Jacob Lynch and My Experiences So Far

E.T.A. Hoffman

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do have a question on Dead Man's hand. It is often mentioned that you can get 6 cards per turn, but that makes me think I am not playing spell right. Once cast on the enemy, I flip a card. If that card is less than 8 then I discard it, and do it 2 more times. So if I flip a 4, 5, 6 then I get no cards in my hand (at my opponent also gets no cards). Is that how you all are playing it?

Thanks,

Keget

And I just don't get the love for the dead man's hand spell at all, you get 6 cards, your opponent, on average, gets 3 surges...
I loved this spell when I read it and thought it would be great fun. But playing through a handfull of games I can not agree with you more.

Perhaps if one focuses more on building a crew around discard mechanics, but I don't think Jakob's crew does this. Sure, Tannen can force some discards, as can Graves and Jakob via triggers, so maybe it can be done with all of them together. But otherwise I can't really see the point if it. I'm going to start using him as a cautious gunslinger more than anything..

I've played this crew 3 time and in all 3 games my opponent said that Dead Mans Hand actually helped them out. That's annoying. Im not a fan of anything that helps my opponent out. The more i play the crew I feel the less inclined to use that spell.

Altough I didn't have a game with them but it looks like that this spell really shines within Mr. Tannen's Dampen Fate aura.

I played against the Viks and got punched in the face pretty hard.

I played

Jacob/ hd

Graves

2 illuminated

2 depleted

Arcane Effigy.

He played

The Viks

Student

Von Shill

Librarian

Lazurus

Effigy was a bust. Graves died but not before he broke a Viks arm. :) the rest were eh...

This crew is tough to play. I just felt out classed he whole game. More practice Is needed.

Edited by Mazin1

Purely theoryfaux, but I've been toying with some first-activation shenanigans with objective/interactive based strats - 10t brother, 1 Wastrel, 1 Torakage and possibly Graves.

For Treasure hunt, for example, it'd go something like this:

1. All start close to 10t brother in order to companion with him

2. Wastrel either does Secret passage or Petrified feather to move up to treasure.

3. Torakage 1 gives itself mask then goes Mistaken identity with Wastrel.

4. Torakage 1 goes Mistaken identity with Lynch, bringing Lynch up right next to the treasure.

5. Lynch uses all his AP to pick up and moves the Treasure back 4 or 8 inch towards the deployment zone, depending on if it's shared or not.

Graves is there for the 0-push if need be somewhere, and some beatface to the crew in general.

Purely theoryfaux, but I've been toying with some first-activation shenanigans with objective/interactive based strats - 10t brother, 1 Wastrel, 1 Torakage and possibly Graves.

For Treasure hunt, for example, it'd go something like this:

1. All start close to 10t brother in order to companion with him

2. Wastrel either does Secret passage or Petrified feather to move up to treasure.

3. Torakage 1 gives itself mask then goes Mistaken identity with Wastrel.

4. Torakage 1 goes Mistaken identity with Lynch, bringing Lynch up right next to the treasure.

5. Lynch uses all his AP to pick up and moves the Treasure back 4 or 8 inch towards the deployment zone, depending on if it's shared or not.

Graves is there for the 0-push if need be somewhere, and some beatface to the crew in general.

Isn't the Wastrel McGabe only?

Isn't the Wastrel McGabe only?

No, they are dual faction models. However, you can only use Mistaken Identity once per activation, but the theory seems pretty good!

---------- Post added at 06:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:51 PM ----------

I played against the Viks and got punched in the face pretty hard.

I played

Jacob/ hd

Graves

2 illuminated

2 depleted

Arcane Effigy.

He played

The Viks

Student

Von Shill

Librarian

Lazurus

Effigy was a bust. Graves died but not before he broke a Viks arm. :) the rest were eh...

This crew is tough to play. I just felt out classed he whole game. More practice Is needed.

I'd be interested in reading a fuller write up of this game in the Battle Report Section - I often find that it helps me think over where the mistakes were and what I could do differently...

No, they are dual faction models. However, you can only use Mistaken Identity once per activation, but the theory seems pretty good!

---------- Post added at 06:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:51 PM ----------

I'd be interested in reading a fuller write up of this game in the Battle Report Section - I often find that it helps me think over where the mistakes were and what I could do differently...

Ack, you are right!

Back to the drawing table...

Have you considered the "Up jumped the Devil" approach?

Jakob Lynch

HD (Not deployed)

3 Depleted

2 Beckoner

1 Illuminated

Mr. Graves

Basically rush/push a Depleted into a mob to be the sacrificial lamb. Once killed (be sure to get the Df Trigger) (2) pulse and everyone near gets Brilliance and HD is placed into based contact with the Depleted before it's removed.

HD's (0) action to suck up Brilliance from everyone near and heal himself should be his first action. Then chomp chomp chomp goes The Hungering Darkness. Be sure to move your Beckoner up ASAP to keep that party going. And at the end of the Activation make sure HD feeds off of a minion with the lowest wounds.

Had some more games today against the Viks (TigerStyle on the forums) and i used

Jakob and HD and cache of 5

Beckoner

Tannen

Graves

Illuminated

Depleted

Really impressed with the Beckoners, i'll be taking 2 from now on, really really good. HD has been good, and so has Jakob. The ones i'm on the fence on are the Illuminated and the Depleted. I might be using these guys wrong, but i never seem to get 10ss worth of stuff out of them for the pair. Not sure yet, might swap them out for Stitched Togethers for the discards/draws or have a look at some Ten Thunders stuff.

I feel like Illuminated might be worth it on their own, but Depleted usually need to run in multiples. From what I can see, Depleted are meant to take a beating for the rest of the crew doesn't want to take and then die for the cause. One can easily avoid/ignore a singular Depleted though.

So far I've been unimpressed with the offensive output of the Illuminated, but they've been deceptively good at taking a beating. My opponent put out a lot of low damage blasts, but between the armor and the Regen they weren't really taking a lot of damage. Plus the Regen gives you early wounds to steal for Hi-Def's Feeding if you aren't in range of an enemy with Brilliance.

Have you considered the "Up jumped the Devil" approach?

Jakob Lynch

HD (Not deployed)

3 Depleted

2 Beckoner

1 Illuminated

Mr. Graves

Basically rush/push a Depleted into a mob to be the sacrificial lamb. Once killed (be sure to get the Df Trigger) (2) pulse and everyone near gets Brilliance and HD is placed into based contact with the Depleted before it's removed.

HD's (0) action to suck up Brilliance from everyone near and heal himself should be his first action. Then chomp chomp chomp goes The Hungering Darkness. Be sure to move your Beckoner up ASAP to keep that party going. And at the end of the Activation make sure HD feeds off of a minion with the lowest wounds.

While it sounds good I'm afraid it's no longer possible:

Hungering Darkness

Originally Posted by Model Fix

Errata: - Hungering Darkness should have the ability "Never Touch The Stuff: This model cannot gain the Brilliance Characteristic."