Random Malifaux minis for the boyfriend

Wings

That's a looooot of minis. What's even more impressive is the fact that you've managed to keep the quality of painting very high throughout the whole force.

I'm currently in denial that I've got the rest of the box to paint. IT DOESN'T EXIST. *hides from all the unpainted minis* I'm used to the idea that I'll never paint my way through all my minis, but getting half way through a boxed game makes it hard to avoid the thought that I'll have to paint the rest. Never again... I'm glad that it at least looks like the quality is consistent! It was really hard spending so little time on each figure.

I do stress Monkeyboy that me having finished minis is highly unusual! I can only paint on weekends as my paints live in a different house to me (I'd love to go back to being a student and painting most nights) and normally my minis dawdle along and stay in an unfinished, unbased state. If only I could paint at work...

So little time on each figure? It certainly does not show in the quality!

I usually paint (or try to paint) at least an hour or two each evening, if I can, assuming I don't have translation work that I have to do at home (like this week). But that's of course when the painting muse descends. I usually go a few months of painting, take a few months off and do other things, then get pack to painitng again for a few months... There is an ebb and flow. It really depends on a few factors like what I have going on (damn you, life, for getting in the way!! *shakes fist*), how excited I am about the models I have chosen to paint (boring models are a CHORE!), and the reason for painting them. I tend to not do commissions, because then my pleasure becomes work, and then I don't want to do it. Yuck. If I have a tournament or some other goal, I tend to paint rather fervently, though I tend to sacrifice some quality in the process. I don't paint well AND quickly. I can do one or the other.

I paint best when I enjoy the models, I have a good theme for them, I have the luxury of time, and the amount I have unpainted isn't too daunting. Yeah, my 200+ model Skaven army probably won't ever be finished... sigh.

• Like 1

Mako, I think at the end of the year's productive painting your minis would look a lot better than mine. These are definitely not "look at individually" but rather "admire my productivity from a distance". On a good day I'd get six troopers finished and then would feel depressed that I couldn't devote all that time to one completely unfinished figure.

I seriously envy your (almost) daily painting Monkeyboy. I'd love to do that!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm getting depressingly little painting time in at the moment, but I've finally managed to get my naked girl onto a base rather than a cork. What do you think? Any tips on improving this would be hugely appreciated. Currently I know I need to fix the marble and make her parting slightly less severe.

ConcubineWIP2_zpsf21b2ea3.jpg

Glad to see you back and painting again! We were very concerned! Tears welled up in our eyes... it was awful...

Precious little time? Had it been me painting that GORGEOUS Persian rug, I'd have been MIA for about 2 months!!! Where on Earth did you find the inspiration for that design, and how the hell did you pull it off in miniature??? I think that rug is in my Mom's condo!!!

Just when I think you're one of the best miniature painters I've seen, you amaze me even further, just around the next bend.

Marble is tough... One piece I started had marble in it that came out rather well (for me) was a Trollblood Caber Thrower from Privateer Press. Take a look at the P3 Studio's version here for a look. Mine is not finished, nor is the marble half as good...  You can see in the P3 version the subtle tinted areas, the veins of color, the cracks... it all really pulls together well. And that's a bit subdued from what actual marble is like. It's a bit more busy that that, usually. But for minis, usually "less is more" for marbling.

Your work is stunning, as always, Wings.

The Persian rug was surprisingly quick to do. I thought it would take me absolutely ages, but I got it painted as far as the bottom photo in one afternoon and then spent another couple of hours highlighting it and neatening it up. And I spent quite a lot of time pausing and going "wow... I did that? So quickly? How is it possible!".

I want to see this unfinished Trollblood Caber Thrower of yours! And thanks for the P3 link, that marble is stunning. Lots of ogling of that will happen this afternoon I think. (The flattery is also much appreciated. ;) )

Maybe it didn't take that much time but the effect is absolutely amazing, the rug looks realistic and the intricate pattern is just amazing. The skin looks very nice, I really like the smooth highlights. Apart from what you've already menttioned I think you might try to work up the shadows in some areas, for example around the left hand. Somehow, shadows seem a bit too deep there and there's a bit too much contrast - something you've managed to avoid on the rest of the skin.

Thanks Lussuria! I put a thin layer of greenstuff down where I wanted the rug to be, and after priming it sat there with pictures of Turkish rugs up on google painting lots of line and dots. There wasn't much more thought to it than that to be honest! Just blocking in what vague shapes I wanted (e.g. I want a border here) and then filling it in (ooh, that looks like a nice pattern to fit in the border). It's kinda a miracle it turned out looking as cohesive as it has...

• 1 month later...

Hmm... I need to get more painting time in. I've been painting up some LotR minis the only friend I managed to interest in mins at uni gave me and all I can say is I HATE FINECAST. I've also been trying out the Scale 75 paints I was given for Christmas (they arrived in March) and in particular trying to practice my NMM. What do you think?

Aragorn_zps3485884e.jpg

Saruman_zpsa41535a8.jpg

Boromir_zps4c619787.jpg

I've decided that the concubine is finished, but if anyone sees anything I ought to sort out or add pleas let me know. :)

Concubine_zpsb54bac0b.jpg

• Like 1

Hey! Fancy seeing you here, stranger! ;)

Wow, your NMM it outstanding!! It is incredibly realistic!

Yeah, Finecast is petty much shite. I've never owned any of it, and I was always scared to even try. I have heard too many horror stories about it. I had heard they were getting better with it, but apparently not.

And I think your concubine model is exemplary, honestly. I like how you toned down the shadowing a bit, and you seem to have brightened the highlights a smidge, too, which is really lovely. It's beautiful work as always, Wings. I'm always happy when you have more models posted!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks! I'm still really pleased with the doppelganger. It's such an awesome mini to paint.

I'm still plugging through my various LoTR minis but then I'll hopefully be able to go back and finally finish Yan Lo's crew. I'm running out of Malifaux minis to paint!

If you need some Malifaux to paint, dear, I will TOTALLY parcel my models to you...! I have a Perdita crew that I am dying to paint, though, so you can't have them. :P

I just need to get all their bases sculpted/built before I get to them. Sigh. I hate that I can't find the 30mm Ghost Town base inserts anymore!!

The downside of getting friends into painting is now I no longer have an excuse to steal their stuff and paint it. And now that my boyfriend no longer plays Malifaux it gets a lot harder to justify buying more minis (I seem to have a ban on everything apart from naked girls, which he happily buys me).

Good luck with all those bases Monkeyboy! Hopefully the base inserts will be back in stock somewhere soon and you can be happy again.