Ukrocky at the UK Masters with Marcus and Ramos

ukrocky

...you can kick off a cast of Wild Heart with 2 tomes and select Serpant and Bear...

For clarity's sake, note that Wild Heart states you gain one effect, PLUS one additional effect per :tomes in the casting total. This means as long as it casts you always get minimum 2 effects, and at :tomes :tomes you get 3 effects and a Surge if you want it. I had played Marcus many times before I read carefully enough to figure this out!

Nice catch Alex. I picked up on it after playing Marcus like 6 or 7 times too, my problem now is I keep forgetting about it when I'm playing him and will think of it after I have handed the turn over to my opponent. And it is an amazing trigger for him cause it will help with getting the cards you need in your hand.

This reply is mostly directed toward Corrupted, I hope this helps. Marcus has a Wk/Cg of 5/8 and a reach of 2" so if you have an opponents model within that range and especially if they only have a 1" reach you can kick off a cast of Wild Heart with 2 tomes and select Serpant and Bear. Now you can chage for you second 0 AP and perform a strike that gets a +1 flip to damage and also gets a +2 to what ever damage that you get. you now have the option to hit a second time still with the +2 to damage, and then leave with two walks.

Hi Joe,

I don't have my Marcus card handy, but how are you getting this last part? Marcus gets 2 zeros and 2 regular actions, right? So 0(1) goes to Wild Heart, 0(2) goes to the charge, then you only have 2 actions left, and so could walk once and strike again or walk twice, right?

I'm curious why you have the waldgeist in one of your lists. My opinion so far is that they are just too situational, as in they're very worth while if the table has significant forests but they lose almost everything, and become way overpriced, if it doesn't. Did you know the table layouts ahead of time or is there something I'm missing about them?

Sorry I meant for that to be "you now have the option to hit a second time, still with the +2 to damage, and then leave with a walk. or you can forgo the second strike and just take two walk actions to get away." I goofed up cause my other thought at the same time was if you started out close enough to an apponent you could use the 0 serpent strike to charge away after making two attacks. Sorry for the tease and confusion.

I'm curious why you have the waldgeist in one of your lists. My opinion so far is that they are just too situational, as in they're very worth while if the table has significant forests but they lose almost everything, and become way overpriced, if it doesn't. Did you know the table layouts ahead of time or is there something I'm missing about them?

Yes they are situational, I assumed there'd be a few wood tables. But at the same time they're a solid minion that don't die too easily. Ignoring woods they still have Armour 2 and 7 wounds, combined with decent damage output.

People are scared of them and they take resources to take out, also a great target for defend me.

Do have to say I recently took 2 waldersgeists after a few months not using any...no woods, unfortunately, however they are crazily survivable - I had no objections when the whole situation descended into a cluster of intermingled enemy and waldergist models shooting in with explosive shot - hopping for the cheating down opportunity on the hit. Waldergesit takes 1 wound, enemy mods take 2.....4 wounds caused for the price of 1.

They also have quite a fearsome damage output - well worth the cost IMO - and they probably dragged the game to a draw....darn Coph duet basically being unkillable

Ahhhh, the bitterness in that post. You do kind of downplay any ability in me winning and put it down to bad flips, and don't forget I only threw Hamelin into Ramos as I had a Stolen at the back ready to bring him back (which you wouldn't have killed). Believe it or not I did know what I was doing in that game, and whilst the game should have been closer I knew from that start the win was pretty much mine. :D

Ahhhh, the bitterness in that post. You do kind of downplay any ability in me winning and put it down to bad flips, and don't forget I only threw Hamelin into Ramos as I had a Stolen at the back ready to bring him back (which you wouldn't have killed). Believe it or not I did know what I was doing in that game, and whilst the game should have been closer I knew from that start the win was pretty much mine. :D

I disagree the win was pretty much yours Adam. Much like in our 2nd game which you 'dominated' I always had one eye on the VPs, and well, I'll mention our 2nd game when we're on it. I do put the loss down to bad flips, as I don't think either of us outplayed the other, nor did one crew massively outmatch the other. You didn't really 'throw' Hamelin in, I leapt on him. Literally. As for the stolen at the back, yes it was there, but my mech rider with the +Cg from Ramos could have possibly got there, and even if I didn't, he's at the back and lost about 4 rats and a ratcatcher.

I believe you do know what you were doing with your crew, but I do but the loss down to majority of luck, sorry Adam. I did say in my first post I'd be brutally honest. Much like the result of my 5th game vs Mitch wasn't a fair result but for him.

You know what I meant by throw in, I piled him into the midde of your crew knowing a leap from Ramos was inevitable. It's not like I was paying conservatively or cautious of Ramos. And you'd never of gotten that Stolen, otherwise I wouldn't have done it ;)

Anyway, we can argue all we want. You take comfort in "bad luck", I'll take comfort in 7vps vs your 0vps, not losing a single game all tournament, and beating you twice :)