Sonnia does what?

DorrieB

Question

Is this correct? Sonnia casts Flame Burst at a Sorrow and gets severe damage. She puts down Blast Marker A so that it's edge touches the base of the Sorrow. Then she puts down Blast Marker B 2" from Blast Marker A, reaching Candy who was 4" away. Then she puts down Blast Marker C 2" away from Blast Marker B, reaching Pandora who was 4" away from Candy and a second Sorrow that was linked to Pandora. Both Sorrows die, Candy and Pandora take 5 wounds each.

Now Sonnia casts it again at Candy and gets Moderate Damage. Blast Marker A on Candy, Blast Marker B on 'dora. Each takes 3 wounds and dies.

15 answers to this question

Provides Sonnia triggered Explosive burst, the placement sounds correct. Damage is wrong though. Initial target takes full damage. Those tagged by blast templates take 1 severity lower per pg 46 RM.

So first sorrow takes 5. Second sorrow, candy and pandora take 3.

Second flame burst causes Candy to take 3 and pandora takes 2

It sounds like you were pretty grouped up. That would be lesson number 1.

Do you have enough terrain? Common question, but if she's sniping you from the other side of the table with impunity then perhaps not.

Lastly, don't forget your Wounds prevention flip. With the blast damage reducing one severity level compared to the main target, you can usually mitigate most of the splash damage on Pandora. She starts with a high enough cache that I'd almost always start with the full 8.

Mike

I mean no harm when I say that the specific interaction you just stated (Although with incorrect Damage was dealt,) is my utmost favorite thing to see.

It is the exact moment that you realize the ever-changing nature of Malifaux.

And the brutality it sheds against generalized lists.

You can't tell me you'll ever go into a game with the same mindset, can you?

Wow, I've only ever seem it played that you can put the first blast marker two inches away then they all have to be in base to base contact as normal (and I thought that was correct tbh). Is that wrong???

Since it specifies normal placement rules and from the target model -as opposed to from each other- I believe you are correct.

Wow, I've only ever seem it played that you can put the first blast marker two inches away then they all have to be in base to base contact as normal (and I thought that was correct tbh). Is that wrong???

This is the way I've always played it and having just quickly reread my card I have to think this is the intended way (2" from target then linked).

Its been ruled before that the first marker is placed up to 2" away from the intial target then the remaining markers are placed base to base.

To clarify: "...Blast damage, place the Blast markers up to 2" away, following normal placement rules, from the target model."

If you rewrote the sentence into two seperate sentences it reads:

place blast markers up to 2" away from the target model.

Use the normal placement rules.

Also note: This trigger happens whenever she gets mod or severe damage as the trigger suits are required for the cast.

Edited by Fastenhate

yes, the original target takes no blast damage at all. They are actually taking a ranged "pistol" attack damage of 5.

The Blasts are generated after the target is hit and its the damage from one intensity lower (if you hit for severe place 3 blast markers 3 damage(moderate) to everything under the markers except the original target.)

Edited by Fastenhate

I mean no harm when I say that the specific interaction you just stated (Although with incorrect Damage was dealt,) is my utmost favorite thing to see.

It is the exact moment that you realize the ever-changing nature of Malifaux.

And the brutality it sheds against generalized lists.

You can't tell me you'll ever go into a game with the same mindset, can you?

Well it was only my 6th game ever, and I'm still just figuring things out, so the mindset is pretty much 'what do I do next?' 'how do I do that?' and 'you gotta be kidding, that can't be right!' : )

How should I 'ungeneralise' my list? I have 'Dora, Candy, Kade, 3 Sorrows, Insy Madness, and Teddy. Thanks!

consider a stitched together to break LoS with the fog;

If you don't want to do that consider a Mysterious Effigy & Arcane Effigy both have auras that can help mitigate incoming damage from range.

The sorrow cluster is really susceptible to blast damage; So try and stay out of LoS and get those flips into the negative by having enough defense.