Basing Matters?

LordZombie

So my friends in my gaming group are going all out on the bases for their minis. Making plasicard bases with crates and what not. The other one is going with green stuff and stamps. I myself and just going with with basic dirt and few graveyard objects (I play all the ressers). My point and question is this, is basing a really big thing in most groups? I figure it is a big deal in tournament, but do does your gaming group go all out when it comes to basing? I ask as I wonder if I should put a little more to my bases.

Groups of people tend to end up working toward a similar standard or type of presentation. So its no surprise that if one or two are setting a "standard" with basing that the others are rising to try and match/beat/emulate that standard.

As for if it is or isn't a general approach it honestly varies from player to player. Some will go all to town on everything, others will be quite happy to just have a standard model and a fairly simple base.

As a model to be played and used I think many tend to just go for what is functional; whilst models for display purposes tend to get a bit of extra treatment.

For malifaux, I generally put a lot more effort into basing than with warhammer or 40k, because I only have a small crew. I put more effort in than warmachine too, because its smaller.

Generally:

Malifaux/other skirmish - Buy detailed bases, or make them to a good standard involving a lot of time and effort.

Warmachine - Rarely buy bases because its too expensive, make some detailed ones because I think they matter more as theres less models than warhammer.

Warhammer/kings of war - Not much effort, there's units of 40 and they wont be seen.

Obviously there are exceptions. About the same for the other guys in my group, though a lot dont put any real attention into the bases.

My group ranges from a guy that ordered custom made resin bases to a guy who just puts them on the black plastic bases and says "deal with it." I personally like to have nice bases that can compliment the model. I have started to custom make bases but most the time I just cheat and buy resin bases from a company like micro arts studio. Cheap enough for the presentation and really, it ends up being like $15 bucks to base a malifaux crew.

I like cool custom bases but given the time it takes me just to get a mini painted I general just go with the flock and go approach.

I think a nice base really does enhance a model but generally speaking even the most strict painting requirement tournaments only require a base to be flocked.

If you spend the time to paint your models then basing is a pretty important part. It doesn't really take that much to make a base pop, some cork, some flock or sand, some ink or paint, some static grass, some clump foliage, some water effect done. If you want to get fancier there are plenty of things you can just add (most of which are readily available in the game store already) or create out of bass/ balsa wood. If stratch building isn't your thing then just use any of the Resin bases or Wyrds metal inserts and accesory packs to do them up.

Basing can really make a model look right, but it's how well it suits the crew rather than how complicated it is in my opinion. Don't get me wrong, a base full of details and effort often works really well, but sometimes it's not that necessary.

My Kirai crew are on pretty simple bases, but there's a common theme, and a little thought in each one. They're all set in a ruined tea garden, which means badly kept grass and gravel paths. Some are on the edge of a stream for added variation and interest. The bigger stuff gets more details as there's more space, but again the main thing is that they match each other and don't overpower the models (that's another mistake I've seen spoil a lovely paintjob. It's as bad as doing too little).

All in all, go with whatever you feel will look right. But don't feel like you have to go crazy on evey base just because others are, more detail is no guarantee of a better base!

You don't have to go all out and make or buy fancy detailed custom bases. The Wyrd ones are simple for the most part but work because they give the model a real, recognisable setting that all the models share. Others are often similar. you can of course make every base an individual work of basing genius, and as long as the model's still the dominant feature and there's some reason for it to be on that base, they'll look great.

Depends on what you mainly want to use the models for IMO. I played a game of WH40k vs a guy that had made really detailed bases (mostly debris and other stuff you could expect to see on an old battlefield), looked great when you took up an individual piece and looked at it. But when he deployed his army it looked more like battle for planet junkyard on his side of the table.

My army on the other end (I just have plain flocked bases) looked more natural on the table. The bases doesn't really add anything to the models as display pieces, but they don't substract anything either. You also don't get any questions like "Why is that elf carrying around a chimney". So it kinda depends on whether you're a modeller or a gamer.

Depends on what you mainly want to use the models for IMO. I played a game of WH40k vs a guy that had made really detailed bases (mostly debris and other stuff you could expect to see on an old battlefield), looked great when you took up an individual piece and looked at it. But when he deployed his army it looked more like battle for planet junkyard on his side of the table.

My army on the other end (I just have plain flocked bases) looked more natural on the table. The bases doesn't really add anything to the models as display pieces, but they don't substract anything either. You also don't get any questions like "Why is that elf carrying around a chimney". So it kinda depends on whether you're a modeller or a gamer.

That is the same thing I am always thinking. I plan to base all my ressers on graveyard bases as it would look odd for McMourning and the Nurse to stand on tile while the punk zombies are standing on dirt. Guess I fall more in the gamer than the modeler. Thanks for the replies everyone.

I try to do different textures on bases(going from grass to brick etc) by having a few key models that share all elements. Like my master would have part brick and part grass. But yeah my bases tend to be simple. My ressers are all on bricks I carved out of wood putty. Effective and cheap!