Colette questions but treat me gently

Huang Da Wei

Newbie question so please be patient.

Colette has blinding flash as a df trigger when she is attacked, and I believe she can swap places with another showgirl.

Heres my question, at what point does the trigger happen and what happens after.

My scenario is... someone decides to whoop the lovely ladies ass by attacking with flurry, they attack, Colette gets the right card and activates her trigger, 'poof' big flash of smoke and suddenly some poor girlie is in her place. Does any wound inflicted hit Colette before she vanishes or is it on the newly arriving victim? next part, would the attacker now get no more attacks cos flurry is against 1 model I believe?

Blinding Flash occurs before any damage is dealt, so Colette escapes unharmed.

Even if she swaps before damage is dealt there are no range restrictions on the damage portion of a duel. Range is only checked during the "Declare Target" portion of a duel. If the target is somehow moved after range is checked the rest of the duel still resolves as normal. In short, Blinding flash does not prevent the effects of a duel.

In response to Rebeccajo's post it seems there has been a bit of a mix up... we are both searching the rules pages for clarification, but it would seem my card is wrong. Here is what i found to be the wording on Colette's card by others:

Blinding Flash- After an attack has resolved, the model that attacked this model receives Slow. Switch this model and one other friendly Showgirl within 18".

however, reading it right off my card this is what it states: Blinding Flash: The model that attacked this model receives Slow. Switch this model and one other friendly Showgirl within 18".

Now, i bought my Colette at Gencon in 2010, before she was technically out, so i don't know if maybe mine has a type-o, or whatever... But from what i read, this trigger has no indication of happening after the attack resolves but instead would happen when triggers normally happen as per the rules manual. which is before the damage.

I guess Weird Sketch made a judgment on this, but i cannot find it. does anyone know where it is?

Mine matches the one you have there Jewomie. I purchased mine from the warstore this past October. Not that it makes any difference, who knows how long it was in their stock.

I'm pretty sure she takes the hit. Now that I think about it, I don't think I've ever actually lost a Df duel while using blinding flash. I usually keep a high enough tome in my hand for just such an occasion.

1, She's hit

2, She gets the damage

3, Df trigger activates

4, Flurry ends if the attacker can't reach Colette, because then it can't make any meele strikes against her.

5, profit and the non Colette player rages.

6, until his next activation the attacker is under the effects of slow. The non Colette player rages more :)

It was ruled somewhere but i'm lazy to search for it.

I'm pretty sure she takes the hit. Now that I think about it, I don't think I've ever actually lost a Df duel while using blinding flash. I usually keep a high enough tome in my hand for just such an occasion.

this could be why i thought she didn't take the damage. lol. she's pretty tough if you have the right tome stashed away!

well, if someone could possibly find the marshall ruling on this, i would be very thankful. if i find it first, i'll be sure to post it on this thread... that way, if nothing else, we'll know where it is. :ShortLeg_Puppet:

So, if someone offloads a card and declares flurry on Colette and she disappears, they get 1 hit but lose the rest. They cant chose to use 1ap someway else?

Correct.

Flurry attacks must all be made against the same model, and once Colette gets her trigger off you'll find yourself in melee with a different model, irrespective of whether you hit her or not.

And just to add insult to injury, you'll be Slowed too (worth remembering that this effect applies to ranged attacks as well)

For the record, it looks like there's been a change to the card in later print runs - I bought the box set when it first came out and my card has the same wording as Jewomie -

Blinding Flash: The model that attacked this model receives Slow. Switch this model and one other friendly Showgirl within 18"
At least now it's clear when the trigger activates, which it wasn't before

Cheers

Rob

I am inclined to think they would be slow on their next activation. They have already generated their AP for the current activation prior to recieving slow. I could be wrong however.

RM 34: "(-1) Slow: This model forfeits 1 general AP during its current or next activation, whichever comes first."

If they still have a general AP remaining after the first shot it is immediately lost.

So if Colette were hit by a ranged weapon, when would the slow take affect? That activation if its the attackers first attack (for sake of argument lets say its a death marshal, so no special APs floating round!) or when the model next activates?

The effect is immediate, IIRC. It is well possible for the Slow to be wasted if the attack was made with the last AP*. However in some circumstances models can attack out of their activation - in such cases the Slow received from this trigger will carry to the next activation.

* Actually is it the case? We've always played it like that over here, but if one has no AP to forfeit, the Slow should carry to the next Activation, right?