Lazarus' Armor

Turbodog

Question

Just clarifying before I start using my new Lazarus model.

Does Lazarus' armor stack with other armor?

My first thought was "no" because Reinforced Patchwork Armor says: "This armor cannot be modified or ignored"

But then I saw Lazarus had Evasive 2 - which grants armor +2 vs. Blasts.

So is stacking armor not the same as modifying it?

Does Lazarus get:

Armor +1 vs. blasts (He ALWAYS gets the unmodifiable patchwork armor)

Armor +2 vs. blasts (He chooses to use the evasive armor instead)

Armor +3 vs. blasts (The Evasive and Patchwork armors can stack)

The only armor that lazarus can ever use and/or assimilate is the armor listed on his stat card, i.e. reinforced patched armor and evasive.

Against all attacks, he gains the armor from reinforced patched armor. Against blasts, he gains the armor from reinforced patched armor and his evasive. If the blast, for some reason, ignores armor, then he would only gain the armor from his reinforced patched armor.

the clause that specifies that the armor cannot be modified means that he cannot use assimilate to change the armor +1 he has natively to, say, armor+3, as it would be a case of modifying the armor. This is not the case with respect to his Evasive, as this isnt a modification, but rather a stacking of the two armor types as they are both effective against blasts.

Personally, I would let Lazarus stack armour from any source, but only apply the "cannot be ignored" clause to the Patchwork Armour, which always remains at 1 (since it cannot be modified). That interpretation seems possible given the current wording, and more importantly seems reasonable.

So for example, Lazarus would be at Armour 3 against a blast, but only at Armour 1 if the blast ignored armour. He could also assimilate Armour 1 from some other construct, and have Armor 2 against all attacks, but be reduced to Armour 1 against attacks that ignored armour.

It seems fair and balanced to me with that interpretation. Would be nice to have some official statement, though.

OK, it works like this..

He can gain extra Armor, but that never modifies his Patchwork Armor. So things that Ignore Armor will still Ignore the extra Armor.

Eg he gets +2 Armor from an effect. He would remove 3Dg when hit. If a hit Ignored Armor, it would Ignore the +2 Armor as that don't increase his Patchwork Armor but remains a seperate modifier, but wouldn't ignore the +1 Patchwork Armor, so he could remove 1Dg from the total.

OK, it works like this..

He can gain extra Armor, but that never modifies his Patchwork Armor. So things that Ignore Armor will still Ignore the extra Armor.

Eg he gets +2 Armor from an effect. He would remove 3Dg when hit. If a hit Ignored Armor, it would Ignore the +2 Armor as that don't increase his Patchwork Armor but remains a seperate modifier, but wouldn't ignore the +1 Patchwork Armor, so he could remove 1Dg from the total.

Thanks, Ratty! Is it possible to put this in the model clarifications faq for the reinforced patchwork armor ability? I think this is something that (as shown by this thread) can be misinterpreted easily at first glance.

Once again, super thanks for posting on this. If you get a chance, if you could look at the thread below about what Lazarus can assimilate from riders' purposes that would be ... well ... awesome!

Evasive is not a modification to his armor, it is a seperate ability that kicks in when blast damage is done and reacts seperately from the armor (yes both will apply to blast damage). However, "stacking" is a play with words that tries to get around "modifying", they are the same. So Lazarus cannot stack (modify) his armor by absorbing it from a construct or so it seems to me.

Edited by BuckarooBanzai

Evasive is not a modification to his armor, it is a seperate ability that kicks in when blast damage is done and reacts seperately from the armor (yes both will apply to blast damage). However, "stacking" is a play with words that tries to get around "modifying", they are the same. So Lazarus cannot stack (modify) his armor by absorbing it from a construct.
I don't see how you conclude that based on what Ratty said on the previous page. Could you explain?