The Iron Quill Round: Preliminary

edonil

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The page handed him a note, fine paper sealed with wax. The impression was most curious, but as he looked at it, it was the Governor's crest, not the symbol of a chess king. Or was it? The note smelled of anise, fennel and wormwood.

Another long day after a night with the Green Faerie.

Okay. If I make further installments do I post them or send a link to my cloud or....

just reread the first post and noted there are no points for the usage of the mystery ingredients in the manner of theme for the IP. Would that fall under creativity or is it just to create a meaningful point of comparison between entries?
My understanding is that you don't get points for using the theme or item, but if you don't use them at all, your story simply does not qualify. Edonil will no doubt correct me if I am wrong :)

Also, it is worth noting that I am a stickler for grammar and spelling. Just putting that out there ;)

My unsolicited advice to all participants would be not to post bits of your story as you write it. Wait until you have written it all, and even then don't post it yet. Sit on it for a bit, then go back through it and fix all the mistakes (we all make them). Posting first drafts is a tempting prospect - "hey, world - look at my story" - but often as not your first draft is obviously a first draft, riddled with obvious errors, and could well benefit from a clean-up. A few days reflection on your story will also work wonders for going back in and doing a more general edit to bring out character or theme or setting a bit more clearly.

My understanding is that you don't get points for using the theme or item, but if you don't use them at all, your story simply does not qualify. Edonil will no doubt correct me if I am wrong :)

Also, it is worth noting that I am a stickler for grammar and spelling. Just putting that out there ;)

My normal forum posts are made via mobile phone so I am not as diligent as I should be and I tend not to go back in to fix any errors if the meaning is clear. :facepalm:

That won't be the case when posting a finished work.

Edited by Chucklemonkey

The page handed him a note, fine paper sealed with wax. The impression was most curious, but as he looked at it, it was the Governor's crest, not the symbol of a chess king. Or was it? The note smelled of anise, fennel and wormwood.

Another long day after a night with the Green Faerie.

Okay. If I make further installments do I post them or send a link to my cloud or....

I think we were to start a new thread which details it is an Iron Quill 1 entry in the title.

This is correct. I'll update the rules to make that clearer. If you would like to post some WIP stuff, which I know helps some people a lot (personally, I tend to fall into this camp myself), I'd recommend you make a WIP thread of your story, and then another one that'd be the 'finished' thread. Although I also think Sholto's advice would be good to follow as well.

Is it too late to join?

Nope, not at all! I'll add you in. :)

just reread the first post and noted there are no points for the usage of the mystery ingredients in the manner of theme for the IP. Would that fall under creativity or is it just to create a meaningful point of comparison between entries?

...(facepalm) And this is me changing things mid draft and spacing on updating them later. There was supposed to be a category in the scoring for the Mystery Ingredient, so I'll add them back in. However, scoring is a little different in this than it is in Iron Painter. The scoring is a guideline system for the authors and judges critiquing other participants work, which will also provide an easy format for feedback. The scores are not what will decide the winner of each round, that'll be the public poll (made when all submissions are done) and the private (which is the authors and judges PMing me their scoresheets and their weighted votes) . If people don't like that, though, we can switch to a pure Iron Painter system.

Adding as a bit of an editorial note, I think it's awesome how much participation we're getting! Looking forward to reading what you guys come up with! If there's anymore questions, let me know, keep in mind this is a first draft of these rules, so there'll be some changes and such made as time goes on while reality intersects with what I've written (or thought I wrote down. o.O).

English spelling or American spelling :)

Honestly I would be worried about grammar and spelling but about 5 years okay I picked myself up one of these things called a Wife. I just insert my poorly written documents into the wife's hands and she spits out everything I did wrong. To be honest she does that without a piece of writing in her hands most of the time anyways. :)

I guess I need to start writing something. I had some ideas but none of them work with the theme.

Scottish Gaelic.

:Paralyzed_Puppet:

O.O Ummm...I think I recognize maybe, maybe two words from Gaelic. So if you want to include them, be extra special sure you got it right, cause I'll be googling them, LOL.

Personally, I intermix American spelling with English spelling all the time. Comes from reading Black Library for so many years. So long as it's right with one of them, I don't care myself...but Sholto is another category there, lol.

O.O Ummm...I think I recognize maybe, maybe two words from Gaelic. So if you want to include them, be extra special sure you got it right, cause I'll be googling them, LOL.

Oh don't worry, I definitely don't know a single word of Gaelic =]

Well I've already got my idea and story breakdown sorted, just need to do a little research, some character design and find a way to fit that darn theme in there (chess part is sorted).

Though I was wondering, because my writing style relies on leaving out information, is Dark Rat familiar with Malifaux? I can leave a note at the end if needed.

In that case good... I thought not. But the way the first post is set out does make it a wee bit ambiguous in that regard.

Also (and you'll have to forgive me, I'm very dense), does my story get posted in this forum (ie The Writing Room) with the title arranged as indicated in the OP of this thread/ that's my instinct but again (and it may be the consequence of too much gin...) it seems slightly unclear to my enfeebled brain.

5. Participants will have three weeks to complete their entry and post it on the forums in a new thread using a format that identifies easily that the story is an entry and what round. For example: Iron Quill Round 1: The Dark of the Night (or something) Clarified, June 2nd 2012

Same forum*. Seperate thread. Clearly labelled.

*Unless you're planning on telling your story in the medium of painted miniatures ;)

Edited by ThePandaDirector