Change to blight counters ?

tadaka

Question

Gamers Lounge had an interview around Hamlin recently and they mentioned a damage resolution change so blight counters go in to effect before they take wounds and thus add the blight counter wound to the first hit. Can any one give me any insight in to this change I am missing as my Search Fu has failed to dig this up.

Thanks in advance.

22 answers to this question

This is the ruling you are looking for.

http://www.wyrd-games.net/showthread.php?20176-Order-of-resolution-of-triggers-(eg-Ronin-Run-Through-vs-BOOM!)&p=230593&viewfull=1#post230593

Suffering wounds is part of a single damage event. The wounds from blight counters are combined with the wounds from the attack into a single total.

The question is, does the original attack that gave the Blight Counter benefit from +1dg. It was suggested on that podcast that it does, because the BC is applied "on hitting" and *then* damage is resolved, ie. You already have the BC when the calculate Wds step is reached.

Seems off to me, but that's RAW currently.

Mike

I think you may be right tadaka. I think Magicpockets might have been referring to the Poison ruling which clarified that Poison counters are applied "on hit", where before it was unclear.

If Blight Counters already have their own rules saying you get one when Wounded then I think he was mistaken in the podcast.

Mike

Hello :)

I'd always played it out that the first attack never benefited from the blight counter but with the damage resolution order chart thing that got explained a few months ago they gain the counter before wounds are calculated and then it's there to add +1wd when wounds are actually calculated. I'll try and dig out the thread the person who told me was referring to etc but I was surprised when I got told to be sure.

The question is, does the original attack that gave the Blight Counter benefit from +1dg. It was suggested on that podcast that it does, because the BC is applied "on hitting" and *then* damage is resolved, ie. You already have the BC when the calculate Wds step is reached.

Seems off to me, but that's RAW currently.

Mike

Rats and Hamlin blight counters are worded 2 ways in the book it seams. Rats list on damage Hamlin on wound. I looked at Hamlin page as that was what was listed in the podcast.

What podcast are you talking about?

Okay, I think this was it -

When you are attacked, you Resolve Damage. Damage Resolution is the whole process from being hit to you models Wound Total being changed. In the Damage Resolution Phase you

• Work out how much Dg the Weapon has caused. including triggers and other bonuses.
  • You take that value and modify it with Armour and Spirit etc. This gives you the final Dg total.
  • You then change Dg to Wds.
  • It's at this point you prevent Wds by spending soulstones.
  • Any Wds remaining are applied to the model.

At the end of the Damage Resolution Phase any Wounds Taken is the amount of Damage a attack has caused. Even if this total is 0 Damage, the attack counts as damaging as it has went through the Damage Resolution Phase.

If a Black Joker is flipped for damage, "No Damage" is Caused and therefore Damage Resolution never happens and effects that work on Damaging therefore do nothing.

When you lower damage with Prevention, IE. by spending a Soulstone, if there are no Wounds left after Prevention you also count as having caused "No Damage" and the Damage Resolution is interupted and effects that work on Damaging do nothing.

Essentially damage effects are now applied in step one and wounds in step three. It's just got messy with this Damage/Dg/Wounds thing but hopefully we'll get some clarification soon with this FAQ document.

Okay, I think this was it -

Essentially damage effects are now applied in step one and wounds in step three. It's just got messy with this Damage/Dg/Wounds thing but hopefully we'll get some clarification soon with this FAQ document.

This conflicts with the ruling by Keltheos that I posted. Keltheos states that "after damaging" effects occur after resolving the entire damage step.

Also, Ratty's post makes it clear that "on damage" effects do not occur until the entire damage resolution step is complete, because if you prevent wounds with a soulstone, or the black joker is flipped for damage, no wounds are dealt (step three), and therefore no damage, and "on damage' effects do not occur.

Ratty: "When you lower damage with Prevention, IE. by spending a Soulstone, if there are no Wounds left after Prevention you also count as having caused "No Damage" and the Damage Resolution is interupted and effects that work on Damaging do nothing."

You say that "on damage" effects occur after step one, however if that were the case, the effect would already have resolved before the damage prevention soulstone flip, which Ratty clearly states as preventing "on damage" effects from occurring. In short, both Ratty and Keltheos make it clear that "on damage" effects occur after the entire damage resolution step is completed.

Edited by von Clausewitz

Yep, I can't see how my post could be read another way. On Damage/Damaging comes into effect at the end of damage resolution. So blight counters would be put on the model much to late to effect that damage resolution.

---------- Post added at 10:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:18 PM ----------

I think the best way to think of things is to totally separate Damage and Dg in your mind.

• Damage is the result of a completed Damage Resolution.
  • Dg is a value that is used in the early stages of Damage Resolution.

Yay nurf Hamlin.

(Just a JK)

I think this might be one of the most helpful posts I have read in a long time.

"I think the best way to think of things is to totally separate Damage and Dg in your mind.

Damage is the result of a completed Damage Resolution.

Dg is a value that is used in the early stages of Damage Resolution."

• Damage is the result of a completed Damage Resolution.
  • Dg is a value that is used in the early stages of Damage Resolution.

Just out of curiosity, does this apply to McMourning's Organ Donor ability? The card text uses the Dg value. There is a thread discussing it here http://www.wyrd-games.net/showthread.php?27749-Organ-Donor/page4&highlight=organ+donor but the RMs haven't updated it yet and I've been a little curious.

UPDATE: Ratty posted his reply here: http://www.wyrd-games.net/showthread.php?27749-Organ-Donor&p=373381&viewfull=1#post373381

Turns out McM should read "damage" instead of Dg

Edited by Mydnight