Yay, another primer question!!!!!

Jewomie

Duplicolor. It lays down fantastically,.. and can be gotten in black, grey, or white. Is sandable, and usually available at most auto parts stores. And usually when talking about primers, the issue of glue comes up,.. so,... loctite super glue (control gel). Even on metal to metal surfaces,... small dab,.. hold pieces together, count to ten,.... done.

I've used many different primers over the years, and have recently switched to Army Painter (http://www.thearmypainter.com/), which has hands down the best coverage and the least clumping I've ever experienced.

Your mileage may vary ... I tried a couple of different Army Painter spray primers two years ago and ruined a bunch of models. They were by far the worst spray paints I've ever used and I'll never touch them again. I've had 100% better results with $1 no-brand cans from the local supermarket. Yes, I followed all the Army Painter instructions to the letter and even watched their how-to videos several times.

Their range has expanded though, and it's possible they have new formulas, etc. I have heard both good reports and bad. Give them a try, but try it out on a model you don't care about first.

Mostly primer is supposed to do 2 things :

Stick to the surface better than paint and give the paint something to stick to.

For those reasons I prefer Krylon.##

Citidel paints and minis are designed to be incompatible with anything else. I do not advocate for any citadel products.

(I've had dry paint flake off citidel primer. )

Remember to thoroughly clean minis before priming to remove mold release. Soap, water, a toothbrush and elbow grease. (Just buy a cheap toothbrush for your paint kit.)

Color of primer makes a subtle impact on the paint. I have used different colors for different effects, I mostly use grey.

My issue is this:

I am allergic to the propellant in spray cans. Does anyone know of a primer that can be applied by airbrush?

It seems most people swear by spray-on primer, but after using Dupli-Color quite a bit and being pretty pleased with it, I'am trying out Vallejo brush on primer. The results have been good so far. I don't have to worry about being too far or too close or what the atmospheric conditions are. Its great during the winter. I also get better coverage. No matter how hard you try you just can't get into some areas of a model with a spray. When it dries it shrinks down and I notice no loss of detail. Holding up those models I've sprayed and those I've brushed on, I can tell no difference.

This might be another option if you are allergic or have problems with spray-ons for other reasons.

its been my experience 99% Of Primer problems are user error. over/under shaken, too far/close. In the end just play around till you find that magic can.

"followed all the Army Painter instructions to the letter". :P

I've had no problems at all with any other brand of primer, from cheapy no-brand ones up to overpriced GW primers (which are the ones I tend to use now). The Army Painter sprays were just horrible - the models looked like they'd been dipped in glue and sand.

I am allergic to the propellant in spray cans. Does anyone know of a primer that can be applied by airbrush?

Vallejo and Reaper make brush on Primers which should work if thinned a bit for Airbrush work (thin with Flow Improver not Water, of course if you have an airbrush you probably do that already anyway).