Low SS tournament

FrankTheGodlfish

We are looking at running a mini tournament at out club probably 3 rounds in a little over 3 hours. There will be a mixture of skill levels so some people may not play too quickly.

Has anyone done anything like that or thoughts on game sizes and any special rules for

playing small games?

I was thinking something along the lines of 15 Soulstones only a single Scheme and about 40mins per round.

At low ss levels does it sound feasible to run a crew box + totem vs crew box + totem with the difference in ss added to the lower masters cache so both sides have the same ss in the game but probably different cache sizes?

I think the biggest problem with this is some crews really lack the models the NEED to use in the starter set. One example is rezzers, but I can think of quite a few whos playstyles would suffer. Much better IMO to make it a 20-25ss tournament. Possibly with one scheme a side and a cap on the SS if you go for 20 :) This means people can use the boxsets if they wish, but doesnt rigidly lock them in.

Doesn't work perfectly, due to some boxes having significantly more stones than other boxes.

(and also for the point *Jack* makes)

For instance, Jakob's Dark Debts is 18 stones, Ramos' box is 28 stones, Somer's box is 17 stones, Mei Feng's box is (iirc) 26 stones, Collodi's box is 17 stones, Misaki's box is (iirc) 28 stones.

Doesn't work perfectly, due to some boxes having significantly more stones than other boxes.

(and also for the point *Jack* makes)

For instance, Jakob's Dark Debts is 18 stones, Ramos' box is 28 stones, Somer's box is 17 stones, Mei Feng's box is (iirc) 26 stones, Collodi's box is 17 stones, Misaki's box is (iirc) 28 stones.

28 stones!?! Is that the biggest ss box so far?

I have used the following rules for a quick 10 soulstone game. When we timed it, each game took about 40-50 minutes.

http://www.wyrd-games.net/showthread.php?30305-Variant-House-Rule-40-Minute-Malifaux&p=386766#post386766

It's 10 soulstones, very bare bones, scheme selection limited, strategies limited, smaller board, smaller hand, four turns. It still feels like Malifaux when you play it, but it takes only 40 minutes.

28 stones!?! Is that the biggest ss box so far?

Yes, I think:

IIRC (totals off memory, and therefore possible way off :)

(does not include respective Master/Henchmen Caches)

Guild:

Lady J: 19 stones

Sonnia: 20 stones

Perdita: 25 stones

Hoffman: 16? stones

Lucius: no clue (not even sure what he comes with, much less how many stones they are)

McCabe: pending Wyrd release, guessing Luna + Wastrels + Capt. Nemo (so ~23 iirc) box to be called "Blacksheep gang" or similar... Due to equine issues, box might be just: McCabe on horse + McCabe on foot + Luna + Capt. Nemo (~11 stones, iirc)

Ressers:

Seamus: 18 stones

McMourning: 23 stones

Nicodem: 22 stones

Kirai: 23? stones

Molly: 22 stones

Yan Lo: pending Wyrd release, guessing Porter + Chiaki + Penny + Izamu (so ~25 iirc) box to be called "Ancestors of the Katanaka" or similar... if Izamu switched with Toshiro, drops to ~21 (iirc) stones, but <redacted> :).

Edit: another Yan Lo box possibility is: Porter + Toshiro + 3 Ashigaru (~20 iirc). Seems most reasonable, now that I think about it.

Arcanists:

Ramos: 28 stones

Rasputina: 21 stones

Marcus: 22 stones

Colette: 21? stones

Kaeris: 24 stones

Mei Feng: 26? stones

Neverborn

Lilith: 19 stones

Zoraida: 25 stones

Pandora: 23 stones

Dreamer: 20? stones

Collodi: 17 stones

Jakob: 18 stones

Outcasts

Viktorias: 24? stones

Levetius: no clue (not even sure what he comes with, much less how many stones they are)

Somer: 16 stones

Hamelin: 19? stones

Ophelia: 21? stones

Von Shill: no clue (not even sure what he comes with, much less how many stones they are)

Ten Thunders

Misaki: 28? stones

Edited by Cats Laughing

My bet is McCabe is actually Horse, non-horse, Luna and Wastrels. Sidir will be seperate

Misaki is 29 and Mei is 25 I believe

hmmm i thought the Emberling was 3 and 9-Tail was 2 stones. I guess it's the other way around?

Anyway, close enough for government work :)

I could definitely see the Wastrels in there, instead of Capt. Nemo. However, I think it will depend alot on what fits on a single sprue, and depending on McCabe x2 + Horse + Luna, there might not be much room for a 3 minion group to fit. But for a starter box, Wastrels make more sense.