Carpeting your base

ShaddowKatt

Hey guys, I'm currently working on making a new base style that I haven't seen before, but I'm sure someone has done. I'm putting down carpet! I've gotten a nice fabric that looks perfect for the setting, but the problem I'm encountering is that the edges are fraying and getting all rigid and stringy. I've got an idea to fix it but know nothing about stitching. I'm basically thinking that I can sew the edges in a way that will reinforce them and hold the circular shape that I need for the "carpet".

Before you wonder why I'm talking about stitching in this thread, I'm not. I'm asking if any of you have seen "carpeting" done to bases before and if so I would love to see pictures and links to those so I can study them and pull inspiration from them.

Also, if you happen to know anything about sewing I'd be happy to see links to stitching techniques and such so that I can learn. (Go ahead and judge haters.)

Thanks in advance all.

----Oh, and if I find anything, I'll be sure to post both the advice as well as my W.I.P. and a finished product. :)

Edited by ShaddowKatt

I did something similar for the Base of my Best Sportsman Teddy Award for the last league.

Instead of using fabric (the kind for clothing) try using felt, it wont fray once it has been primed, painted and sealed. Also I think it gives a better carpet effect when done (specifically talking about a plush style carpet).

Hmm. My first instinct would be to green-stuff a 'hem' onto the carpet wile on the base.

But I don't know about stitching, so good luck with that!

Green-stuffing it would work I'm sure but I'm trying to keep it as close to Fabric and Carpet as I can. ie: No green stuff, no modeling supplies, etc.

Why dont you just fold the fabric over the edge of something (ie plastic card) and then just the edges to that. It would be like making your own little base insert

Folding it. Simple. Why didn't I think of that? It will probably be a bit difficult to do it on a circle, but I'm sure I can pull it off. Thanks. :)

No need for hot glue even. Just simple white elmers glue will seep into the fibers, then apply to base while it's still wet. The glue will basically harden in place, into a disk inside the rim of the base. Once dried, it should hold the carpet firm and not allow it to fray.

Gluing it down with rubber cement will save you a step and give very similar effect. That being said, Id figure best looking and sure fire technique would be to size and glue down the fabric; then take some green stuff rolled into a very thin snake and apply it as a ring just inside the edge of the the base.. forming like a slight lip over the fabric. If done right doubt many will even notice its not part of the plastic base.

Now all that being said.... Id personally go with the suggestions here about using some sort of felt. Im not convinced normal cloth will give the look your after.

I would go with something like velvet and wrapping it around a plastic card insert, don't try stitching it I have done quite a bit of dress making - Re-enactment kit & uniforms & can tell you trying to hem something less than 30mm in diameter with thread fine enough you can't see it will be a real pain & might get literally bloody if your not careful.

Short static grass in unusual colours could work as could sections of grass matt though you would have to colour these as most tend to be quite green.

No need for hot glue even. Just simple white elmers glue will seep into the fibers, then apply to base while it's still wet. The glue will basically harden in place, into a disk inside the rim of the base. Once dried, it should hold the carpet firm and not allow it to fray.

This is almost exactly what i did for blankets on the dreamer's bed, and for a "red carpet" look i gave to lillith. I don't know if Webmonkey mean to say this or not, but i actually put the small trail of white glue on the top of the fabric and folded that over, so it created a hem of sorts, protecting the ends from fraying, and the glue dried clear adding a stiffness that kept it from moving around on the base. for the blankets, i actually dipped the whole blanket in the glue and applied it to the bed like paper mache. this allowed me to move it however i wanted without it being evil and causing me to lose my patience. If you'd like, i can try to get you pics of how they turned out. I have been asked about how i managed to "sculpt" blankets before. :D so i'm guessing it looks alright.

Cheers and good luck

Twizz