a wastrel with petrified feather. First turn bury the torekage and move the wastrel 18 inches with his petrified feather as your last activation. Then at the end of the turn you unbury your two torekage within 8 inches of the wastrel and you can almost always get three objectives at the beginning of turn 2.

I'd also swap out Ototo for Kang unless you are going against ressers.

Quick question on that: Do all the Torakage have to appear within 8" of a single 10T model, or can they each pop up within 8" of a different 10T model?

Quick question on that: Do all the Torakage have to appear within 8" of a single 10T model, or can they each pop up within 8" of a different 10T model?

They can pop out next to different 10T models. I just usually get my wastrel closest to my objectives on turn one though. There have been many times when I split up who they come out within 8" of though.

---------- Post added at 04:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:41 PM ----------

Also, don't forget about 10T Brothers. The ability to companion for an alpha strike and the extra AP are really nice.

They can pop out next to different 10T models. I just usually get my wastrel closest to my objectives on turn one though. There have been many times when I split up who they come out within 8" of though.

---------- Post added at 04:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:41 PM ----------

Also, don't forget about 10T Brothers. The ability to companion for an alpha strike and the extra AP are really nice.

Oh, good, I didn't cheat, then. My ninjas each popped out near objectives, that were 8" from two different models. In this case, Misaki did a lap around the outside to drop a ninja near one, and Kang dropped off the other in my opponent's deployment zone.

I'd like to try a few games replace Otototototototototo with Kang, but I really don't wanna drop 35 bucks for one model. I appreciate all of the input though...

Proxy him in in friendly games, for now, maybe even using Ototototototo as your Kang to see if he shows the potential to be worth it.

Adding Mei Feng to your choices of selectable 10T masters, though, is worth it, imo.

To get slightly off topic (briefly), I've played a lot with Mei Feng recently, and contrary to general "internet wisdom", I find that she isn't just a poor man's Misaki, but does a lot of good stuff on her own (supporting her crew better than Misaki does). The rail workers are also very useful in 10 thunders crews, though I'm currently torn between them and ronin.

Back on topic, how are people using Shang? I've not used him yet, but my theory-faux suggests that he's pretty expensive and doesn't do much of use (when compared to another ronin for 2 more stones) except his very situational Misaki re-flip.

I'm finding 2 Torakage to be awesome. The ability to have a beater (Misaki/Mei/Kang/Ototo... even ronin/rail workers) with a potential 24" danger zone (1 Torakage on either side, up to 12" away) is amazing. Anything which leaves your opponent unsure to that extent has got to be good.

On the Kang vs Ototo chat, I think they're both extremely good for different things. I like to throw Kang out as a lure, whereas I hold Ototo back until I can Tora-swap him in to flurry on something worthwhile. They work in very different ways, against different opponents. At the moment however, I'm planning out a "beatstick-free" crew (Misaki is perfectly capable of killing anything, and ronin/rail workers are good at it too... for 3ss cheaper). Both Kang and Ototo are expensive, and in a crew which usually doesn't have many activations, that can cause problems.

Anyway, as with all things, I'd say try out your crew and see how it works for you. The internet always has opinions about everything (usually either that the thing is useless or overpowered), but if you personally can/can't make it work, then what the internet thinks is pretty useless.

I played this Misaki list last night versus Mei Feng. He had Mei Feng, Karis, two RailWorkers, Kang, and Joss. He had the Supply Wagon strategy and I had Reconnoiter. My Schemes were Saving Face and Emptied Pockets. He had Framed for Murder (Joss) and Stake a Claim. We were playing on the Terraclips Sewers/Buildings. I was able to get the win with 6VP to his 2VP. He scored when I killed Joss, I made sure to make quick work of him...he can have the VP. Ototo killed the Supply Wagon in Round 4. Yamiziko got a Red Joker when healing Misaki in Round 5, so I was able to get the Reconnoiter and prevent him from scoring Stake a Claim with a Diving Charge at Kang who was camping the terrain piece. It was a great game.

I'm going from the original list posted up. It's the one that I use almost exclusively in 35SS Scraps and the one I am most experienced with.

I find that Misaki and the Torakage are the most manouverable models in the crew, and using Mistaken Identity with Ototo is key to getting him in a prime place to deal huge damage. Misaki has the potential to move 25" in one turn (3 x Walk + 2 x Shadow) and with her Diving Attack can reach any model on the board provided they are within her (formidable) 10" combat range.

Yamaziko and Shang both complement Misaki very well. Yamaziko provides much more utility to the entire crew with Invigorate, as well as her other Pulse and Area spells that deny Terrify and up WP. She's also a potent model in her own right. Brace is almost as good as Defensive Stance and Spirit of Youth gives her amazing offensive potential too.

Shang really comes into his own before Misaki can use her 'You're Mine' ability. The ability to re-flip the initial card in a duel is huge - I have often flipped a low card initially only to flip a 10 or higher using Lucky Charm. He's worth his 3SS cost if just for the added lethality he provides Misaki on her important charge turn. He's got a mediocre melee and ranged attack, although I tend to use his AP to fly around the board and keep close to Misaki.

Ototo is a bit of red herring. His damage output is so great that (provided the cards are right) I have wiped out 3-4 models in one of his activations; especially if he has Enrage'd beforehand. Most of the time players target him almost exclusively and he dies without landing a blow. I'm not sure whether I am happy with this re-direction of firepower away from Misaki, but with Misaki's naturally high Df and Bulletproof 2 I suppose I can't blame them. My games with Ototo usually go one of two ways; either he gets set loose and does an absolute tonne of damage, or he gets shut down very early which *usually* gives Misaki the freedom to pick the fight she wants. As I tend towards themed crews rather than optimised I'm keeping him in just for that reason if no other.

All in all I find that this crew composition provides an immense amount of killing power, but at the expense of (some) manoeuvrability. The Torakage and Misaki notwithstanding, the crew is rather slow, and *can* struggle to complete Strategies such as Line in the Sand, and others that rely upon a lot of movement tricks to complete. If you do come across a movement-heavy Strategy, I would heartily recommend swapping an Archer for another Torakage to provide you with the additional movement tricks you need to win those games.

Hope this helps!

- Valtyr

Thanks a lot. I'm fairly new to the game and this crew, especially. I've actually not even used Shadow in a game. I forget it is there. I will try it out next time I play for sure.

Thank you as well. Reading that entry, I realized I hadn't used Shadow, either, but then I remembered why: Had Misaki running around the outside, down the back alley, to get her into position to drop off a Torakage on an Evidence marker. So she had no LoS to even use it until maybe turn 3. By then, she just charged in and began murdering things.

Forgot to capitalize on You're Mine, also, but it would have just saved me from having to cheat in a card that time.

At my current build, I've excluded poor Shang in favor of Yamaziko, but I probably shouldn't. Rush of Magic and Lucky Charm are probably worth at least the 3ss on their own. Shang's Flight and the Torakage's Mistaken Identity can also pair nicely with each other. [It's a lot faster to teleport than to Arachnid wall crawl into position.]

I have now a good many games with Misaki under my belt and I can honestly say I have only used Shadowing once. I should have used it a few times but much like i_was_like_you my Misaki generally slinks about or I don't want her moving off alone after her target. It might be because right now most of our people are using Lilith, McMourning, Lady Justice, the Viks, or other beat sticks you don't want to move towards and suddenly find yourself in attack range. I will have to keep it in mind more, perhaps to catch them off guard and get that movement so it can get me in range, but alot of the times I am not certain with my hand I can take them either.

As for Your Mine, God I love that ability. It does so much more then just save me cheating cards, it makes people afraid. The positive card on attack is nice, as sometimes I don't have to use the card in my hand, but the positive flip on damage has been gold. It has allowed me much greater control on damage output so I don't waste attacks or sometimes cards. Being able to inflict just enough damage to kill a minion in 2 swings *charge and melee expert attack* rather than needing all three has given me the ability to retreat, move, interact, or possible attack.

I have also been playing with and with out Shang, mostly depending on Soulstone size. I have been finding he does not tend to show up in my list unless it is at least 30 stones *we have been playing alot of 25ss due to Dead of Winter*. I have missed his abilities but I have also liked the fact for two more stones I have been able to included a Ronin or for one more a Wastrel. Signifiant models have been to important of late in strategies. Of the last couple times that I have taken Shang he has died every time. Of the last three, twice have been from using Lucky Charm till he died and once from Blast damage when he was trying to bottle in an enemy model. He takes so much damage from Lucky Charm in the games I have used him that it is often what kills him or leaves him hanging on a shred.