Let's pick the Winners and Losers of Book 4

Jonas Albrecht

Sticking with what I know, I believe the Guild's are:

Winner: The Wastrels So Guild already has a super speedy, utilitarian objective grabber for cheaps, but now it has a super speedy, utilitarian objective grabber that can kill things. The Guild is awash in great 4 point models, but now it has a serious contender for top spot in that category.

Loser: Sidir Alchibal Sad times. He's a good model with the price of a great model. While the Guild didn't really get any new Pistoleros this year, his high price and lack of AP modifier means that you have better options for a stone less or a stone more.

I will agree that the Wastrels are big winners.

Sticking with what I know, I believe the Guild's are:

Loser: Sidir Alchibal Sad times. He's a good model with the price of a great model...

I disagree with this, though. Sidir, when I have played him, is a great model. He survives longer than just about anything and can lay down some serious hurt. High resistance to spells and to dying plus some very good weapons has made me glad to have Sidir along. Plus, he can lay out a couple buffs and some cover (part of what makes him difficult to kill, but can also benefit the rest of his team) which can be very useful.

I'm not trying to toot the horn of a playtest group I happened to be a part of, but I really don't think there are many losers in this book. The weakest model (Chiaki the Niece) is still pretty useful, and there are some really great pieces for all factions. Of course there will be a few models that don't fit a particular playstyle, but that doesn't make them losers. I'm not all that enthused about McCabe, to be honest, but he's still a really good master. Others might not be super excited about the Rail Workers, but to some players they're probably one of the best things ever, because all the models have some use. My 2¢

Winners:basically the entire book that has 10t characteristic on it, not really a bad 10t piece , if your looking for crooligans or a malifaux child this book just doesn't have it.

I have an out of the box loser, that being the Illuminated: I'll caveat by saying in a 10t based jacob crew 1 is from time to time an inclusion for me, however when you compare them to what else neverborn have to offer they certainly fall down. They are 6 pts for cb5 and cb4 ranged attack, the beckoner is a stone less to take with a better ranged attack. The Illuminated provide some tricks for neverborn but not enough when for a pt more you could take one of the tripplets. Its not that illuminated are bad, its that they are an interesting niche role for jacob but fall down when you compare it to other options in the neverborn faction at least in my opinion. I'd would have had no complaint if they had received duel faction.

I'm not trying to toot the horn of a playtest group I happened to be a part of, but I really don't think there are many losers in this book. The weakest model (Chiaki the Niece) is still pretty useful, and there are some really great pieces for all factions. Of course there will be a few models that don't fit a particular playstyle, but that doesn't make them losers. I'm not all that enthused about McCabe, to be honest, but he's still a really good master. Others might not be super excited about the Rail Workers, but to some players they're probably one of the best things ever, because all the models have some use. My 2¢

Yeah, the "bad" in book 4 isn't really all that bad.

I disagree with this, though. Sidir, when I have played him, is a great model. He survives longer than just about anything and can lay down some serious hurt. High resistance to spells and to dying plus some very good weapons has made me glad to have Sidir along. Plus, he can lay out a couple buffs and some cover (part of what makes him difficult to kill, but can also benefit the rest of his team) which can be very useful.

His Hunting Blind is super useful to Wastrels as well. The reason I call Sidir a "good" model, and he is at the very least that, is when the game gets going, I always find myself having to choose between multiple necessary actions, or even keeping up. Part of why I take Sidir with Perdita and Lucas is that they have ways of mitigating his slowness (McCabe is particularly good at this if you take the Badge of Speed).

As a Resser...

Well, everything is win in my book and I don't feel I can actually find a "loser". Everything we got was amazing. Well, I still have to try Yin and it's the closest one to "loser" I can think of, but it's more about me still wrapping my head around her.

Toshiro has certainly been the surprised awesome of the book resserwise. His mere presence has a huge effect on the tabletop and he is Nicodem's new BFF.

Yeah true, oh well, there's still many other awesome combo's, rail golem, izamu and dead rider? Then take Molly and grave spirit to help out either rider or izamu, just spitballing here.

Molly is also a different Special Force to the Rail Golem. :P

It's almost like the Special Forces were designed to limit this kind of combination...

Molly is also a different Special Force to the Rail Golem. :P

It's almost like the Special Forces were designed to limit this kind of combination...

Lol..... There goes me just throwing ideas again with out actually checking, oh well, even minus Molly, there's 3 very nasty big beaters that shouldn't be in a crew together!

Having only played Lynch, I'd go with Mr.Graves or The Illuminated. Not saying they're terrible, either of them, but for me, they're the closest to getting the boot from my lists. Mr.Graves keeps hanging in there just because the fact that he's wicked cool. Illuminated are real solid, but I always end up finding other stuff to put in there.

Still nice models and all, it's just that they're the most likely to sit out a game!

My opinion is that Mr.Graves is quite good! Bar is closed is just amazing!

Bar's closed is nice, but so far it has mostly just been used for pushing my own models forward. He just always ends up behind everyone else, struggling to get into combat with any AP left. Short stubby legs. Like Sebastian. But without the chainsaw and melee expert. Again, he'll most likely be used for the sake of being a bald musclecar.

It feels like you're doing it wrong if your entire crew gets engaged in a big pile, though!

Don’t get me wrong, actually I just played against Mr.Graves with my aSeamus crew. And with my anathema+wicked aSeamus engaging my opponent’s entire crew in one point by using the Bells is exactly what I want!

Maybe that’s the reason why I think “Bar is closed” is so awesome for my opponent! :)

Played with and against: Rezzers, 10T, NB.

Liked most models, really liked some and really REALLY liked a couple. :)

I'd have to agree with others in the thread that so far, I am underwhelmed by:

1. Graves - I am completely willing to say that we have not played him right yet and that he is just a learning curve.

2. Illuminated - These are tougher to see a bright future for, for me. They are NB and they cost 6. That brings a lot of expectation to the table. They cost the same as Kade. They cost 1 less point than Lelu! (And his sister)

I could have TWO tots for every one of them.

That's rough.