Showgirls,..

Webmonkey

Ok,.. finally opened my Collette box and got started on my showgirls. This particular manniquin had a rather nasty mold-line in it. The left and right half were off by about 1/32", almost as though the mold had slid when they were casting it or taking it apart or something. Anyways, a few hours with a file and a bit of green-stuff,.. and here is the result.

I had to sacrifice some of the details in the head to make it happen though. But still, the end result is passable I think,...

post-8871-13911927183528_thumb.jpg

post-8871-13911927184629_thumb.jpg

post-8871-1391192718557_thumb.jpg

post-8871-13911927186521_thumb.jpg

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks,.. my sculpting seems to be getting better and worked out pretty good on this one, even if my painting is a little lackluster,.. (compared to some at least)

---------- Post added at 03:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:07 PM ----------

Great paint job. Too bad the clumsy thing will trip over its own base. :P

Thanks, but I still need more practice with my shadows and highlights. It still always feels a bit "blocky" to me. Just haven't been able to figure out the smooth transitions between colors. But this one did turn out a bit better then my usual attempts. I paint very well in solid colors, and am pretty much a pro at blacklining. But the more realisitic color fading technique seems to escape me for some reason or other.

I think most painters suffer with this complex. I for one feel like I am a hack at painting and modeling, even though I am constantly trying to improve. Yet I am frequently complimented on my work. I think some of it boils down to the fact that there is always someone better. (On here, we all seem to get inferiority complexes from Mako). *grin* Not sure what his excuse is.

I get embarrassed when people tell me I'm good! I have plenty of people I look at enviously too, some of them on here. There's always someone better. The trick is to be happy with your best, because it's your best!

And this is good stuff, neat clean and bright. And you did a damn good job of fixing the mould slip!

I spent a long time just trying to get it fixed. I'm sad about losing the detail in the head. But the filing process killed it on the left side of the head, so I went ahead and smoothed out the right side too. But still, like I said in the opening post,.. I'm happy enough with the end result, especially given what I had to start with.

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe I should just stick to painting solid colors. All my attempts at shading and highlighting still keep coming out chalky and with "steps" between the colors, no matter how many thin layers I try to use. I still must be missing something in the process, but can't seem to figure out what it is.

---------- Post added at 09:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:03 PM ----------

Not sure,.. probably toss a red in there, and a purple,.. not sure about the others yet though. But thanks for the kind words.

I've tried several different processes,.. base coat, shade, highlight,.. or several thin layers, working from the darkest color up to the highlights,.. like I said, no matter what process I try, the end result seems to be the same. I just can't seem to get that smooth color transition.

---------- Post added at 09:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:10 PM ----------

Note in the above photos,.. it doesn't look "shaded",.. but rather more "dirty",... if that makes sense.

Have you tried wet blending?

It is a method, I personally dislike, but people do use it to create blends and after some practice it can look pretty good too.

What you do is paint a darker base coat somewhere and then a lighter base coat on the other side and then kind of blend in the two paints while they are wet. You basically drag in the lighter or darker paint into the respective other's zone to create a combined color of the two.

I am sure Youtube has one or the other tutorials on wet blending up. Try that? :)

I'm always trying to improve my painting, and add new techniques to my portfolio. But I seem to have reached a "plateau" in effect. I hope I haven't gotten as good as I'm going to, I'd like to still be able to improve. And lord knows there's room for it. I would like to eventually get to the point of being one of the "painting gods" that I see on this and other forums. But alas,... it seems my fate to be mediocre, at best.

You'd think after 10yrs of painting minis, that I'd be better then this. My table-top quality is spot on perhaps,.. but my showcase quality is,.. well,.. non-existant. Maybe I'm being too hard on myself, but it's frustrating me that there's this "wall" that I can't seem to get past.

The only way a person can get better is by practicing and experimenting. I am pretty sure I could do a really good job at painting, since I do know how to blend and layer well. I just do not use it because it takes too much time for me to do so. Take your time and go easy on yourself. When trying new stuff, it wont come out right on the first few tries.

To be honest, I wouldn't be too upset, if I wouldn't turn out to be as talented as some people on these forums *cough* Mako *cough*. In the end, I am content with tabletop quality. These models are being used and it would be a shame for a really high quality painted model to fall down and chip off some paint whilst playing with it.

I can only agree. I might resort to only painting models I will not play with as display models. In the end I would be too fidgety to play with them, in the end.

I already am with the models I am currently running. Instead of putting a model on a slope I tell my opponent it is there and place it on a flat surface next to it. xD

I do that too. Not for the paint job so much, as arms and stuff tend to pop off when the model falls over, and reglueing and touching up paint is a pain in the ass. My #1 cause of model damage,.. other players,..

but then again, fixing and repainting your figs is parts of the hobby I guess.