Help - new player, can't find crew lists!

Blatherington

Hey all,

I played my first game of malifaux a couple of weeks back, and enjoyed it enough to pick up the rules manual and a starter crew, but now I find myself a bit lost - the manual contains rules for selecting a crew, but it doesn't seem to contain what I suppose I think of as an army list - a list of models which can be included in a crew, along with what they do.

Are the crew lists available online, or do I need to buy a seperate book?

There are three ways I know of where you can get information for building crews. I'd suggest you just take a peak at the first two and pick up a box set of the one you like the most. You also could pick up "Rising Powers" for more options (great background), or "Twisted Fates" for advance options (current story).

pullmyfinger.wikispaces.com/home - gives a tactical breakdown of 95% of the units out there, but doesn't give the points value.

malifaux.netzumi.me.uk/ - listed by faction, full point cost but missing a lot of the newer stuff.

Podcasts! (my favorite)

The Gamers Lounge, The Aethervox, Cheated Fates

Yeah the vast majority of the book one models can be found online at the above mentioned link for free. If I were you I would pick up the Rising Powers book as well. It has fantastic fluff, great artwork and all of the stats for the book 2 models. If your like 99.9% of the Malifaux players I have met you will buy it eventually anyways so you might as well bite the bullet now =).

As others have pointed out, there aren't really any "army lists" in Malifaux

A Master can hire any model from it's own faction, except for the restrictions given by Rare X, Unique or Special Forces. You could theme the crew if you want (and the models' abilities often synergize better if you do, eg. An all-Family Perdita crew, or an all-Showgirl Colette crew), but there's nothing stopping you taking Marcus with mechanical spiders or Seamus with spirits.

The rules for all the models are across several books. Malifaux (Book 1 - currently out of print and awaiting revision), Rising Powers and Twisting Fates. All the stat cards for Book 1 are available in PDF form on the Downloads page of this site. The Crew Creator linked above has the Soulstone costs of all minions and allows you to choose your crew in advance, but often that's not how the game is meant to be played.

In Malifaux you don't build your crew up front. You randomly flip your Strategy, tell your opponent what faction you'll be using and *then* choose a crew best suited yo the situation. Rather than building an army list, you need to think of Malifaux as needing a toolbox of different models that you can put on the table when their skills will be most useful.

My advice, read through Pull My Finger entries for your faction and see which models appeal to you. Then build up your available options one at a time without trying to fit them into an "army".

Mike

Thanks everyone!

So if I've got this right, what I need in order to be able to look at a complete list of options is the PDF downloads and two more rulebooks, or one of each Stat card from the store?

That bit at the start of the manual about how annoying it is to flip between a bunch of different rules must seem painfully ironic nowadays!

There's a lot less flipping through books than you might think. It sounds like you want to plan out your lists before you buy the models and possibly proxy some stuff. Both smart decisions, if you want to play more competitively. In actual practice though, once the strategy is flipped crews are hired from the models available in your collection. That's a stack of cards in front of you and all of the rules are on them.