Fate Deck Observation

zeil999

I noticed that you can look at your opponent's unflipped cards at any time and put them in any order you want. Is it just me or does this seem like this can open Pandora's Box to the temptation of cheating? Or is there a deck lock option to prevent them from accessing your deck? I think this needs a little tweaking to get it right and for now all we can do is just rely on the good ol' honor system.

As with real life you can see if someone looks at your cards and starts rearranging them, unfortunately you cannot slap him in vassal for doing so, it also gives you a warning when they do it. They are times when your opponent can look at your fate deck, so it needs to be in the game.

If people are aware of it then you can't do it by accident, if they do try and cheat then don't play them! :)

A big warning message comes up to notify you that it is happening. Remember some models have spells and abilities that let you legitimately reorder cards at the top of your opponents Fate Deck. You can also 'fish' for cards in the discard pile (again to enable other abilities).

These are intentional to enable the more advanced card manipulation rules to work.

Is there a way to have a pop up ask you if it is okay before it happens? That way you can verify it is a legit manipulation before it happens.

A little tricky to do, and could get annoying fast (if a pop up occurs after every time your opponent manipulates your cards). When another player messes with your cards a big ALL CAPITALS message appears in the visible log! Accidental manipulations (which are unlikely to occur!), and anything else for that matter, can be undone with the top left undo button.

Was playing around in a solitairy game (Desktop and Laptop playing the same game to learn the capabilities) and noticed something intersting.

Cards are not hidden upon draw (they dont have the "hidden" tagging). I was able to clearly see each players cards from either computer. When I manually changed the cards to "hidden" I couldn't see them anymore however a message came across the log file that clearly stated the value and suit of the card I had just hidden.

I will freely admit that I might be doing something wrong as I am just dabbling with Vassal however figured I would bring it up just in case.

Though I am definately not a programer I thought of a fix that might address this (and add another convience feature). Would it be possible to introduce another series of buttons that corresponded to the Control Hand Draw (5/6/7 cards) that did start with the "Hidden" Tagging (and was only visible to the person that drew them?

Edited by Omenbringer

Was playing around in a solitairy game (Desktop and Laptop playing the same game to learn the capabilities) and noticed something intersting.

Cards are not hidden upon draw (they dont have the "hidden" tagging). I was able to clearly see each players cards from either computer. When I manually changed the cards to "hidden" I couldn't see them anymore however a message came across the log file that clearly stated the value and suit of the card I had just hidden.

I will freely admit that I might be doing something wrong as I am just dabbling with Vassal however figured I would bring it up just in case.

Though I am definately not a programer I thought of a fix that might address this (and add another convience feature). Would it be possible to introduce another series of buttons that corresponded to the Control Hand Draw (5/6/7 cards) that did start with the "Hidden" Tagging (and was only visible to the person that drew them?

I think your doing it wrong,

if you drag a card from the deck it remains hidden, so when you deal your hand just drag them, when you click the flip 1 2 3 pr 4 cards it automatically flips them, which shows them to all.