Hoffman + Pale Rider; Match Made in Hell?

E.T.A. Hoffman

• 2 weeks later...

I used them together the other day but I didn't use the assimilate on him (other then for immune to influence). Nothing he has really would go together with him for being useful.

Stage 1

gains Critical strike on final moments and final moments gains a + dmg flip...

Hoffman already can do a crit strike with his machine puppet and doesn't have final moments so wouldn't be useful.

Stage 2

Armor +1, and rapid fire

Hoffman doesn't have a ranged weapon, so rapid fire is useless, and he can use assimilate to take armor 2 from another construct that you should bring (i.e. peacekeeper).

Stage 3

+1 fast and Hard to wound 2.

This would be the ONLY useful one to take. If you could at all.

In the end though, it wouldn't work. The spell would never take effect.

Chasing Death: At the start of this models activation.. blah blah blah. Essentially Hoffman won't have the ability when his activation starts.

Sorry but no good to assimilate things off of him. Maybe bulletproof or immune but he usually has those anyway.

Avatar Hoffman is a different story though and could utilize everything above. Regular hoffman, not so much.

It isn't worth assimilating this ability, it ceases to be at all useful until stage 3 - Hoffman can't get armor buffs outside Protected by Machines.

All of Pale Rider's other assimilable tricks reference his weapon or Chasing Death except Mounted Fusillade, which doesn't work because The Hoff has -- for charge distance, so as funny as it would be to reach out and torch someone you can't even perform the ability without a charge distance. So there really is nothing on Pale Rider that you can gain any benefit by assimilating, though he's still a great addition to your crew.

I ran them together for the first time and I gotta say I was not disapointed. I started them in b2b and used run and gun to get a shot off while moving Hoffman all over the board. I used override edict to get additional uses out of him too. And something I've noticed that others might not have, when you used machine puppet using final moments, the affects of that weapon still apply. You can't use triggers but any abilities of that gun take place. So if Hoffman uses machine puppet final moments, then he heals those 2 wounds, since he is firing the weapon...techinally.

In one round I actived the Pale Rider, shot a doggy to death. Then activated Hoffman, exposed circuitry, killed three more dogs, then reactivated the Pale Rider who now had 4 kills in his death cycle. For 9 SS, the Pale Rider brings a lot of hurt!

Assimilating Final Moments is wasteful. Feedback heals you for 1 Wd every time the Pale Rider heals 2 Wd off a Final Moments strike, so you're wasting it just to get 1 more wound healed, when you could easily just assimilate the healing flip off a Guardian, or an offensive ability that directly helps you win more. It's not like The Hoff has a shortage of construct buddies to heal vicariously off of with feedback...

I don't think its that wasteful really. Think about it. Hoffman nabs the gun. Gains the abilities of the gun. So say the Rider activated this turn with 0 deaths. He'd get +flip to damages right. Well thats given to his gun, Final Moments. So when Hoffman Take the gun, he'd get the heal 2 wounds ability and the +Dam. AND! The big thing, is that he can now SS the ranged attacks. A sad fact I recently learned, Hoffman cannot SS Machine Puppet attacks because its not him making the attack.

Hoffman doesnt heal, pale rider heals, since HE is (still) shooting!

Hoffman does indeed heal if he assimilates Final Momenst. He is assimilating the gun itself not forcing the pale rider to shoot his gun. That is the difference and why you assimilate the gun instead of machine puppeting.

I don't think its that wasteful really. Think about it. Hoffman nabs the gun. Gains the abilities of the gun. So say the Rider activated this turn with 0 deaths. He'd get +flip to damages right. Well thats given to his gun, Final Moments. So when Hoffman Take the gun, he'd get the heal 2 wounds ability and the +Dam. AND! The big thing, is that he can now SS the ranged attacks. A sad fact I recently learned, Hoffman cannot SS Machine Puppet attacks because its not him making the attack.

I am super excited to try this combo out soon.

I was under the impression that assimilate had been changed to specifically not include the ability to copy weapons and their respective talents?

Here is the ruling:

http://www.wyrd-games.net/showthread.php?23258-Is-Reactivate-a-Talent-Hoffman/page12&highlight=assimilate+on+card#114

Here is the same ruling in the FAQ:

"Q. I'm confused, what can I Assimilate?

A. If you can copy a Talent, you may copy any printed Ability, Action, or Trigger the target possesses only. Action Modifiers are not considered Talents for the purposes of Assimilate unless they are printed Talents possessed by the model."

Notice how it no longer includes Weapons under Talents. A clear change for this ability and not what is classified as a Talent in general (pg 12. RM).

Not trolling; just want to make sure I have the rule right. Cheers

Not so sure about that. I need to look some stuff up. If its true then that kind of stinks.

---------- Post added at 02:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:27 PM ----------

if that's the case then the only way to nab reactivate would be from Joss. It's printed on his card, he just needs to have access to it. If you pump him up, then he gains it, you can use hoffman to steal it from him I think. That'd be sweet.