Effigies...?

ChefsDad

I must say I still need to wrap my head around the Effigies. A couple of quick questions though:

1. I was under impression that factions can hire only their effigies and Collodi gets to hire them all (Special Forces, Dolls). Alternatively, masters who can hire Collodi as a minion, can use his ability to hire Special Forces (Dolls) to bypass the faction hiring restrictions.

How does Lilith hire Arcane Effigy then? Or do I miss something big (like a small omission of Collodi being in the crew :D)?

2. I'm under impression that Neverborn masters hiring an Effigy can still link to a totem. Perhaps the wording on the cards will be different, but what we have now in the Book 3 seems to bar non-Neverborn leaders who hire an effigy from linking totems... only.

Is it intended?

I must say I still need to wrap my head around the Effigies. A couple of quick questions though:

1. I was under impression that factions can hire only their effigies and Collodi gets to hire them all (Special Forces, Dolls). Alternatively, masters who can hire Collodi as a minion, can use his ability to hire Special Forces (Dolls) to bypass the faction hiring restrictions.

How does Lilith hire Arcane Effigy then? Or do I miss something big (like a small omission of Collodi being in the crew :D)?

2. I'm under impression that Neverborn masters hiring an Effigy can still link to a totem. Perhaps the wording on the cards will be different, but what we have now in the Book 3 seems to bar non-Neverborn leaders who hire an effigy from linking totems... only.

Is it intended?

They all (except Mysterious; that'd be redundant) have Other Allegiances [Neverborn], which states that they can be hired by Neverborn crews at no additional cost. That'd cover Lilith. Of course, without a special rule like Collodi's for Special Forces, a Neverborn master would only be able to hire 2. Perhaps that's the confusion? And yes, Aetheric Demands specifies "Non-Neverborn," so totems should be fine.

They all (except Mysterious; that'd be redundant) have Other Allegiances [Neverborn], which states that they can be hired by Neverborn crews at no additional cost. That'd cover Lilith. Of course, without a special rule like Collodi's for Special Forces, a Neverborn master would only be able to hire 2. Perhaps that's the confusion? And yes, Aetheric Demands specifies "Non-Neverborn," so totems should be fine.

That is correct except don't forget Zoraida can hire as many effigies as she wants because she can hire as many special forces dolls as she wants. p10 of Rules Manual

I have used the Mysterious Effigy to defend strategies, and schemes. Giving models slow and and friendlies +2 Defense vs ranged are really helpful abilities.

2 questions and an answer:

Does the way the rule is worded on page 10 mean that

a) Zoraida can hire upto 2 special forces models, say von schill, and as many dolls as she wants: "in addition to the standard special forces rules, Zoraida may hire any number of models with this characteristic (special forces: Dolls)

b)Zoraida can hire as many special forces dolls as she wants (so wouldnt need Collodi, unlike the other born masters) but still cant use another special forces.

The "standard" special forces rules say x1 special forces , x2 models per crew. Zoraida's "in addition to the standard" would make me think a), but I play her so am probably biased!

2)Think this has been ruled on but can't find it- Zoraida can hire von schill then summon wicked dolls, right?

In answer to the original question:

The resse one is pretty good if you have a grave robber (hehe- Nephilim that can heal!)

The arcanist one is also handy, especially over a primordial magicif you want to take an avatar.

The hodgepodge I havent played with.

The born one is pretty cool for his +2df vs ranged and causing slow to enemies- great with teddy and other slow big hitters

Brutal- HIS NAME IS BRUTAL!!!!!!! I love this little guy-hes possibly my fav of all the dolls. Really useful for his minimum damage 3 magical weapon and "on a 9" healing flip. Oh and melee expert. Oh and he is a df 5 wd 5 ht 1 object- AWESOME!

• 2 weeks later...

Generally it is decided among the players before the game starts. I will always accept stand-ins as it gives you a chance to 'try before you by' in a game scenario so you can judge whether that awesome looking model is worth getting. And, of course, there are awesome models (eg effigies) that havent hit the shelves yet =p

I'm pretty sure I'm never running Zoraida without an arcane effigy, it's just that stupidly good. The additional Ap for casting and extra card helps her get her avatar form easier. And aZoraida with an extra casting Ap is a font of magic destruction. But wait... there's more! The AE is also pretty decent in combat with a (0) action damage spell that targets Ca (granted short range), as well as a short range blast and a not worthless brawl attack.

For 4 soulstones? Hell yeah!

Haven't tried the others as they didn't impress me nearly as much, although I'm tempted by the carrion.