Corphyee swords dance and push trigger

CrouchingMoose

So im finally getting a close to caught up on models ive wanted from books 2 and 3 and i finally got to these gold mines...I finally got them into a game against Leveticus and we decided to call the game after the first activation of round 2 when the duet killed both Leveticus and his waif in 1 activation.

The one question i have from the experience is, i said where i was moving to(straight line), stopped part way to attack and got the trigger to push. At this point i get fuzzy on what happens...do i push, the continue walking and if so, does the walk have to be towards the spot i was allready declared as walking to or can i continue walking in a new direction?

That's how I play it too, much the same as the dead rider's mounted combat. A question on top of that, just to be sure of something; do you perform the push after inflicting damage but before they're converted to wounds, or after the attack is fully resolved? Card says from memory that it's triggered on damaging opponent. I've been playing it the first way I mentioned.

The one question i have from the experience is, i said where i was moving to(straight line), stopped part way to attack and got the trigger to push. At this point i get fuzzy on what happens...do i push, the continue walking and if so, does the walk have to be towards the spot i was allready declared as walking to or can i continue walking in a new direction?

Push, then continue walking. I don't see anything wrong with announcing you will be walking to a new location in light of the push so long as it's announced.

we play it, your declare you move up to the spot you want to make the attack and measure the distance travelled (say 5 inches), then you make your attack, do the 4 inch push, then you declare your remaining move of move.

That's how I play it too

Where are you guys getting that you have to announce where you plan to move a model? Is this somewhere in the rules and I'm just not seeing it, or some kind of forum ruling/explanation?

I don't see anything preventing you from moving an inch (or an even smaller increment) at a time until you've used up a model's walk. The rules manual is actually pretty vague as to how you are supposed to conduct movement (maybe I'm overlooking something).

In practice:

Move a little bit (maybe 2", or maybe 5") towards an enemy (deducting the distance moved from your Wk). Stop. Check Melee Range. If in range, make a Sword Dance Strike. Use the Push trigger. Push in whatever direction you want (same as movement, a little at a time, until you've run out of inches). Resume Walk action. Move a little in whatever direction you want to go (deducting it from your model's walk). Repeat until the model's Wk is used up.

Obviously, its less tedious in practice than it sounds.

Is this wrong?

At work without my manual so going from memory here, but in the melee section it says something like declare a melee strike then measure for range, and if the model is out of melee range the attack fails. I'd cry hacks if someone kept moving up inch by inch and checking if they were in range for a ranged strike or an aura, don't see why melee would be any different.

At work without my manual so going from memory here, but in the melee section it says something like declare a melee strike then measure for range, and if the model is out of melee range the attack fails. I'd cry hacks if someone kept moving up inch by inch and checking if they were in range for a ranged strike or an aura, don't see why melee would be any different.

Gollum is right, you can check melee range at any point (only melee. I believe Ratty or somebody messed up an said Auras too once, but it was corrected). A search should yield some relevant threads. Also, its the last bullet point under Melee Basics on page 39.

Unless you forget to measure first, you shouldn't ever declare a melee strike against a model outside of your melee range.

You can't pre-measure auras or ranged strikes, so those aren't really an issue.

Nothing wrong with inching around, as far as I know. How did you arrive at your method of doing movement?

It's a table etiquette thing to make it clear you aren't trying to weasel in extra movement.

Measuring properly is measuring properly, either way you do it. I think I've seen people rubber ruler a long measurement more often than a lot of short ones.

Nothing wrong with doing it all at once. However, you're cheating yourself out of some options. For instance, stopping just within 2" melee range of an enemy with a 1" melee range. Also, with abilities like Sword Dance you end up breaking your Wk down into pieces anyway.