Not a Fan of Nephilim -- So Zoraida or Collodi to Start?

SardonicArtery

Although I've heard Lilith is a great starting point (I'm completely new to Mali-land), I don't like the look of the rest of her box. As a result, I'm looking into starting with Zoraida or Collodi. I've figured out that Collodi is more niche than Zoraida in terms of models, and that super hag likes a voodoo doll, but after that, I don't know how to fill out their forces and how much overlap is between the two. Any advice on how they run would be appreciated.

Also, what's the difference between a master and a henchman gameplay wise?

Finally, how often do models from other factions come into play in building a list?

A Master is More powerful generally than a Henchman, and has access to a much larger range of models

Depending how new you are to the game, don't worry if it makes no sense yet, ask what you dont understand and i or someone else will explain further so it makes sense:)

Masters can take all of their own faction and any Mercenary (unless stated otherwise)

A Henchman can only take a specific set of models, Collodi for example is only able to take Dolls.

There is also a Difference in how your starting crew size works, and your Soul stone cash works.

Masters are Free, and Have a Cash of X, they are also able to hire a Henchman for their soulstone cost.

Masters can not be hired in a normal game (eg a scrap which is what is usually played) You also play a game of often 25 - 35 Soulstones (equivalent to points) If you do not spend all of these, you can add them to your Masters Cash for the game, so they are not wasted.

A Henchman gets the same 25 - 35 stones to pick a crew from, like a master, but instead of a starting cash they have a henchman x (for Collodi it is henchman 7) This is their Soul stone cash, but they are also able to spend this on hiring models for the game, though it reduces the amount of stones for use in game. However, unlike a master also, if you do not hit the total points for the game size you are playing, you will lose those stones and can not use them in game.

Models wise, they dont over lap to much (wicked dolls and Stitched togethers) On that is like half of Collodis selection, but Zoraida wont often hire a wicked doll, though she is able to summon them for "free" in game. But you could take a Zoraida lead Collodi Crew, gives you lots less dolls to play with (makes it quicker and easier to get to a starting point in the game)

What you need for each crew:

Collodi, 4 Marionettes, Lost of wicked Dolls about 6 seems to be the magic number? Ideally 3 Stitched together, and as they are released all the effigys people keep saying, and possible also when released the Weaver Widow.

Zoraida, Vodo Doll, Something big to obey and hit stuff, and whatever else Merc or Neverborn you like, not to sure what is best with her, but often Sillurids are chosen (part of her starter box) Though i often say an Insidious madness is good so you can obey your opponents big models when they think they are safe from your obey tricks:)

Feels like i have said a lot here, i hope it makes sense to you, and is of some use, if not then im sorry:(

Zoraida without Collodi: Von Schill is amazing. Hooded rider is great. Slurid or terror tots make good grunts. She also works well with gremlins. In short she can work with just about anyone.

I really like Zoraida with Collodi. Offers great mobility and a good theme. While you have less SS to hire things with, you can hire models outside the SF category. A primordial magic also allows you to control the deck even more.

Effigies look really good-particularly when you cast "filled with stones" on them. Imagine a hodgepodge effigy with armour +2, object +1, hard to kill, fast, melee expert and the trigger it has to ignore armour/hard to kill/ hard to wound....

Stitched are very good for the same reason.

As others have said I would pick up a Collodi box, some wicked dolls, voodoo doll and zoraida. I would also HIGHLY recommend an insidious madness- its attack allows you to strip off immunity to WP duels for a turn (Zoraida and the stitched's main damage outputs have a WP resist.) If you have connduited the target the turn before, Zoraida can hex off Immune to influence permanently.

Thanks for the thoughts, all. The idea of being able to run those two together makes me happy. I'm a couple of weeks out from a demo game, so I'm sure I'll have absorbed more learnin' by then and go from there.

All those repeat models -- is that just the cost of Collodi, or is it standard in Malifaux lists to spam out one type of model?

That pretty much depends on the leader you're taking, Sardonic. Gremlins, Hamelin and Nicodem will invariably have a lot of model spam (respectively gremlins, rats and mindless zombies), but you can go completely the other way and have someone like Perdita who brings her entire family of unique models with her. In most cases though there'll be a couple of repeat models due to cost/efficiency reasons.