Thematics and a Random Question

hippieshopper

Random question first...well two, I lied.

1. Why does Chiaki make stuff living?

2. Why is it that even with all these new books, Molly still gets less and less to summon?

As for the other part....

I dig the Chinese rail worker theme we're now into, and I understand the Ten Thunder's Triad/Yakuza thing...but for the next theme can we skip the Asian themes?

I like it but too much of a good thing, ya know?

What about American Civil War, Greek/Roman themes (colossals, hoplites, a ballista, spartans, etc), Vodoun themed stuff, Vikings/Scandinavian, more Mafia, more cowboys...

History is a huge pot of awesome and there's a lot more too it than the samurai. Those are just a few things off the top of my head.

Random question first...well two, I lied.

1. Why does Chiaki make stuff living?

I guess she's got some sort of higher level rezzer magic thing going on.

2. Why is it that even with all these new books, Molly still gets less and less to summon?

We can only hope the hinted at, story packs, bring a new 30mm base horror or two.

As for the other part....

I dig the Chinese rail worker theme we're now into, and I understand the Ten Thunder's Triad/Yakuza thing...but for the next theme can we skip the Asian themes?

I like it but too much of a good thing, ya know?

What about American Civil War, Greek/Roman themes (colossals, hoplites, a ballista, spartans, etc), Vodoun themed stuff, Vikings/Scandinavian, more Mafia, more cowboys...

History is a huge pot of awesome and there's a lot more too it than the samurai. Those are just a few things off the top of my head.

Malifaux although being alternative universe is still set within a set historical time period (Victorian) so You couldn't really get away with anything before late Napoleonic (and that would be a push) or after very early 20th century.

Personally I think they could introduce things such as native americans, british empire, african game hunter types, more cowboy and European settlers. All included somehow within the current faction set though.

Well in the story of Yan Lo, she has a special gift that makes her a beacon for spirits. Maybe it is this that allows her to bring an undead's spirit back to it's body and remove the undead characteristic. As for Molly, she is supposed to get more stuff in the story encounter packs, but to be fair, did any of the other Resurrectionist master really get anything new to summon? It was not a big list for anyone. Let's not just single out Molly. Too be honest, outside Misaki and the ten thunder brothers from before book 4, was there really that big a asian theme? It is like saying for book 3 that you wish there were less avatar models. It is just one book, I am sure that book 5 will add more to the other aspects that make up Malifaux.

Well in the story of Yan Lo, she has a special gift that makes her a beacon for spirits. Maybe it is this that allows her to bring an undead's spirit back to it's body and remove the undead characteristic. As for Molly, she is supposed to get more stuff in the story encounter packs, but to be fair, did any of the other Resurrectionist master really get anything new to summon? It was not a big list for anyone. Let's not just single out Molly. Too be honest, outside Misaki and the ten thunder brothers from before book 4, was there really that big a asian theme? It is like saying for book 3 that you wish there were less avatar models. It is just one book, I am sure that book 5 will add more to the other aspects that make up Malifaux.

So most of book 2 ressers were asian themed, all of the ten thunders as a faction, the ressers again in book 4, half of the ressers in book 3, Mei Feng and her crew.

To this people usually say "don't play ressers", then that goes with the point you're trying to make...in that instead of changing, I should just give up...I hate to admit it but it seems as if my dear brother was right. It's not that it's underpowered as a faction but more....say...neglected. It was only until recently did we get some powerhouses in Izamu, Toshiro, and Yin...who by the way are Asian themed models.

Malifaux although being alternative universe is still set within a set historical time period (Victorian) so You couldn't really get away with anything before late Napoleonic (and that would be a push) or after very early 20th century.

Personally I think they could introduce things such as native americans, british empire, african game hunter types, more cowboy and European settlers. All included somehow within the current faction set though.

Well as far as that, I can definitely see Civil War Era models, I think it would be a nice break. But not all the model's fit in that timeline, as you stated it is an alternate universe. Also Sue seems to fit more in our timeline, if you know what I mean.

I think the Vodoun models could be for more than just the Gremlins and Neverborn. That's one thing I don't really like about this game. If you want to enjoy a certain theme, you have to be a certain faction...and that can be expensive for a poor college kid.

It is slightly odd that the Rezzers seem more closely connected with the Asian tropes than the other factions. Even from Book 1, where Nicodem has a stated preference for Asian warriors (though I suspect this was a case where the cool samurai punk zombie models came first, and the game fluff was built to use that model).

I don't think Greeks, Romans or Vikings would gel particularly well with the setting, but more voodoo (definitely not limited to just Zoraida and gremlins) and some pirates (river pirates!) would be fun to see. I'd also like to see more native Americans and some characters from Africa, India and the Middle East (preferably not awful stereotypes).

More stuff for Molly will, I suspect, require that the fluff revisits the main storyline - we are yet to find out anything substantial about her "mysterious connection" to undead horrors and what that might mean for her future. It's great that she got Yin, but she didn't gain anywhere near as much as Kaeris or Lucius in Book 4. Of the Henchmen, she's still by far the weakest as a Leader - I look forward to one day being able to run an effective Molly-led Take Back The Night crew of undead women.

I would like more Greek Nephilim

Are there currently any Greek Nephilim? Not trying to be contrary, I just can't think of any offhand - they're basically all vaguely Judeo-Christian (or, like, Babylonian, from which Judaism inherited a lot of its myths).

Pandora (not a Nephilim) is clearly Greek-inspired at least in name, but doesn't have any obvious Greek aesthetic, nor do any of the Woes.

Are there currently any Greek Nephilim? Not trying to be contrary, I just can't think of any offhand - they're basically all vaguely Judeo-Christian (or, like, Babylonian, from which Judaism inherited a lot of its myths).

Pandora (not a Nephilim) is clearly Greek-inspired at least in name, but doesn't have any obvious Greek aesthetic, nor do any of the Woes.

There is the mature in a Greek toga

And would screaming spartan like Nephilim be too far off

So most of book 2 ressers were asian themed, all of the ten thunders as a faction, the ressers again in book 4, half of the ressers in book 3, Mei Feng and her crew.

That seems an exageration, especially as a lot of what you've said there, you've said twice.

Punk Zombies and Misaki - Book 1

Kirai and her crew - Book 2

Jaaki and the 10 thunders brothers - Book 3

The Misaki crew, Some of the Rail walkers crew, and Ancester crew, Orian, Ami no oni, Wong. - Book 4.

And since your next complaint was when you want a theme you want it relevent to all factions, I don't think there is a middle ground, after all Neverborn and Guild don't have any Oriential themed models.

And several of those are only slightly oriential themed even in Fluff. Fewer in model.

Take the rail workers. They don't have to be Asian in the story, and the models aren't hugely distinctive as asian.

Its hard to say without seeing the models, but the Asighuru are just skeletons with spears. The inspiration for Yin is a different global area/time to Izumu, (unless you are count to count Seamus as the same theme as Pandora with her box).

If you want to enjoy a certain theme, you have to be a certain faction...and that can be expensive for a poor college kid.

Surely that's the case for most miniature games? If all factions/armies/whatever all had every theme it wouldn't make a great deal of sense and would probably be a bit boring.

The inspiration for Yin is a different global area/time to Izumu, (unless you are count to count Seamus as the same theme as Pandora with her box).

This is a pretty valid point - lumping entirely separate cultural inspirations together under the banner of "Asian" and then complaining that there's not enough variety is very akin to categorising just about everything else in the game as "European" and therefore all in the same theme. (Admittedly, it doesn't help that the "Asian" stuff in the game is a haphazard blend of vastly disparate cultures that does lend itself somewhat to a generic label.)