OOTers on Speed- A Painting Contest

edonil

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

70ulup.jpg

Whew. It was certainly intense. Ten minutes more would've done a world of good for this mini but I'm kinda happy with the end result anyway.

I went with a monochrome clothing (though with quite a bit of different hues and really a lot of different paint pots used - the camera unfortunately ate the differences a bit - the shirt is in reality quite different from the vest and the trousers) with blue skin (red around the eyes for that extra touch of sinister) and green blade (it is, after all poisoned, and everyone knows that poison means green). Hoping to draw the eye towards the important bits, since they are the only bits of colour, really (other than the rusted pieces of metal on the ground).

Having time to finally go look at the different entries a bit more closely I thought to comment a bit.

MAC: Amazing! The mini is what - twice the size of mine? And yet you managed to finish nicely. My hat's off to you, sir! I also really like the skin tone - it's pink but not at all garish and looks actually really natural. I also feel it fits the character of the mini - though demonic he really doesn't look all that brutally evil but rather a bit more insidious. Lovely work.

Victoria: the pics are a bit dark but Wastrels kinda are the sort to lurk in dark alleys. I like the scheme you've chosen for him and the pinstripe pants seem like a crazy thing to attempt in an hour! I feel that you have really brought the mini to life in a way. Would love to see brighter pics.

Peterdita: the pics are a bit small (especially as it is two minis) but MY GOD IT'S TWO MINIS! Utterly crazy. I see that you've gone with a colour scheme of how the poor sods might've actually been dressed when getting hanged as opposed to a colour scheme of evil manifestations from beyond the grave which is a valid choice for these. I also really like your bases, though I personally would've done them a bit darker to make the minis pop a bit more. The rope as a central thing makes for a good and appropriate eye-catcher for these. Extremely impressive all in all.

Demonn Agram: Very smooth! I feel that the model is perhaps too insanely difficult to make really work in a single hour since there's so little detail - it kinda cries out for an elaborate freehand and there really isn't time for one. That said, I like the extreme neatness of the piece and that orange is very impressive. The base is also really, really nice. I like the serenity of the scene.

SteamHammer: Another big mini. This one looks like it could use a bit more contrast in that the fur texture could be brought out a bit more. I do very much like the fact that you have spent some extra time on the mouth forming a clear focal point for the mini.

Guzojec: Now this one looks evil. Downright sinister in fact. You have really brought forth the creepiness of the mini with the desolate base accentuating the feel. An extremely good paintjob all in all - very impressive. I love the hues of the skin and the hood looks great. Very smooth all in all. Kudos!

Mister Monkey: A big mini and normal sized mini. I dunno, I feel that's sorta ridiculous. Damn you're fast! The scheme you've chosen is very nice as well. The reddish skin of Snow fits her very well and all in all the white broken up by bits of intense colour makes for a great look. There's a couple of spots where the time has certainly run out a bit but all in all that's crazy impressive to be able to finish such a huge piece. Sheesh.

Demonn Agram: You have got to be kidding me. Three minis? Whaaat? And they look absolutely fantastic as well! The pics are a bit on the small side but I love the flame effects and the dark red skin. The loincloths maybe could've been some other colour, that brown is a bit drab, I think. Your bases are again fantastic. Insanely fast. Considering the time the flames are kinda insane I think. Bravo!

Viruk: Again, I feel that the sculpt is hard to do justice to in such a short time. Especially so with that scheme. However, I think that the end result looks really good, actually. I love his face and the feel is again really there, I think. Would be great to see some other angles as well, since I really like what you've done with the claws but it's a bit difficult to appreciate fully from the pic. Very good job, seriously!

MDL1113: It's a quirky mini with a lot of detail. Certainly a tough one, I think. A really good pic, I must say! I also like how you've really gone to town with the colours. The metal looks a bit boring, though - could use some warmth to it, I think. I do like how you've chosen clearly brighter palette for the mini as opposed to the base. So even though the base has a lot going on and introduces new colours and all, it doesn't detract at all from the mini. Love the bowtie, btw!

Normski: ooh, yeah, dry it looks great! Really looks like a Union worker, I must say! And that's a very good shade of red you've used. Even though it's the only strong colour on the piece, I don't feel it taking center stage but rather it nicely frames the important stuff. Very cool!

edonil: he looks great! Your paintjob really fits the piece I think. Normally I would say that the purple looks a bit out of place but I think that is the idea, really. Really like how you've managed to make the coat, shirt and belt all brown but with very good variation and yet keeping the mini interesting. Very good!

nice one! well done (even if it did take you longer :) ), you should be proud!

@math:

thanks for writing a review for all the entries (I'd give you a heart as well - but for some reason I can't :Confused_Puppet: )

anyway, tomorrow morning I plan on doing the same.. (giving time for the Americans and their time difference to finish their entries)...

also, waiting on Guardian :slap:, my club mate, for his entry. Hoping he won't let me and Gujozec be the only ones from Zagreb to participate... *time*

Edited by Demonn Agram

also, waiting on Guardian :slap:, my club mate, for his entry. Hoping he won't let me and Gujozec be the only ones from Zagreb to participate... *time*

Perhaps Guardian can't enter cause he's too busy being a chicken. :-P

I seem to remember hearing some clucking noise... It grew fainter as the weekend wore on..

now it's barely audible... so you must be right :-P

that's how real painters speak! and what they do!

Not that clucking noise that Guardian produces while he hides *grin*

---------- Post added at 11:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:41 PM ----------

@Demonn & Gujozec: IN YO FACE! :D

2013-01-13222007_zps3a52c431.jpg

2013-01-13232506_zps2b278aa5.jpg

2013-01-13232521_zps782199e4.jpg

PS. the 5 min difference is for walking my dog... xD

PPS. I suck at speed painting! :D