The end of "Twisting Fates" [Warning: SPOILERS]

@ nerdelemental: nice to see my guesses onsidering the "background" of the "background" of Malifaux were quite accurate... though i really had to grin when i first read the name "cherufe" in the fluff... paricular in combination with the "red haired" female character callend "sonnia" *g*

also i liked the wendigo and "heart of ice" connotations in the Raspy fluff, and i'm quite looking forward what other "motives" you will be borrowing... i consider it quite entertaining to recognize the various mythological influences...

@ Wyrd & fluff: YAJ! Wyrdbooks Black library style would be pure awesome!

Maybe someone pointed this out already, or maybe not, but isn't there a dead Lady Justice? I have see the limited edition box set and heard something about a building falling on top of her, so isn't she dead also? I see Malifaux as high fantasy enough that death would really mean nothing to any of the named characters. Not taking a dig at Wyrd, but killing main characters and then having a way for them to not die is pretty standard comic book story lines. It works for me.

Maybe someone pointed this out already, or maybe not, but isn't there a dead Lady Justice? I have see the limited edition box set and heard something about a building falling on top of her, so isn't she dead also? I see Malifaux as high fantasy enough that death would really mean nothing to any of the named characters. Not taking a dig at Wyrd, but killing main characters and then having a way for them to not die is pretty standard comic book story lines. It works for me.

No she not, or not yet.

Also I must have missed when Tina died

Temporarily, when her heart burst from her chest to prevent December from "stepping in". But then he brought her back because, y'know, he kind of needs her.

At first, I had issue with the three "they're dead! Aha, no they're not!" trick but the more I thought about it, the more I liked it. In a game where you use Fate decks, cheat fate, gain positive and negative twists of fate and read a book called Twisting Fates, I'm okay with the idea the Masters are a cut above on the destiny spectrum.

No she not, or not yet.

Also I must have missed when Tina died

Yeah, I have no idea. I am just going by the models and what someone said. I don't have the books so I am a little limited to what is online and what little reading I can get in when a friend brings the book over. It would be nice to have some story behind the characters in a "character driven" game that EVERYONE could enjoy. Now, that was a dig at Wyrd.

Yeah, I have no idea. I am just going by the models and what someone said. I don't have the books so I am a little limited to what is online and what little reading I can get in when a friend brings the book over. It would be nice to have some story behind the characters in a "character driven" game that EVERYONE could enjoy. Now, that was a dig at Wyrd.

She isn't dead a all, might of had a 'little incident' where she got a hurt, broken arm not much

I never know where to start consideing book 3 and the fluff in general. Usually I just end up criticising parts and theatening Nerd to make the good parts (Marcus) better ;)

@Nerdelemental: I initially didn't see a lot of Norse influence, and I suppose I'm a little bitter because I prefer that kind of mythology over Lovecraft who I'm really jaded with (always have been). However, now I think about it, Cherufe reminds me a lot of Surtr, and Sonnia's sword reminds me of the Magic Sword that Freyr gave Geror, and in some renditions of Ragnarok, is the sword Surtr kills him with. I like that a lot, as my main reason for loving Norse mythology over any other (Greeks still win on monsters though) is because of the character interactions and "epid theatre" elements that I enjoy undermining to create contrast.

I like that you have decided to not make the Tyrants in play characters. Having them as immortal, mysterious, alien, elemental entities that have a single goal that people may or may not find understandable, is probably best. But I think that the human characters need to be understood more to highlight how alien tyrants are. I like in mythology that the Gods do interact with mortals. Most mortals can't comprehend the Gods, but some are strong enough to challenge them, not becasue they understand them, but because they have their own goals. I'd like to see more sgns that these tyrants aren't comprehendable and that those who interact with them are merely headstrong mortals. The story with Pandora and Nytmare did this really well, as we got a good insight inside Pandora's mind, her reaction to an alien plane and there was the subtle underplayed climax with Nytmare which added to his presence.

However, with the tyrant stuff, I was confused because I'm not sure how they relate to avatars. In Sonnia's avatar segment she's alive, etc. But then in the main story it implies that Cherufe is the snake and the cause of her transformation. I'm guessing that Avatas are a result of the Event, and that in this example Cherufe merely manifests Sonnia's Avatar, but it's a little confusing as the game timeline and the fluff timeline are not yet synched - there are story developments that aren't in the game and game elements that aren't in the story.

As for the whole triple whammy. I didn't mind it, and was relieved Seamus was alive. But with 'Tina it just felt a bit like Round 3, and it's hard to believe the same conflict isn't gonna be roughly copy and pasted, with 'Tina's defiance becoming a bit repetetive.

Just make sure not all characters connect to tyrants, as it would be nice for tyrants to be a context some characters can't bring themselves to accept (not that they don't help people who do).

Not too much criticism, and no threats at all, getting better =D

Edited by ThePandaDirector

I understand that as a story progresses, characters evolve, change and all that fun stuff. From a fluff standpoint it's awesome, and I love seeing what will happen to all of the characters, not just the ones I play on the tabletop. However, I hope it doesn't have a "carryover" effect in the rules/game design. The last thing I want to see is alternate versions like say "epics" of the current masters. We have already seen this with Hamelin, and lots of folks cry out for henchmen Samuel Hopkins and Misaki. I hope we don't see them change, even though it fits the story. Just my two cents.

I remember about a month after Twisting Fates came out, I had a guy ask me, "Did they really kill Seamus?". I think he has just picked it up and was reading through the fluff, but I just smiled at him and told him to keep reading.

I think I speak for everyone when I say we are starving for Novels or a re-vamped Chronicles to satisfy our literary taste buds.

However, I hope it doesn't have a "carryover" effect in the rules/game design. The last thing I want to see is alternate versions like say "epics" of the current masters. We have already seen this with Hamelin, and lots of folks cry out for henchmen Samuel Hopkins and Misaki. I hope we don't see them change, even though it fits the story. Just my two cents.

I think it helps the game grow without spreading itself thinly (building up instead of out). But it's important that there are limitations and that a Henchman Samuel would be a different experience to playing with normal Samuel, with new restrictions and flaws in a similar vein to Avatars. It helps people connect to the story (brawls with Marcus and McMourning), while offering a different experience, than just a power leap (I have no opinion of Hamelin).

If I ever made a miniature game (and I'm playing with the idea), I would work the fluff out more like a timeline, so like Warhammer where you can create and try and reinvent history (Total War baby), but where the present fluff actually moves forward and players can feel connected to the world's history in a deeper and more meaningful way. But then if I did design a miniature game it'd put everyone else out of business ;P

I for one loved the fluff. I actually got to talk to some guys at gencon last year about the fluff in the books (like Lilith casting transposition on herself :P ) I think the mystery of what LCB is and the arrival of the tyrants is going to be awesome. Will they be more vicious against each other to "ascend" or want to work together. I don't see Hamelin doing anything to help anyone