Lawyer - Censure and Focus/Channel

TheNance

Question

7 answers to this question

Focus says to perform a Strike, just with a :+fate to the Attack and Damage Flips, so you're making a Strike but not a Strike action. Similarly, Channel says to Cast a spell, which isn't the same as a Cast action.

Red Tape would apply because it says "Strikes or Casts targeting this model" and isn't specific about them being the Action version.

I'm pretty sure focus is a strike action. At the very least it would stand to reason that if focus says to make a strike with a :+fate, you are making a strike action based on the "make a strike."

Nah, doesn't work that way. I'm pretty sure there have been multiple posts by the marshals to that effect - I distinctly remember them in the context of the discussion about counters to Alps.

If rule refers to "strike action" it refers to action named "strike" and nothing else. Other actions may generate strikes, but they are not "strike actions" as their name differs.

If rule refers to "strikes" on the other hand, it covers all actions that generate strikes.

The FAQ cannot come fast enough. I don't remember the exact ruling (I'd post the link then), but I remember Whirling Death and such were ruled to bypass Alps Exhaustion (works against Strike and Walk actions) and if Whirling Death is not a Strike action (only generates these) then why would Focus be?

On the negative side of the things, this is also the reason why we cannot combine the Melee Expert specific AP with General AP to make a Focused Strike.

When the rules say "Strike action" it means the actual (1) Strike. Anything else that makes you perform a strike is still not the Strike-action.

Another great example of strikes not coming from a Strike-action is the Charge-action. You pay 2 AP to perform the Charge-action. What the charge-action results in, is you move the model up to it's Cg and if it is in range with one of it's melee weapons it makes a strike. The action you are performing is a Charge. What happens is a movement-effect and a strike.