Unboxing Lazarus

Hateful Darkblack

One thing I loved about Malifaux figures was that they were easy to assemble because they had a very few pieces. This looks like a nightmare to put together. I am seeing other sprues with lots of little pieces. Why are the people cut up into such small pieces when in the past they were mostly one piece?

One thing I loved about Malifaux figures was that they were easy to assemble because they had a very few pieces.

My canine remains would like to disagree with you.

In seriousness, though, more pieces means easier pose flexibility, which is a big attraction for a lot of serious modellers. Being able to get a more interesting pose without spending hours cutting and then sculpting is very helpful

Here's the painted version:

The packing was nice. This was a pretty complex piece to assemble, but certainly easier than, say, the Hooded Rider. Really, the only difficult part was getting the torso together with the five moving pieces stuck inside properly.

I painted most of the pieces before assembly, because I didn't want the paint to stick the models into place. That was different from how I usually paint, but it came out okay.

Painting the plastic is not bad at all. For this, because I was lazy, I actually didn't put down a base layer, I just painted directly on the plastic, and it ended up looking just fine. The pieces are elaborate and detailed.

I used an Asian Zen base insert, because I wanted it to have some more weight to it. I guess I could have just taped some nickels to the bottom, but I liked the way the Asian Zen base looked. I'm pretty happy with it.

What are the mould lines like with the Wyrd plastics, I remember spending hours removing GW ones?

And great vid, I am a little dissapointed with the Lazerus model, usually Wyrd do an excellent job of reproducing a model based nearly 100% on the artwork, Lazerus...not so much, although I would have to see it in person.

Mr. Soulstone

One thing I loved about Malifaux figures was that they were easy to assemble because they had a very few pieces. This looks like a nightmare to put together. I am seeing other sprues with lots of little pieces. Why are the people cut up into such small pieces when in the past they were mostly one piece?

Metal (and resin) models are cast into flexible moulds, which can be multi-piece and can cope with quite complex shapes.

Plastic models are injected at a high pressure into a solid metal mould which can just open and close, so to make the same model you have to rethink/redesign the parts to suit this different technique. Also, the flow of the plastic through the mould is important so there will be spaces that can be used for additional parts (alternatives or extras), which effectively come for free.

Nice videos there thanks :)

But one question for it, due to how you explained the assembly, do you actually need to glue anything on bar perhaps the back plate, or does it just slot together and stay put? :)

Thanks!

You also need to glue the front and back plates together. And the feet onto the shins.

The elbows and knees you don't need glue unless you want to make it glued into place. Instead there are little dowels you put in. You need small pliers to get them locked into place, but no glue.

• 3 weeks later...
Watch out on the upper legs, the part with exposed cables faces front and the armored part, counterintuitively, faces the rear.

Very counter-intuitively. The box art makes it look the other way around, but a careful look at his included blueprints shows them wire side forward.

Achilles has his heels; Lazarus has his toes. So very fragile for his size.

Edited by i_was_like_you