Noob question!

iconnor1

Hey, anyone with experience using pine-sol or simple green (if can find some in town, never seen) on plastic or resin minis?

My youngin got impatient waiting for me to get out the hospital and "painted" a couple her super dungeon explore minis. Not only did she not get the result was hoping for, she did not clean off the horrid flash lines.

Im assuming they wont harm but would like to verify before have to buy another 85$ box set.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for all the tips, so if I mess up you recommend just priming over the entire figure again and starting over? or am I misunderstanding?

won't the paint layers pile up too much?

Also I think I just realized everyone's Seamus bases are different. Does the box not include base inserts? will I have to make my own?

sorry I left that part blurry, paint over the mistake, not the entire model :)

and yes, you'll have to make your own bases - no inserts in the box... so you'll have to make your own...

I'm using these to base my Redchapel box: http://frpgames.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=52657

FRPGames is one of the few places I know in the states where they are relatively cheap. Some stores do carry them though.

You'll need the heavy clippers I mentioned (or a jeweler's saw or hobby saw) to cut the base tabs off, needle files and/or sandpaper to smooth the feet down, and a pin vice with bits and some paper clips, shirt pins, or florist wire (depending on foot and ankle size) to pin them down.

It's far easier than it sounds- I'm still new to it and I'm getting great results.

Simple green will take off paint on plastic although I find the models need to sit in it longer.

I suggest Superclean. I find that even Simple Green will damage plastic, over time. Superclean won't do anything to metal or plastic, except pull the paint, primer, and superglue off. The paint literally started to fall off of Zoraida, within hours. I hit it with a toothbrush and it's cleaner than the day I bought it. It's cheaper in bulk than Simple Green as well (from Wal Mart).

If you use it beware, it's HELL on skin. It's a biodegradable engine degreaser, so, wear gloves of some sort.

I'm using these to base my Redchapel box: http://frpgames.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=52657

FRPGames is one of the few places I know in the states where they are relatively cheap. Some stores do carry them though.

You'll need the heavy clippers I mentioned (or a jeweler's saw or hobby saw) to cut the base tabs off, needle files and/or sandpaper to smooth the feet down, and a pin vice with bits and some paper clips, shirt pins, or florist wire (depending on foot and ankle size) to pin them down.

It's far easier than it sounds- I'm still new to it and I'm getting great results.

Those look nice and they're cheap too! too bad they're out of stock

afterwards, wash your mini. Basicly you can do all the minis with Badab Black or Devlan Mud (choose whichever you like more) EXCEPT the skin - but don't dip it, use the brush! wash the skin in Ogryn Flesh (that's how I do mine (see my avatar to the left) - I know some people wash with Devlan Mud but I find it a bit too dirty looking).

Now you're done washing..

So, last night i tried the Ogryn Flesh wash on some of my show girls..... OH MY GOD, you aren't kidding. Easily the best wash for skin that i've used. I'll admit, i used the bahab black thinking, "shadows are black... dur dur dur" but i was never stoked about the end result. once the black wash dries they look like mechanics with greace all over their faces. But the Ogryn Flesh wash is brilliant!

I suggest Superclean. I find that even Simple Green will damage plastic, over time. Superclean won't do anything to metal or plastic, except pull the paint, primer, and superglue off. The paint literally started to fall off of Zoraida, within hours. I hit it with a toothbrush and it's cleaner than the day I bought it. It's cheaper in bulk than Simple Green as well (from Wal Mart).

If you use it beware, it's HELL on skin. It's a biodegradable engine degreaser, so, wear gloves of some sort.

Interesting. Not sure if I should use it thought- as a condo dweller I don't even have a garden hose, much less a garage and laundry sink.

[threadjack] @Dustcrusher: Payne's Gray wash. He didn't really go into specifics. My normal method is base -> highlight -> extreme highlight -> wash (to tone it down and smooth it together). Does this work with the Payne's Gray? Or should I wash before I highlight? [/threadjack]

Edited by dsmiles

Wow this is going to get expensive I can tell!

I ordered my seamus crew, should be here next week, but I still gotta buy a fate deck.

Now I want paints, brushes, green stuff, a miniatures drill, metal snips, a hobby knife, and a model file. Holy cow. I'm so excited to get started, but not for spending all this money... haha.

My friend ordered a Ramos crew too and he's excited too.

Edited by iconnor1

Wow this is going to get expensive I can tell!

I ordered my seamus crew, should be here next week, but I still gotta buy a fate deck.

Now I want paints, brushes, green stuff, a miniatures drill, a hobby knife, and a model file. Holy cow. I'm so excited to get started, but not for spending all this money... haha.

My friend ordered a Ramos crew too and he's excited too.

Ramos is so much fun, still one of my fave masters.

The initial outlay for everything is expensive...do you have the rules manual? after the first big outlay of money though it gets kinder...well until you see all them lovely models to add to your crews