Lists for demos?

Hugor

Did my first demo today of puppet wars and was thinking set up might have been easier if I had come with a set list for each puppet master, instead of doing a draft, which took a long time since everyone wanted to read all the cards.

Wondering what others are doing and if anyone has any good basic lists outside of the Lady Justic and Seamus ones in the book that would work well with Pandora and Marcus for four player demos.

Headcase, that is kind of what ended up happening with us. Everyone was simply suit cards and maybe a suit-less or two. I do like the idea of smaller lists, and will probably do that in the future, and use lists with multiples, which will hopefully drop the confusion caused by having 9 different lists of abilities, actions, etc...

Lalochizia, like your lists, that would make things a lot easier.

I run very small lists for demos. 3 pawns and a sidekick per master- 3 of which are suited, and one out of suit just so they can start to pay attention to suits. It works extremely well, and the games are over very quickly, especially if you arrange the map in such a way. These short games even allow multiplayer, so you can teach a few people at a time.

All you need to do this is the main box and the multiplayer expansion for 3-4 players.

If your just running demos Ebonstar has it. 3 pawns 1 sidekick max. Two neutral work benches and a mellow amount of terrain. Starter works great for demos. I would do:

1: Lady J, Judge, deathmarshal, austringer, silurid

2: Seamus, bete noir, rotten bell,punk zombie, december acolyte.

If you want you can even stack the decks.

It's also ok to not include all the rules. Such as not being able to discard the animation card for a free action or move, or ignoring upgrades ect. Keeping things simple is the best way to go for a first game. Following the quick start games in the pattern book works very well too. It's their first game, they just have to have fun not know all the rules.

Two executioners for LJ might make it a wee bit hard to activate, don't you think?

I've done it without much problem. New players will just drop their high cards to animate without saving them - which would be a disadvantage if you were really playing competitively. But I assume you're not. If it's a problem just switch them out for guild hounds if you have them, or austringers if you don't. Hugor hit it on the head: it's not so much about which puppets you duplicate so much as you have duplicates so there are less new abilities to learn.

Edited by Justin

Did my first demo today of puppet wars and was thinking set up might have been easier if I had come with a set list for each puppet master, instead of doing a draft, which took a long time since everyone wanted to read all the cards.

Wondering what others are doing and if anyone has any good basic lists outside of the Lady Justic and Seamus ones in the book that would work well with Pandora and Marcus for four player demos.

Congratulations on the demo, have a lot going on or I would have creeped out there to meet with you all.

As for good Pandora and Marcus demo crews...

• Pandora
  • Baby Kade
  • Sorrow
  • Malifaux Cherub
  • Convict Gunslinger
  • Punk Zombie

and

• Marcus
  • Joss
  • December Acolyte
  • Razorspine Rattler
  • Moleman
  • Guild Hound

I prefer this smaller size for demos because it is easier for new players to manage fewer model interactions.

Ok here is what I am thinking after reading the responses...

Lady J

• Judge
  • Executioner
  • Death Marshal
  • Nurse

Pandora

• Baby Kade
  • Malifaux Cherub
  • Sorrow
  • Witchling Stalker

Seamus

• Bete Noire
  • Rotten Belle
  • Punk Zombie
  • December Acolyte

Marcus

• Joss
  • Razorspine Rattler
  • Moleman
  • Slurid

Still thinking it through. May subtract a pawn from each army and double up the other to minimize upload time. Also worried that Pandora's play style may be a little complex, since this list is really more about being really annoying to the other players. Any thoughts?

Also thinking of putting together a one page quick reference sheet to have on hand during the demo with lists of the common actions, order of play, brief description of effects, and an explanation of the stat card.

Looks good enough, although I prefer repeat puppets. But either way.

As for Pandora: she is a little complex, but if people like her, let them at her. You may warn them "Oh yeah, she works a lot better with a full list, you can do this and this." But if they like the look of her, make her available.

Also, if you do demos in the next week, post them up on the facebook to enter the contest. no reason not to.

For Demos, I like varied puppet armies to demonstrate the animation mechanics (and benefit of having the right master).

All of those lists look pretty good.

Also, I will bring you the Pokey Vik next Tuesday (wont be able to make it out this week had something major come up, for sure Monday or Tuesday though).

• 2 weeks later...

I fought someone who fielded:

Lady Justice

Judge

Nino

2 Death Marshals

2 Executioners

Mature Nephilim

Guild Austringer

Witchling Stalker

Now that's 2 more than a shoebox, but having the 2 Executioners and a Mature Nephilim actually worked, though that was a 4-player game and he only brought the 2nd Executioner out when the 1st was torn apart.

For starter crews though I think Lady J, Judge, 2 Death Marshals and Mature Nephilim (more suitable than Executioner imo because it is the same AC, but is out of suit and faster). You can then bring in Witchling Stalker to demonstrate non-combat orientated support puppets.

I think lalo is right about using doubles if possible (which you should have if you're using more than the starter), as it keeps it simple, teaches the value of having doubles and is a perfect place to teach about upgrades.