Hoffman and Arachnid Swarms

Kriltic

I'm looking to expand my Hoffman crew but I'm not sure whether Steampunk Arachnid Swarms are worth the 10SS for Hoffman considering the other models he has access to. At the minute I have;

Hoffman

Ryle

Peacekeeper

Mechanical Attendant

Mobile Toolkit

Hunter

Guardian

Watcher

And I'm thinking if adding;

Hunter

Guardian

Watcher

2 Wardens

Should I add some Spiders to the list or will the Spiders just end up sitting in my case looking pretty, basically is there an actual place for one in a Hoffman crew?

Honestly, compared to what a lot of other models do for 9ss, I'm not entirely impressed with them just yet. I've only seriously used them a few times with Ramos, but even with the ability to create them, their low DF makes them pretty easy to tag, and while a 0 healing flip is nice, a few weak flips recovering only 1 per along with armour 1 only goes so far if they're taking significant fire.

Arachnid could well be useful on a board with a lot of levels, letting them ambush things from above or below, but they're just not very fast at a walk of 4, and a 9" threat range for 2 attacks (7" on a charge for 3) still didn't blow me away for damage output (especially since it's only 3/3/5). Even with a positive twist like they get depending on their remaining wounds, 3 damage just doesn't blow my socks off for that kind of SS investment. The paralyze trigger is nice, but I kind of wish they had more killing power.

There's something to be said for rushing one in, melee'ing hard, then separating them and latching them onto something nearby, but I'm not sure I'd use multiples again from the start.

They are an awesome way to help keep up you activations per turn though. Vastly out-activated my opponent that game, with breaking swarms down and building them up here and there.

Admittedly, I've only been playing for half a year and have only played Ramos and Hoffman a handful of times combined, but I think you'd find better use with other constructs rather than the spiders.

I can't imagine taking them with Hoffman. If I wanted numbers, the Watcher is better and cheaper. If I wanted a large construct, there's a great line up to choose from instead.

As for your list, I'd trade that hunter for another Watcher or two. It's probably the most under-performing piece in C. Hoffman's set.

Thats just my collection rather than what I use. I mostly keep the Hunters because one of the regular gamers at my local club uses Hamelin and Ive found the Hunters' and Peacekeeper's Chain Spears to be rather useful against his Rats by dragging them to their deaths outside of a Ratcathers/Hamelins 6" range.

I refuse to take the Steamborg Executioner as to me, its just something Hoffman shouldn't be allowed to take due to his fluff. As for the Swarms, I just wanted to find a reason to justify buying some at some point in the near future other than 'They would look good in my crews colours.' Oh well, double Warden it is then! XD

I can't imagine taking them with Hoffman. If I wanted numbers, the Watcher is better and cheaper. If I wanted a large construct, there's a great line up to choose from instead.

There may be better models for either role but isn't there something to be said for the flexibility of being able to do either depending on what the situation calls for...

The swarm is a decent model, but only shines when you take into account the options that splitting gives you.

In the hands of anyone other than Ramos, splitting is very dangerous, because the individual spiders are much less dangerous than the swarm. Without his ability to spawn new spiders, the odds of you opponent preventing you from swarming together is just too high.

Thats just my collection rather than what I use. I mostly keep the Hunters because one of the regular gamers at my local club uses Hamelin and Ive found the Hunters' and Peacekeeper's Chain Spears to be rather useful against his Rats by dragging them to their deaths outside of a Ratcathers/Hamelins 6" range.

I refuse to take the Steamborg Executioner as to me, its just something Hoffman shouldn't be allowed to take due to his fluff. As for the Swarms, I just wanted to find a reason to justify buying some at some point in the near future other than 'They would look good in my crews colours.' Oh well, double Warden it is then! XD

I have double Hunters in my Hoffman crew. Not a big fan of the Warden, but that's a personal preference.