Showgirls,..

Webmonkey

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so what do you guys think? I know it's incomplete at the moment, but the focus here is on the transparency of the leggings. Too thick? too thin? more flesh tone? less?? Once again,.. yes I know, crappy picture,...

oh,.. and also, you'll have to account for the glare dying down once it's matte coated,.. I don't intend the legging to remain that shiny.

As always,.. thoughts are welcome,.. critisims encouraged,..

[ATTACH=CONFIG]11194[/ATTACH]

It really depends on what you want to achieve. If you want near black, then it looks good to me. If you want a more see through black, you definitely need more skin tone. It helps to check out stockings online *PERV ALERT* and gander at those fine lady legs.

You can see that in every kind of pantyhose or stocking, it gets increasingly darker in places where the material gets bunched up together. You wouldn't need to paint up a whole lot. Just the areas where the fabric is tightened on the leg.

Is it not covering that well? I just see a lot of pewter still. Unless its jjust a trick of the light.

---------- Post added at 09:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:15 PM ----------

Im sure others like Mako and EBM can show me up quite eeasily, but for the stockings in my crew here:

8vJ4D.jpg

I started with a bleach bone spray base, painted up the skin to elf flesh (or skin tone of your choice) and then used a very watered down (stocking colour). Watered down to the point its really just ink or wash. Think dirty paint cup water. Then just carefully painted over the skin tone. It doesn't looks as good as some of the other Showgirls I've seen, but its a very easy technique

---------- Post added at 09:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:24 PM ----------

I think it comes out best on Cassie

The skin is a tad bit too pale for my tastes. But otherwise it aint bad at all. I especially like how you pulled off the multi colored variant of the Colette crew. I couldn't pull that off. I have this weird thing in my head that my models have to be in a way uniform or at least share the same basic color structures. Something you will see once I start my Colette crew.

Also, I absolutely love those bases! Gimme! D:<

Neither am I. Im perfect and thus everything I do must be perfect. Flawless logic as ever, me.

:Smug_Puppet1:

XD

true,.. but any girl who's job it is to be attractive,.. knows to work on her tan,..

Maybe by today's Dorito Orange™ beauty standards, but we're talking about the early 1900s. I think they may have been on the pale is pretty, tan means she works like a man kinda standards. The two tend to fluctuate back and forth quite a bit.

I like the ethnic excuse! My first showgirl was some variety of ethnic. Not sure where as it changed as I worked on the painting recipe...

Definitely much improved on her stockings now Web, they're looking see through. How're you enjoying painting them? The trickiest part I always find is getting them smooth. Which you've done a pretty good job of, so if you decide to work on them any more (depends on how long you want to fiddle with them, for rapidly diminishing returns!) then go really careful. With tiny bits of paint so thin its barely colored water!

I wouldn't say you needed to mess with them any more though. They're good as they are

Which then raises an interesting topic for discussion and debate. Ethnic disparody in miniature painting.

Most of the time, most models you see are painted as white folk. So my question to you then becomes,.. why?

Is it because most gamers are white males? (note: this statement is based on my own personal experience at game stores, from coast to coast across the U.S.) Is it because most models are designed in such a way as to have straight hair, designating it as white instead of black or otherwise? Is it simply habit to grab the lighter flesh skin tones when painting models?

I think it would be interesting to see a larger range of variety on the battlefield.

These are just a few of the things I thought about,.. I'm sure there's more. Anyways, from here, I'll open the discussion up for the rest of you to put in your 2 cents,..

I think part of it is the fact at painting white skin is a little easier to make it look realistic. Which is quite possibly helped by the better range of pale skin tones available. It's probably also a bit to do with the way classical fantasy works, I'm way back in the day. All the classic races are usually seen as some sort of white (dwarves, medieval style humans, dwarves). So it becomes the default thing to do, and to sculpt for.

These days it's getting more common to see a variety of ethnicities in models as people experiment and sculptors and game designers venture into different historical eras and such. Which is good, more variation is always nice.

But then I wouldn't say it actually matters to me - I don't actually think about sexism or racism in games, because they're just games. Badly sculpted stuff (over endowed women wearing less clothing than a page three girl being the classic case) is much more annoying *grin*

The concept art for McTavish and the Union Miner both looked to be men of color. But the official paint job on McTavish put him as caucasian. The sculpt of the Union Miner did the same.

---------- Post added at 10:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:17 PM ----------

But then I wouldn't say it actually matters to me - I don't actually think about sexism or racism in games, because they're just games. Badly sculpted stuff (over endowed women wearing less clothing than a page three girl being the classic case) is much more annoying *grin*

Then you're in the wrong game, mate. :P

:P oh, I don't know, lady J is well dressed, Victoria is (ok, scantily clad) passably realistically shaped, the performers show a bit of leg but nothing too bad. And i'd forgive them more cos I have a soft spot for showgirls *wink* All in all, malifaux doesn't do too bad.

If you want to see what Lady J could have been if things had gone badly, try googling 'sword melusine' lol

---------- Post added at 04:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:25 AM ----------

Web, quick, put some new pictures of your girls up before I really derail this thread! *grin*

And why are you hating on the Page 3 girls? They're doing their share to keep papers in circulation.*beer.goggles*

Bild takes things further than just a page 3 girl. Bottom half of the front page, hot girl. Page 3, hot girl. Back page, celebrity vacation bikini pics. It's gotta make reading the paper so much better.

Tragic headline story, flip to hot girl. Depressing editorial, flip to hot girl. Sports team lost, flip to celebrity bikini shots.

So, lack of believable skintones seems to be a commonality for some of you. And I have to agree. There is not a wide enough range available. I may try and make such a unit in the future though.

As for my colette, I've chosen purple as the dress color, and some of the upper torso see thru as well. I'll post more pics soon.

So, lack of believable skintones seems to be a commonality for some of you. And I have to agree. There is not a wide enough range available. I may try and make such a unit in the future though.

Yeah, to an extent. Made painting my Convict Gunslinger, McTavish, and Marcus (regular, alt, and avi) a bit of a challenge, but I think I did alright. I have no clue what I'm going to do about Three Kingdoms skin tones.

[Still haven't fully embraced the challenge of painting the cerebus as all black. Can't quite get the highlighting and lowlighting to look like anything more than priming it solid black.]

next update,...

Did a bit of a re-work on the upper section of the leggings. Went for a bit of a fishnet look instead of just solid black upper bands. I also carried the fishnet up into the center section of the corset. Most of the other Colette models I've seen have solid colors painted across the whole corset. I thought this might give it a little added dimension of sex-appeal.

Now, I just gotta figure out what color the jacket and gloves are going to be,.. thoughts??

(Can't seem to get good pics. I really need to invest in a good photo setup. Anyways, here's two photos that I hope show the work with various light and backgrounds. Hopefully between the two you can get a feel for what I've done)

As always,.. critisims encouraged,..

post-8871-13911927827846_thumb.jpg

post-8871-13911927828296_thumb.jpg

I'm gonna have to show the base soon and get some thoughts on that too,...