2/9/2013 - Ashburn VA - Malifaux Attrition Tournament and Paint Contest

nix

What the heck is a Malifaux Attrition Tournament you ask? Great question, sit back and let me tell you. A Malifaux Attrition Tournament is a multi-round Semi-Competitive event where your crew will slowly shrink in size as you play more rounds. In this specific event, we will start at 35ss and each round subtract 5ss through the day.

I am advertising this early, with the goal of generating a lot of interest and really building up a strong event. There are 2 months to plan for heading to the Ashburn VA area. There is a Spring Hill Suite's nearly next to the venue for those who wish to stay over night. We are sticking to 3 rounds for this event, due to time constraints, but the rounds are a relaxed 105 minutes. On top of all that, I have a very healthy prize box that needs to be stripped down!

So, here are the details:

Basics:

Tournament Location:

Huzzah Hobbies

44927 George Washington Blvd, Ste.165

Ashburn, VA 20147

(703) 466-0460

Pre-Registration: Email to Bill@Gamerslounge.coda.net

Registration Fee: $5

Tournament Date: Saturday, February 9, 2013

Tournament Time:

Round 1 – 35ss: 11am – 12:45pm

Round 2 – 30ss: 1:00pm – 2:45pm

Round 3 – 25ss: 3:00pm – 4:45pm

Paint Contest (25ss Crew) – 5:00pm – 5:30pm

Awards: 5:30pm

Tournament Rules:

• Deployment: Standard Deployment
  • Strategy Selection: Assigned Shared Strategy
  • Crew Construction: Single Faction, 35ss Attrition
  • Painting Requirement: Fully Painted preferred
  • Scoring: TP/Diff/VP

Appearance Standard: TO’s preference is for all models to be fully painted to a 3 color minimum. Players will not be disqualified for having unpainted crews or models.

Proxy Rule: Proxies (substitute models) are not allowed under any circumstanced, nor can a player enter a tournament with a model that has not been released to the general public. Special and nightmare edition models (Santana, Miss Terious, Nightmare Eric/Nathan Hanged, etc) are allowed with the matching Wyrd issued stat card.

Prize Ruling:

• 1st and 2nd place will get a name plate on the Malifaux plaque
  • King of NOVA trophy will be available for interstore play
  • 1st place will be a percentage of the registration as store credit plus a large prize box pick.
  • 2nd place will be a smaller percentage of registration as store credit and small prize box pick.
  • Last place will receive the Spoon award.
  • Paint Scoring will be popular scoring for a 25ss crew. Painting prize will be small prize box pick.
  • Attrition Tournament Raffle (see guidelines below in this thread)
  • Defeated Achievement League Rounds 2 & 3. Top achievement gets small prize box pick. 2nd and 3rd achievement gets a raffle ticket.

There are a couple additional notes to add. First, If per-registration and attendance clears 16 players I will add a Santana to first place. Second, the Strategies are all modified strategies for this event, not the standard. Pay special attention to the Players Pack (attached).

Current Preregistration count: 20

Malifaux Attrition Tournament v2.pdf

Edited by nix

I would allow Santana with appropriate card. I would also allow both Nightmare Hanged, as long as they have their cards.

I will look at and amend the proxy rules, thanks!

....and come on Ramses, its only a short 14 - 16 hour drive from you to here. Thats nothing! *grin*

Bill

• 4 weeks later...

Ok folks, quick update with the New Year!!!!

So, we only have 3 people pre-registered currently, although I have notice from ~4 others that are trying to work out coming up. Pre-Registration helps me out a great deal and I want to make it worth while for you all as well.

So, I am looking at a couple additional factors for the event on the non-competitive side. We all know the competitive players will be fighting it out for the Santana if we get enough people registered and showing up. My prize boxes are silly though, so I need to give away more stuff.

Here are the two ideas I currently have to add. First is a simple raffle. Once we get to 6 pre-registered people I will kick this off.

The second idea is a mini-achievement league for the lower tables. This would give newer players and non-competitive players something to work toward for prizes. It would be a mini-achievement list so as not to distract from the games. It would also only be for the bottom half of the tables starting round 2, and the bottom 1/3 of the tables round 3.

So, there we go with the update. If your thinking about coming, send me an email and pre-register. An email is enough to let me know you will be coming to play.

This will be my first ever Malifaux tournament. Finally time to show the world what sort of player I am!!! They shall sing songs of it on the Gamers Lounge!

Everyone loves a tragedy.

Of this I can promise..... although probably not the singing.

Well, 6 pre-reg's are cleared so keep an eye on this thread for the Raffle details. I am writing them out now and will get them posted once they are formatted somewhat nicely. (damn real work and their demands I be productive)

Updated Raffle guidelines:

Attrition Tournament Raffle

Ok, I am aiming to keep this somewhat simple, but still fun. I am thinking 1 Large box pick and 3 small box picks as the prizes. Picks will be after the Painting competition and the prize picks from the tournament. Raffle tickets will be handed out at the start of the event (during registration) and prizes will be awarded at the end of the event. It should not need to be said, but for clarity, you must be present during the event (show up and register, play 3 games, stick around for prizes) to win the raffle.

So, first lets make this a little like Kick-starter:

• Everyone who pre-registers gets a ticket
  • Everyone who pre-registers gets a second ticket when we hit 12 players
  • Everyone who pre-registers gets a third Raffle Ticket when we hit 16 players
  • Everyone who enters a 25ss crew in the paint competition receives a ticket
  • Everyone who picks up a Malifaux related item @ Huzzah on Feb 9th before the end of the tournament gets a ticket
  • Everyone who loses a game gets a ticket

There we go; I think that works out well.

• 3 weeks later...

Pre-registration has cleared 16 and we are down to a couple weeks. I am adding Santana to the prize pool (for those who were waiting to see if she would be added).

I will have the "Lower Bracket" achievement league completed by the weekend and posted as well.

Attendees are bouncing between 14 and 18 over the past week, so this is looking good! Please grab the newest updated (v2) players pack for full details on all the prizes. Currently we have:

• The tournament - 1st and 2nd place prizes (1st place gets a Santana)
  • King of NOVA - for Northern Virginia stores, Trophy for inning store
  • Spoon Award - for last place
  • Painting - a 25ss crew paint judging with a prize
  • Defeated Achievement League - a league just for people who lost games. 2 winners and 4 additional raffle tickets given away.

And, as long as we can hit the 16 on the day, I will toss in a second Santana as one of the Raffle prizes.

Spread the word, this is next weekend (Saturday February 9th)!!

Edited by nix

My deep gratitude goes out to all the people who showed up for this event!

The tournament was a fantastic success and there were lots of prizes given out. Two Santana's went to well deserving winners, with the first place winner giving his Santana away to the top guild player!

19 total people (bye's suck BTW), here are the final totals:

post-4095-13911927845404_thumb.jpg

As a note, I was particularly happy to see 3 other henchmen participate in the event. I was also a proud Dad seeing daughter (14) placed 6th in her second tournament ever.

It was also amazing seeing the second place player not only play Gremlins all the way through but place highly with this event being his 2nd/3rd/4th non-demo games.

Overall it was just a great day! Pictures will follow here and in the model forum this week.

Picture time....

First we have the now famous Large and Small Prize Boxes.

IMG_2024_zps033c395d.jpg

The whole group of players:

IMG_2060_zpsd12b50aa.jpg

Dan of Gamers Lounge fame won the competitive tournament (1st place overall with Viktoria)

IMG_2053_zpsebac89cb.jpg

Luke, who had only played a little bit before this tournament, won 2nd overall in the competitive tournament (2nd place overa.

IMG_2052_zps39e83fea.jpg

Hugh, who won 2 rounds of the "Not Winner's Achievement Legue" and drew a winning raffle ticket.

IMG_2059_zps84c32976.jpg

And Mustache Matt who won the painting contest:

IMG_2055_zps8d8d4661.jpg

Lots of other pictures for the other Raffle Winners, Painted crews, and "candid" model shots through the day in the album.

http://s255.beta.photobucket.com/user/nix603/library/Feb%202013%20Attrition%20tournament

---------- Post added at 12:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:36 AM ----------

And some "Candid Shots"

IMG_2002_zpsde0d3cd0.jpg

IMG_2003_zps8b776a25.jpg

IMG_2004_zps42e4faf1.jpg

IMG_2007_zpsfedfd741.jpg

IMG_2012_zps5db12d2f.jpg

IMG_2013_zps6c5fa554.jpg

IMG_2015_zps28121397.jpg

IMG_2017_zps34521c17.jpg

IMG_2018_zpsd8258f75.jpg

IMG_2020_zpsb60afe39.jpg

IMG_2022_zpsaeb51a2c.jpg

@Shaper - I have 4 more years before my youngest is out of the house. After that the Wife and I will be trying to plan a trip to Australia. Maybe we can set-up a tournament when I am down there!!!

*grin*

We'll have to aim it for Tiny's Australian GT... otherwise we can have some friendly games at some point otherwise and maybe a little tournament!