Dead Doxy

JisaacT

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really depends on if you like the new models more than anything else. Doxies are rare 2, and even though I've re-read Omenbringer's use for them, I'm still, at the moment, not enamored of them. So if you are planning on using them purely for their statistics I think you don't need to buy any additional models. Your Dead Justice will see you just fine for all the uses you'll have for a single Doxy.

Now let me say I will be buying the Dead Doxies because I really like the sculpts, and the idea of Zombie Hookers and Showgirls was whimsical enough to have been one of the things that got me into Malifaux, even though I personally have a very hard time trying to make a Belle-centric crew very effective. If this is also the case for you I'd suggest picking them up, as the sculpts are very good.

This is theoryfaux, but I was looking over the Doxies as I'm very interested in expanding into Ressers (Molly and Seamus), and I noticed something that's not being mentioned much.

The Dead Doxy has a trigger granting a free melee or ranged strike when getting a crow-tome in casting Seduction or Undress. Seduction requires a tome and her CA comes with a crow, so whenever she successfully casts Seduction she gets a free strike at a model that will be at a negative 2 flip. Undress doesn't require a tome, but if you have or flip one, you can get another free strike, this time at a -2 DF model, which will be flipping negative 2 if you previously hit it with Seduction (which also helps with the WP resist flip). Assuming the first Seduction was off your (0) Inviting Approach, she's still got one action point to play with, which could be a 3rd strike.

I understand that this is: tome intensive, requires the target to be subject to WP resists, and isn't big number damage. That said, it looks pretty interesting to me that she can double debuff a target and put 3 strikes into it in a single activation. I don't see this taking down a master, but it seems like this could be decent at hitting other large targets.

EDIT:

-Inviting Approach requires a 6+ of any suit, and the target to fail the WP resist, so preferably high anything other than a tome

-Seduction requires a 7+ of tomes, and the target to fail the WP resist, so high tome

-The Strike following seduction will be against a double negative flip, so pretty much anything probably works here unless target has really high DEF

-Undress requires a 7+ of any suit, but you'll want a tome for the free Strike, your opponent needs to fail the WP resist, so normally higher for your flip is better, but if the Seduction worked, then your target is at a double negative flip, so you can probably get away with a 7+ tome (for the free Strike)

-The Undress free Strike and any following Strike (assuming both Seduction and Undress worked) will be against a -2 DF and double negative flip target, and can likely use any flip.

So you need a 6+ anything, and two 7+ tomes (using the higher one on the Seduction).

(just documenting)

Needs fairly good luck and result isn't incredibly amazing. Still, I play mostly Arcanists, so when I compare that to my Ice/Fire Gamin at 4stones, I'm jealous.

Edited by Cats Laughing

I agree on the Doxy. The problem with it is, to get that chain off requires you to win a lot of duels in a row and you prettty much have to cast seduction successfully to hit anything with Cb 4. Sure the model is debuffed for the rest of your crew, but a 5 point model that cant stand well on its own is pushing the cusp of 'not combative enough'. Add into this their very poor survivability (df 4 wd 6 regardless of what else they have) and the fact that their reverse lure asks for them to be up front, and you have a model that is anti-synergistic with itself.

I dont think Doxy falls into the unplayable category, but I do think it's a little bit niche, and its prone to being suited out of any given game.

I played another game iwth her last night. She did great and I even got lucky to get the trigger off for the free attack. The thing was though getting that tome was VERY difficult. I couldnt cheat it and got very lucky to get it but it ended up winning the game for me. I now summon one in every chance I get instead of a rotten belle.