Choosing a crew?

SpiralngCadavr

So, basically, I like all of the nephilim choices in Rising Powers (the paired demons, Nekima, the shaman, am I forgetting something?), but only like Lilith okay (like her story more than her mini), and don't like the rest of the nephilim in the first book.

Which results in 2 questions--

1) can I run Lilith well without any other nephilim from book 1?

2) which masters could run nephilim from book 2 well?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Well, really the twins work in Lillith's crew (for obvious reasons) Zoraida likes just about any Neverborn piece, They work with Pandora because they're Woes, and they are nightmares so the dreamer can take them. So they are going to go just fine in any crew you want.

Nekima and the Shaman both want more Nephillem around though. Mainly Terror tots and Lillith. although you could have Zoraida hire them instead of Lillith. As i mentioned, she's good with just about any crew as long as she has her voodoo dolls.

So, 1) yes you can. you might also look at April releases and check out the new Lillith sculpt. i love it

2) yep. :D

1) Lilith would be quite capable with a crew made up of no Nephilim aside from Tuco, the Twins and possibly a Blood Shaman. However Nekima is less useful since her bonuses mainly work with the book 1 Nephilim. You also want to bare in mind that it pays to include cheaper minions in the crew, for extra activations and objective grabbers.

2) Zoraida. She's not melee focussed and can't collect Blood Counters for her crew, but she more than makes up for it with her control spells like Obey and Bewitch. :D

Edited by Rathnard

The posters above both make excellent points.

With respect to your first question, I would like to suggest that you consider Stitched Together and Waldgeist as well.

When playing with Lilith, I will usually take a Stitched or a Waldgeist. I consider that to be a either/or proposition, I rarely take both. What informs my decision is the type of terrain on the board. If there are no forests, I will typically take a Stitched. If there are even just one or two small forests or if I think my opponent will hire a lot of immune to influence or construct models then I take the waldgeist.

The reason I prefer these models in a Lilith Crew is that they both provide a lot of LOS blocking and they are both really good at holding a point. The Stitched also allows you to diversify your attack vectors, meaning that it is attacking enemy models in a different way than Lilith is (Wp vs Df, respectively).

While both of those models may seem slow initially, they both have ways of getting up the field quickly.

Waldgeits can get across the board really quickly with intelligent use of its (1) Uproot spell.

Stitched is admittedly rather sluggish compared to Lilith, but if you use Lilith's (1) Transposition spell well, you can potentially move you Stitched 24" in one AP (and into your opponents lines, if you so desire)

Waldgeist also gives you a lot of direct board control that increases in effectiveness the more forests there are on the board. His melee range gets extended to 2" beyond any forest he is in B2B with, which can add up very quickly. Waldgeist can also make use of Lilith's (1) Illusionary Forest if there are no other forests on the board, so he can still use some of his forest tricks, even if there are no forests on the board at the start of the game.

First, thanks for the advice.

Second, so, instead of starting another thread, I've got a few more questions about limitations

I've have compiled a list of models that I'd probably collect (not counting the third book-still don't have it):

Masters:

zoraida

lilith

dreamer

-swamp themed pieces, incl gremlins

-the more human/less cartoony nephilim (want to do a natural theme for them)

-nightmares and constructs (daydreams, coppelius, stitched together, madness, rider)

Will that be plenty to work with, or is there something I'll really be missing? Basically, I'm not a big fan of the "cartoony" neverborn, with the exception of the daydreams, and am interested in doing a darker/nature's revenge feel (with exceptions for the Dreamer).

Also, is Pandora any good with this selection? I'm mostly interested in the above three, but might want to expand to pandora (and am fine with her ghosty guys, but not interested in the kids or teddy)

thanks again

I feel I have a pretty competitive selection of NB, and I don't own many. I have:

The Dreamer/Chompy

Daydreams

Pandora

Primordial Magic

Doppleganger

3 sorrows

3 Insidious Madness

2 Stitched Together

2 Lilitu

2 Lelu

Coppelius

The Dreamer has a good deal of overlap between minions that also work well with Pandora.

If you go the Lilith route I wouldn't discount Terror Tots. Fast models with a Def of 6...Yes please.

Edited by Fetid Strumpet

I feel I have a pretty competitive selection of NB, and I don't own many. I have:

The Dreamer/Chompy

Daydreams

Pandora

Primordial Magic

Doppleganger

3 sorrows

2 Stitched Together

2 Lilitu

2 Lelu

Coppelius

The Dreamer has a good deal of overlap between minions that also work well with Pandora.

If you go the Lilith route I wouldn't discount Terror Tots. Fast models with a Def of 6...Yes please.

I have no problem with the rules-- I recently got pretty schooled by a lilith crew, and have a healthy respect for what they can do.

I just think that the tots/young/mature nephilim are way too cartoony for me. I may try to figure out alternative minis to represent them, but I find that I don't paint minis I don't like, and don't play minis that I don't paint, so I'd need to figure out a good piece to represent them before I play them, and that's pretty hard to do because 1-I need 3 sizes of the same sort of mini and 2- they need to have wings...

The posters above both make excellent points.

With respect to your first question, I would like to suggest that you consider Stitched Together and Waldgeist as well.

When playing with Lilith, I will usually take a Stitched or a Waldgeist. I consider that to be a either/or proposition, I rarely take both. What informs my decision is the type of terrain on the board. If there are no forests, I will typically take a Stitched. If there are even just one or two small forests or if I think my opponent will hire a lot of immune to influence or construct models then I take the waldgeist.

The reason I prefer these models in a Lilith Crew is that they both provide a lot of LOS blocking and they are both really good at holding a point. The Stitched also allows you to diversify your attack vectors, meaning that it is attacking enemy models in a different way than Lilith is (Wp vs Df, respectively).

While both of those models may seem slow initially, they both have ways of getting up the field quickly.

Waldgeits can get across the board really quickly with intelligent use of its (1) Uproot spell.

Stitched is admittedly rather sluggish compared to Lilith, but if you use Lilith's (1) Transposition spell well, you can potentially move you Stitched 24" in one AP (and into your opponents lines, if you so desire)

Waldgeist also gives you a lot of direct board control that increases in effectiveness the more forests there are on the board. His melee range gets extended to 2" beyond any forest he is in B2B with, which can add up very quickly. Waldgeist can also make use of Lilith's (1) Illusionary Forest if there are no other forests on the board, so he can still use some of his forest tricks, even if there are no forests on the board at the start of the game.

Somehow, I missed your post-- thanks, those are both minis I'm already interested in, so I think that'll be a good direction.

One advantage you have is that NB, especially their book 2 minions, are exceptionally strong, and often work very well no matter which master you choose. The Twins go well with basically every one. There are certainly Power builds for NB, but you can almost pick any master, add book 2 minions, and do well. Pick the Master you like and the minions you like, and you'll probably do well.