How to paint undead flesh - EBM Style! [Tutorial]

Evilbleachman

You guys may know me from my ongoing thread here. That is where I have been posting my ongoing Undead/Resurrectionist models that are finished and painted to play.

I figured I would just drop in a tutorial on how I paint undead flesh. This is something that has no real rules on how to do it, since nobody really knows how the undead would look, should they exist. I went for a kind of nasty looking approach with a more foul tint to the usual color of the living.

This is going to be a step by step 'tutorial' on how I paint undead flesh. My little test subject is going to be this fellow below. I hope you enjoy!

post-10280-13911926208191_thumb.jpg

Step 1: Base Coat

I like to start off with a white primed model (mostly because I use bright colors for my models and it is a pain in the arse to paint bright colors on a dark under coat). You can still do this with a darker prime though, so no worries!

I just paint every portion of skin the model contains with the base coat color of my choice (in this case it is Game Color's Dead Flesh).

post-10280-13911926209073_thumb.jpg

Step 2: First Wash

What makes undead different from the living is that they are, well half dead. Meaning half cold and half warm. This step I use to wash with my 'cold' wash, which also adds a lot of darkness in the models recesses. The wash I used here is Secret Weapon Wash's Black Green. Remember to be generous with these first washes!

post-10280-13911926209869_thumb.jpg

Step 3: Second Wash

As mentioned before, the undead are a middle thing between the living and the dead. The middle thing between warm and cold. To add a little 'warmth' to the model, I wash it again with a brown flesh wash to give the model a little bit of spunk. The wash I use here is also a Secret Weapon's wash: Flesh Wash

post-10280-13911926211231_thumb.jpg

Step 4: Drybrush + First Highlights

The fun thing about the undead is that the skin doesn't have to look perfect. They're generally wounded, mutilated or even messed up beyond all recognition. So there is no need to really be 'perfect' with painting the skin and its details. Plus with all the many different its and bits on these models, it would take quite a long time to paint it super detailed, like you do with other parts of the model.

What I did here was just dry brush the model's skin parts with the same base coat color I used in step one. Then add in a little water to the paint and go after the larger parts of the body and flesh, such as the belly or the muscles on his arms, in this case. Highlight a few other spaces to make it look just right.

post-10280-13911926210571_thumb.jpg

Edited by Evilbleachman

Step 5: 'Living' Highlights

This is a small step that is hardly noticable, but still soothes the little 'perfectionist' in me. I still want some sort of living flesh on the model, so I do two highlight phases. I mix the base color 1:1 with Citadel's Elf Flesh. Then I toss on a little bit of pure Elf Flesh for the hell of it.

post-10280-1391192621195_thumb.jpg

Step 6: Water of Life

In my eyes the reanimated dead are not necessarily always long dead when tehy are reanimated. Heck on the battlefield some of those Rezzer masters can reanimate freshly dead, still pumped full with blood. Thus I like to add a touch of blood and 'life' to my undead.

I use a red wash to do so. In this case it is Citadel's Baal Red.

What I do is I focus on wounded parts and other ones I would deem bloody or even what just looks good. Especially on this model I wanted lots of red on it for the parts it has been sewn back together and all those nasty cables impale the skin.

post-10280-13911926212648_thumb.jpg

Final Step: Finishing Touches

After the red is done, you can leave it at that or go for more gruesome additions to the color range of your undead's skin. Add some blue and/or purple washes to show bruising and other parts where the unfortunate soul has bled internally. I went for a blue wash (Citadel's Asurmen Blue) to wash a few places for the bruising. Blue especially since combined with some of the red from the previous step it adds a wee purple effect as well.

I then paint the model's eyes pure white to give it that creepy and scary look, which I like so much. I use the red wash to accentuate the eyes and make it look more terrifying.

post-10280-13911926213322_thumb.jpg

I hope this can inspire you guys to paint some friendly undead (or even the not so friendly type). This is my take on how to paint undead flesh and is certainly not the only way. You do not have to use the same colors I use on my models either. Feel free to experiment with different base coats and other color ranges. Nobody really knows how an undead person or creature looks like. Heck they might have orange skin or purple skin? The only person who knows is yourself, the painter.

Bleachman, over and out.

Addition: Here's an image of the finished model, so you can see the effects of undead flesh in combination wih other elements. Enjoy~

post-10280-13911926280632_thumb.jpg

Edited by Evilbleachman

Nicely done. Excellent description and examples. I especially appreciated your explaining the reasons for your choices.

Thank you. I will give that method a try some time.

Thank you! :D

Very nice write up, would you be able to transcribe (or suggest really) replacements from the new GW paintline (since they went and changed everything up and those colors for the most part are no longer easily available)?

Technically any similar color would do. It is not really an exact science with these undead things. I am not too familiar with Citadel's new line of paints, since I still have quite a lot of my older ones from them.

I will try to toss in some new Citadel line replacements for the paints:

GC's Dead Flesh: Rakarth Flesh This is a more grey skin than the ocre yellow one I use on my models. The range has either too yellow, green or brown paints and none of them really suit it. This one is similar as it is still a bright color. Would probably look good as well.

Cit's old Elf Flesh: Kislev Flesh I do not like this color really. It is not as bright as the good old Elf Flesh, but should do just fine.

The new range of Citadel paints has some fine and dandy washes as well. They are by far nowhere as good as the old lines. I am still Ebay hunting for some good old Devlan Mud...

Here are the washes you could use on this model:

Red Wash: Carroburg Crimson I do not like this one too much as it is 'too dark' for bloody places, in my opinion. Add some thinned red paint to make it redder.

Purple Wash (for bruising): Druchii Violet This should work fine for some bruising.

Blue Wash (for bruising): Drakenhof Nightshade This is pretty dark, but still usable. You could use it to make bruised areas near recesses to help darken them a bit.

Flesh Wash: Reikland Fleshshade This would work well as a substitute to the 'warm' wash in Step 3.

As to the first wash I use, there is no comparable color in their range. I can only recommend picking up a green wash and mix it with some thinned black paint.

But as said before, you do not need the exact same paints to achieve a similar effect on your models. Experiment. Try out different washes and paints and use other combos.

Thanx! This will be handy when I decide to tackle Levin's Steampunk Abominations!

Indeed! Eventually I plan on picking him up. Even though he is not a Rezzer he uses a $$$$$$$$tons of Rezzer models. I will just add him to my undead lot. So stay tuned. Might even see my SPAs in this style soon as well. :)

Great tutorial and I really like the final effect. I think that the addition

of red really makes it work, might give this one a go on day - bookmarked it, thanks for sharing it!

Glad you like it! And do give it a try.

I added a photo of the finished Necropunk in the second post of the tutorial. :D

Glad you guys like it!

He does look real nice all finished up, also thanks for the New Citadel Paint Range recommendations (the more I use it the more I really like it).

I semi like them and I semi don't. I like the new layer color range and the base color range. The washes aren't too great though, in my opinion. And the Dry paint meant for dry brushing sucks really badly. I still prefer using bleached bone over that skimpy $$$$$$$$ they concocted.

The washes aren't too great though, in my opinion. And the Dry paint meant for dry brushing sucks really badly. I still prefer using bleached bone over that skimpy $$$$$$$$ they concocted.

I think the problem with the "Washes" is that they aren't really washes but "Stains". In that regard I think they are great and I really prefer the control over the older inks, (though using a thinner mix (like liquitex matte medium, gloss medium & fluid medium) makes them perform much better as traditional Washes).

I am surprised you dont like the dry brushing compounds, I find them pretty nice (and I am now using much less paint than I used to dry brushing).

I will agree that Bleached Bone was one of their phenominal "must have" colors in the old range (along with Kommando Khaki and Camo Green). I especially miss Camo Green (it was half of the "easy button" for my gremlin skin) however I have found another process that produces the same results in the same amount of steps (but across three paints vice two).

Great post, will have to try some of this out next time I'm painting dead hookers.

Which can't be soon enough...

When does one not paint a dead hooker? :P

I think the problem with the "Washes" is that they aren't really washes but "Stains". In that regard I think they are great and I really prefer the control over the older inks, (though using a thinner mix (like liquitex matte medium, gloss medium & fluid medium) makes them perform much better as traditional Washes).

I am surprised you dont like the dry brushing compounds, I find them pretty nice (and I am now using much less paint than I used to dry brushing).

I will agree that Bleached Bone was one of their phenominal "must have" colors in the old range (along with Kommando Khaki and Camo Green). I especially miss Camo Green (it was half of the "easy button" for my gremlin skin) however I have found another process that produces the same results in the same amount of steps (but across three paints vice two).

I use my washes depending on the effect. The Secret Weapon washes I like to use as they are naturally runny and do not need more thinning. I use the GW ones that are intentionally used to 'stain' or darken certain parts, which are not necessarily only recesses.

Yeah. One of my all time favorite colors is still Red Gore. Long gone...

But that is how GW works. Haha. They wanted cheaper paints. They got them. Sell em at the same price. Ruin the entire old line and have only similar colors in the new range. For that about 200 colors more as well...

Though, I am still thinking about picking up that special edition 'Edge' paint set by GW. It has some great bright colors, perfect for that final touch in highlighting.

Besides a few specific colors I have mostly started to switch to Vallejo paints. I like the drop tubes and the paints' consistency is pretty decent as well.

• 5 months later...