Twitchy's Journey into the Breach (An Intermediate Journey..?)

TwitchyPenguin

Hello, I'm a newly discovered member of Malifaux, having picked it up rapidly (dragging my boyfriend along with me) after catching it at a local gaming shop I had visited for the first time about two weeks ago. I haven't ever done any sort of tabletop mini-gaming (beyond D&D) so it almost flew under my radar, but the setting was so unique I couldn't pass it up.

My first miniature that I painted was my boyfriend's figure, a gunsmith female.

dscf0091c.th.jpg

dscf0094s.th.jpg

I have others painted, but I don't have pictures of them quite yet.

I am not a beginner painter, but I am far from an expert. I've been painting minatures since I was about 13-14 and slowly lost interest in both painting and playing D&D Mini's when I was about 21 or so. I painted a few off and on, and my last painted mini was probably about 3 years ago, if not more, so I think I am a little rusty. My skin and faces aren't NEARLY what I've seen here on the forum, and any critique or helpful hints would be very welcome! I hope to share more in the future, and I have a Lady Justice I am waaay overly proud of that I hope to post soon!

I hope you guys like them!

Edited by TwitchyPenguin
Change of Title

• 4 weeks later...

Hi again! Thanks everyone for the feedback. Sorry it's taken me so long to reply, but I have been busily working on more figs. I ended up burning through all the starter figs my boyfriend and I bought and ended up getting my first boxed crew early! (was suppose to be Christmas Present) I have been having major problems photographing my figs, but I am trying some new tricks.

Not my second ever fig (Ah, Sonnia how you drove me bonkers) but it is my favorite. I am doing alot to make my bases a lot more of a storytelling element to the characters. So, here is my dreamer.

dscf0133j.jpg

Sorry for the kitty hair. It gets EVERYWHERE.

dscf0132g.jpg

dscf0131yp.jpg

dscf0130s.jpg

The story I was hoping to get across with the Dreamer is that the power of his dreams (the fluffy clouds) is tearing apart his nursery. I found I tend to use alot of random things for the basing. The flooring is miniature railroad ties, as well as the toy sword(the pains of making that . . .), and the blue ball is actually a bead. Gears are watch parts, and the fairy dragon is actually from the Reaper Familiar set. I am working on making/finding a small teddy bear miniature to add to the base to connect him to the Teddy mini. The chair was actually from a bar set I earned working in a friend's bookstore forever ago, and the cat came from the Reaper Familiar set as well.

The cat is actually a stupid little idea I had that LCB will always be with the Dreamer, even if he is buried, so I made him a kitten. A little tiger kitten. I hope to paint LCB to match it. ^_^ Anyways, please let me know how it looks, and I hope to share more with you later! Thank you so much.

Thank you so much! I actually had to do the clouds twice because I made the mistake of trying to paint them to make them pop more. It ended up looking much better white! I actually forgot to mention I just uses some quick dry spackling compound for them. ^_^(and, btw, I love your thread, your bleaches figs are actually inspiring me to try the same techniques.)

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry it took me so long to respond to this. :D I'm not as much of a forum goer as I have been, and Xmas is always so busy.

Thank you SO much to everyone who's commented. ^_^ It makes me feel very proud of my little dreamer. I've got quite a few more figs that have been painted but just haven't gotten around to painting them, and I've got a few that I want to paint based on some of the better painters around here. :D

I've got seven crews now waiting for me to paint them, with one planned to be purchased tomorrow (If we can make it to the shop, lotsa snow here.) But, Kirai will be added to my growing list of figs. ^_^

Hope everyone had a happy holiday!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I got more updates. I actually have quite a few painted, but I don't get much motivation to photograph my mini's, especially since I'm taking my time on basing quite a few of them. ^_^ So I just based one of my daydreams (Though not complete, my beading items are out in the car and I'm too lazy to get them, so I will share.) Please forgive the bad pictures. I got motivation really late and so they are a bit off...I'm working on my own cheap photo box, and I'm hoping to get better images. ^_^

My Daydreams are named Doofus, Primrose, and Cuttlefish, in order. It's probably pretty obvious which is which. (Click the Links for the big pictures, they are 800x600

Doofus in his floating cloud chair. (Dap Fast n' Final spackling compound. Not really strong, makes clouds like a breeze!)

dscf0166sb.jpg

dscf0167l.jpg

dscf0168h.jpg

Primrose and Cuttlefish are not based, and I don't think Primrose is done. Hense the even crappier pictures.

dscf0195t.jpg

Primrose

dscf0194y.jpg

Cuttlefish!(my favorite Catopus.)

Now for Jaakuuna Ubume. She has only one picture, because I could not get a good one that will give her justice. The surface of the water is shiny, using ModPodge Dimensional Magic.

dscf0171o.jpg

Got Killjoy in the discount bin at my local store. He was already glued to his base, and was weighted AND magnetized...and only 5 bucks. I tried to paint him kinda deadish, but he just looks like a Van Gogh painting..:(

dscf0172b.jpg

EPIC BUTT SHOT! (That thing rival's Sibyl's!)

dscf0174l.jpg

My Lady Justice was my third or fourth figure that I painted, and the first I used with the base inserts. I ended up using jewelry making items (such as the backpiece, which I engraved and glued together, then stuck on her base with removable rods. And the chain is..well, chain.)

dscf0175gv.jpg

dscf0176i.jpg

dscf0177af.jpg

Ah, Miss Sonya Criid...how I hated painting you. How I hated it.

dscf0181a.jpg

dscf0182j.jpg

I feel like she's the worst painted out of the bunch. I only like her coat (which I painted twice!)

And Pandora was my boyfriend's second figure, and he really likes her--when I asked if he wanted me to put on her skirt, he said no. Of course I agree, Pandora is a bit of a rebel...

dscf0178id.jpg

And to make up for Killjoy earlier (does this count as PG-13?)

dscf0179o.jpg

Kirai is my first attempt at making my own base. Used Miniature Railroad ties for the wood, and Dimensional Magic again for the blood. Also experimenting with detailing and freehand painting. Hope I did okay...(The blue on the trim was .005 blue micron pen. It's so much easier.)

dscf0183jf.jpg

dscf0184z.jpg

dscf0185f.jpg

dscf0186zl.jpg

And my favorite basing next to the Dreamer-Lillitu. Actually used a piece of old mulch from the yard, and the water is done using a UV set resin which didn't quite react well with the food-coloring I tried to add. Still very happy with it.

dscf0188lj.jpg

dscf0189m.jpg

dscf0190r.jpg

dscf0191m.jpg

Disclaimer-Please forgive any and all fluff and dust on the figures...They've been sitting on a shelf for a while and we have very long haired and fluffy cats. Fur is EVERYWHERE.

Anyways, I hope I'm improving a bit on my figs. I've got my airbrush today and am going to start practicing with it, mostly with priming a few figs and more widespread areas. I am worried that I might have trouble considering I use craft paints, but I don't think it will be too bad.

Any tips and tricks or anything I need to work on it is very welcome, I always aim to improve!

Thanks! I think my Dreamer base is my favorite, but Kirai is probably going to be my main crew once I get good at playing. ^_^ Thank you for the comments. Speaking of Kirai (and I'm not sure if I'm allowed to do this in the minature thread, but I don't know where else to go with it, and I like to keep my stuff together) but here is a hopeful, quick, and sloppy drawing I did of a Kirai!Gremlin I think would be fricken awesome as a mini. I call her Mei-Mei and her little buddy is a Pig-Shi..get it..hahaha...ha....(bad puns ahoyyy....)

image3lmd.jpg

Hopefully I'll update with more mini's soon.. Been a bit overwhelmed with the amount I have!