Dead Doxy

JisaacT

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been searching for tactics on her but I havent found hardly anything. I'm about to get NE Lady Justice and really want to use her as undead I just cant find what she does or how she works.

I've got about 20 minutes of downtime in between house cleaning so I'll write up a real quick Dead Doxy tactica, just for you!

Dead Doxy - 5 Soul Stones

The Dead doxy is the new Belle introduced in the third expansion of Malifaux, Rising Powers. She fills a specific niche that is more tailor-made for a Seamus crew, that is, the in-combat summon damage / support.

A big problem most players are going to have when looking at the Doxy for the first time is that she brings very little to the table for Seamus (Or any other Resurrectionist master, for that matter.) She's got the standard 'Low Df, Hard to Wound, moderate Wd' combo that most Resser models have. However, the Dead Doxy also has Strangly Attractive, which makes them pretty effective Spell Tanks versus quite a few crews that rely on multiple models laying down the law. It also works to slow down crews like Von Schill (Or several Vicky lists) from absolutely chewing you apart. Keep in mind it's a Simple duel, so Stubborn won't come into effect and no talent can ignore it.

Doxies are fairly more mobile than Belles, they only have a maximum Wk of 7, (9 with Molly, 12 with (1)Imbue Vigor) which is only 1 higher than your standard Belle, but they also get a Ca 7 push that has a debuff attached to it, so they do move significantly faster than your run of the mill Belle.

They're fairly solid 5 Pt. models without Molly Squidpiddge, with a decently reliable debuff that has incredibly powerful reprecussions (:-fate:-fate to Defense and Resist duels spells certain death in most cases. Their (1)Undress will work only slightly better than a Rotten Belle's but does help to increase the usage of the spell because you often spend all of a Rotten Belle's AP on (1)Lure.

If you're bringing in Molly Squidpiddge, the Doxies' (1)Seduction can be stolen and then cast with a Ca 7 and Use Soulstone, which pretty well ensures a successful cast.

(1)Seduction is probably in the top 5 most powerful spells in the game, especially with Resurrectionists (Or Levi.) Because they're all very spell reliant, (Yes, even McMourning needs to cast spells) and (1)Seduction downright guarantees things going your way on whoever is afflicted.

- - - - -

Abilities

Flirtatious Wink: Gives the Doxy 7 Ca when casting (0)Inviting Approach. This is often either an autowin, or a forced high card. It makes the Doxy fairly menacing in most games because it allows her to drop onto a model, cuddle its defenses, and then still have 2 AP to run the hell away. (Or try, try again.)

Hard to Wound 1: Makes this girls super tanks, even with 6 Wd, against ranged and spell crews. Moderate Wp makes them pretty hard to hit in the first place with a lot of spells and medium low Df means that you can actually compete in flips with smaller models.

Part of the Harem: Just lets Seamus summon them. Which is always a good idea to do as soon as possible. Always gauge the situation, "Who would be better here, a Rock(Rotten Belles) or a Hard Place(Dead Doxy)?" Remember Rotten Belles have a higher melee Cb than Doxies and will be better for keeping a model in place, but Doxies can whittle down an enemy model and run away easily. So pick wisely which you're summoning.

Shambling: Standard issue mobility buff.

Slow to Die: I'll explain a trick on when this is great in a second.

Strangely Attractive: Models 4" or more away targeting the Doxy with an Attack have to win a Wp->12 duel or the Action immediately fails. Please for the love of [generic deity] do NOT forget about this ability. A Doxy can stand in front of a gun line and flash them all in to absolute failure. It's ridiculously powerful for such a simple ability.

Actions

(1)Final Encore: This is pretty useless unless you have the Avatar of Dread on the table. Why? Because then all of your models become Terrifying->12. If a model has already pass the Terrifying Duel to hit the Doxy and you pull a switcheroo, that model has to beat ANOTHER Terrifying->12 immediately. It took me a little to figure this out but it is stupid powerful with Avatar Seamus. Try it out a few times and tell me how many people go for the Doxy afterwards.

Triggers

Fatal Distraction: Gives you a free swing if you succeed in casting (1)Seduction or (1)Undress. It's an autotrigger for (1)Seduction because you need to flip a :tomes anyway. You'll occasionally hit things with your gun, so it's always worth a try if you can pull it off.

Rot: It's nice when you flip a crow in a melee strike, but I just don't really see the practicality of it. This trigger is present for the fluff and nothing more.

Regret: Super situational defensive trigger, works great when it works, completely forgotten when it doesn't. It's nice to stop Teddy from instabanning your Doxy, but doesn't do much else.

Spells

(0)Inviting Approach: Usually an autocast, you need 6 of anything to get it off. It gives you a free push towards a model and a free (1)Seduction if you end within 4" of that model, which you usually will. Fairly powerful mobility tool.

(1)Seduction: Has a pretty difficult cast, you need a moderate-high :tomes to get it to go, but it has incredibly destructive capabilities. A :-fate:-fate to Defense and Resist duels usually spell D E A D for whatever model failed to resist. It can be annoying when you have this spell and no reliable means to cast it, but when you've got that high :tomes sitting in your hand and a 9 point model right down the road, it feels great.

(1)Undress: Moderate CC, decent debuff. You'll be casting this more often with the Doxy than your Rotten Belles, so don't be shy to blast an enemy model with a Focus Cast undress to pave the way for Seamus' gun, or meaty green giant fists.

- - - -

Final Thoughts,

1. Is the Dead Doxy worth getting?

Hell yes it is. They're powerful niche models with high mobility, powerful defense and sleeper OP Spell. It's great to drop a fate twist bomb on a clutch model and then just wreck it with your crew. They're low cost models with a high movement rate so starting with them isn't always taboo, and they can be summoned into the middle of things if you're in a pinch.

2. What counters the Dead Doxy?

Fast models. The Doxy is pretty solid in the defensive area, and is moderate high speed compared to a lot of other models. But anything that can outrun her will just leave her in the dust. You can always focus down bigger models with the Doxy but if your opponent is someone like Colette, you'll just be constantly frustrated with how little they accomplish.

3. What does the Dead Doxy Counter?

High Risk, High Reward models like Von Schill, Cassandra, Shikome, or Nix. She can easily lock down models when you couple her with a Belle, can drop a bomb on objective Grabbers and can escape a lot of dreary situations that players will use for counters versus her.

4. How well does a Doxy work for

• McMourning: Badly, sort of. They can move with your crew and increase McMourning or Simulcrum's damage output, but that's about it. You've got far better tanks and way better damage dealers than the Doxy that will be replaceable. I'd skip the Doxy for this one.
  • Nicodem: Pretty great. They can be summoned, so mobility isn't an issue. They're great tools to use with Punk Zombies and can actually deal respectable damage because of (0)Bolster Undead. Definately suggest using them.
  • Kirai: They aren't terrible, but most experienced players will skip them. I haven't had much playtime with a Doxy and Kirai so I can't say definitively, but, they're too slow, don't fit the meta and aren't very useful for anything.
  • Leveticus: You tell me, I've never tried it.

I think they'll be money with molly as a secondary beaters to sybelle and RM. Actually I think i'll likely be taking a couple of them in place of the RM... just seems like better to have a bit of target saturation and she seems to have better synergy with the crew than RM. with molly's spells I think they'll be very accurate and nothing else can really make good use of the tomes you may draw, so may aswell keep that 10+ for when you wanna try the triple attack combo

I think one of their big advantages is the kinds of speed they can attain. On their own with seamus they can (0) for 7 inches (with seamus' buff) and then make 2 moves at 7 inches. With molly they could still (0) for that, or if buuffed with vigor... (0) for 10" and then make 2 8" walks... thats not bad for a 5ss model...

if you got molly and seamus AND cast vigor on her... (0) for 12" and then 2 walks at 10".... 32inch mobility at the cost of 1 ap spell from another model? not too shabby id say

edit: hell, thats in the realm of elite objective grabbing mobility

Great write up Sandwich, I have definately been looking forward to their release (for the last 7 months, Nightmare Lady Justice is a fun standin but I want the "official" models)

My opinion is they will be a great addition to the rest of the Harem (especially when Avatar Seamus adds Terrifying to the mix). Their staying power is good already, with that in effect it will be amazing.

I dont know if they'll be an amazing' addition, but Im against all the nay saying, and I'll say they'll be a solid and versatile addition to the ressers toolbox..er... body bag?

With Strangely Attractive, Terrifying (from Avatar Seamus), the Regret Trigger, Hard to Wound, Slow to Die, Final Encore and the ability to be brought back by either non-avatar Seamus or Molly makes them really durable. If she remains close to Molly she can also potentially benefit from Impossible Knowledge add another benefit for her defensively.

Couple that with the bufffs she can get to movement from this crew (12" if within range of both Seamus and Molly and benefiting from Imbue Vigor that ignores severe terrain movement penalties, and a 2 :melee range) and she gets even better.

If you factor in her 0 action Inviting Approach then she can get to her target for free, have the opportunity to cast Seduction for free and still have 2 AP to use.

I definately think this elevates them from a good 5 SS model in any other crew to an amazing 5 SS model in a Seamus/ Molly crew build. Back her up with a Rotten Belle for assistance with Luring the target into position for Inviting Approach and as a target for Final Encore. Hell if points allow, Sybelle might even make a great target for this interaction since she has Regeneration and the potential to finish off the model that killed the Doxy.

With Strangely Attractive, Terrifying (from Avatar Seamus), the Regret Trigger, Hard to Wound, Slow to Die, Final Encore and the ability to be brought back by either non-avatar Seamus or Molly makes them really durable. If she remains close to Molly she can also potentially benefit from Impossible Knowledge add another benefit for her defensively.

Couple that with the bufffs she can get to movement from this crew (12" if within range of both Seamus and Molly and benefiting from Imbue Vigor that ignores severe terrain movement penalties, and a 2 :melee range) and she gets even better.

If you factor in her 0 action Inviting Approach then she can get to her target for free, have the opportunity to cast Seduction for free and still have 2 AP to use.

I definately think this elevates them from a good 5 SS model in any other crew to an amazing 5 SS model in a Seamus/ Molly crew build. Back her up with a Rotten Belle for assistance with Luring the target into position for Inviting Approach and as a target for Final Encore. Hell if points allow, Sybelle might even make a great target for this interaction since she has Regeneration and the potential to finish off the model that killed the Doxy.

She has however gotten a far amount of flak for not living up to the expectations from people who have extensively used her. She CAN do alot of things, but not any one of them is particularly powerful. So I think the main issue people are having is expecting way too much from this little 5ss package. I think if you kind of throw her into the utility role, You'll be pleasantly surprised by her ability to perform. But shes not particularly able to beat anything on her own, or debuff anything on her own (due to low CA). But shes very capable of filling a role mid game as you need I believe.

If you're beatstick falls, throw her into the line to take some hits and ping away at the models you were working on.

If your objective grabbers get gunned down, throw some buffs on her and launch her out at the objective.

If you debuffer get beaten down, have her stack her abilities to pin down a model.

All in all, alot of utility, but not overpowering at any one of them. I like it all the same tho.

EDIT: As opposed to alot of what people say, I dont think I want to summon her, I think I may want one off the bat in my crew. Keep her midfield and that way she can be thrown into the mix with her (0) to plug whatever gap is lacking in your force

Edited by fritz the cat

I guess I am in the minority then, I have liked using them since I first saw them 7 months ago (for a lot of the reasons you have posted above).

I do agree that they aren't overpowered on their own (though think they are good for 5 SS) and that probably leads to a lot of the complaints.

Though summoning them in game is a nice thing, I too prefer to have them in play at the start. Summoning models in game is nice in theory but not always in practice (the enemy usually targets your corpse counters and it's not exactly a sure thing to succeed with the summoning spells even with Soulstones for an extra card).

Like a lot of the "this model sucks" threads, time will usually show the opposite (I remember a time when everyone swore that Pandora was a bottom tier Master/crew).

I think shes really going to shine in the 25-35ss games. Where you have enough points for a utility model, but no enough for too many redundancies/backups.

Im really looking forward to the release of the model (both to use... and because Im betting shes going to be a rad looking model)

edit: in larger games I'd actually probably summon her, as they're likely to be more prolific availability of counters and she'd be a good fit as a second wave model.

I have to say I strongly prefer summoning them than starting with them because they're free, and if the CC comes from a Rotten Belle, they're one point cheaper.

It's a general rule of fun to start without models you can reliably bring into the game for free.

It lets you bring in more stuff that you can't summon.

Although I'd discount a lot of the naysay and negativity towards most things because a lot of people (Myself included) will play a single game (Or just theoryfaux) and then come blabbing to the forum about how UP something is.

I have to say I strongly prefer summoning them than starting with them because they're free, and if the CC comes from a Rotten Belle, they're one point cheaper.

It's a general rule of fun to start without models you can reliably bring into the game for free.

It lets you bring in more stuff that you can't summon.

Although I'd discount a lot of the naysay and negativity towards most things because a lot of people (Myself included) will play a single game (Or just theoryfaux) and then come blabbing to the forum about how UP something is.

the problem with them coming later or in off a rotten belle, is that if that belle is dead, thats alot of their toughness gone without a target for the belle swap.

I kinda like the idea of someone wasting resources to try and kill a 5ss model only to have it all for naught.

Also from personal gameplay I find with seamus, late game, im looking at his resources and thinknig more selfishly with his resources at hand.

And molly is really resource intensive with her summoning, so I tend to think of it as a backup plan rather than a plan.

I dont play Nico, so I cant say for him.

the problem with them coming later or in off a rotten belle, is that if that belle is dead, thats alot of their toughness gone without a target for the belle swap.

I kinda like the idea of someone wasting resources to try and kill a 5ss model only to have it all for naught.

Also from personal gameplay I find with seamus, late game, im looking at his resources and thinknig more selfishly with his resources at hand.

And molly is really resource intensive with her summoning, so I tend to think of it as a backup plan rather than a plan.

I dont play Nico, so I cant say for him.

As an exception to the rule of cool, I ALWAYS bring Belles to start with Seamus.

They're just too good early on.

The Doxy can't really shine all too well until mid game or on, the free bonus Walk has to be within 12" of the target model, so it won't be useful out the gate for a long time.

Molly is only resource intensive pre-manifestation.

After Seamus loses the need for high crows and Corpse Counters, she's not that bad. I believe she needs an 8:crows to summon.

But pre-manifestation Seamus can just summon Doxies on the cheap, anyway.

So it's not an issue either way. :P

But to be clear to everyone, summoning a Doxy is my personal preference and starting with one is just as viable as not. So when you play, do what you're most comfortable with.