Ramos and the Constructs of Order

Da Big Baws

well, gaurdian is a good model, especialy since you could give it a +2 def and stuff, but i beleive ramos doesn't need it, when he is in his avatar, he is tough enough. and hunter, well, i don't think he is that good for a 7point model in a ramos crew.

but i want to see them brawl together :D hoffman takes the toolkit and ramos the bras arachnid, toolkit gives ramos and bras arachnid a tome, and youre ready to go :D

Well, hunter is a pretty bad model for Guild, so with increased SS cost it pretty much becomes unplayable.

Guardian has the same uses as in a guild list; you want to keep a lynchpin alive, give it a Guardian. That said, Guardian is also a kind of expensive investment and so suffers the same issue as the hunter.

Ramos is really all about the Spiders, Coryphee and Mechanical Rider if we're talking constructs only.

This might be an easy one to know but i though i would throw it out there Da Big Baws. The spider swarm is the way to go as you only have to pay one extra point for it .. 9 to 10 points then split it apart for the activations. Otherwise your going to spend to much on individual spiders as they are out of faction.

Oh well, there goes that plan...

Maybe I should look it backwards...what Archanist models could I get for Ramos that C. Hoffman would use too....

P.S. Do Steampunk Arachnid Swarms come with bases to build them as individual models or a Swarm?

The swarm comes with just the base for the swarm, but its not difficult or exspensive to grab some extra 30s. Also, protip: magnatise the spiders for the bases so u can switch between swarm and single spiders. Saves you some exspenses.

I don't really think the executioner offers Hoffman anything he can't get from a peacekeeper. The Peacekeeper is pure awesome with Hoffman.

If you move at a spider's speed, than the arachnids can give you three constructs in base-to-base easily.

i dunno, hoffman can override the ability that only ramos can heal him, and executioner can give some extra cover and is a beast in melee,

i dunno, hoffman can override the ability that only ramos can heal him, and executioner can give some extra cover and is a beast in melee,

For Hoffman, I think there are better Ride options that the Steamborg (and I don't like the sculpt much either). Pale Rider, Mechanical Rider, Peacekeeper, and even Ryle in a pinch.

P.S. Do Steampunk Arachnid Swarms come with bases to build them as individual models or a Swarm?

Swarms comes with the swarm sized base and you would need to get small bases for the individual spiders.

Having extra small bases is typically a good thing, so I wouldn't worry too much about having to invest in a package or two of small bases.

You can use magnets to allow you to switch between bases.

As the spiders are small, you may want to glue them to some kind of terrain bit, and magnetize the terrain bit to the base(s), as trying to magnetize a tiny spider is difficult.

I believe there are pictures of how other forum members have done this in the miniatures subforum.

• 2 weeks later...
Well, hunter is a pretty bad model for Guild, so with increased SS cost it pretty much becomes unplayable.

Guardian has the same uses as in a guild list; you want to keep a lynchpin alive, give it a Guardian. That said, Guardian is also a kind of expensive investment and so suffers the same issue as the hunter.

Ramos is really all about the Spiders, Coryphee and Mechanical Rider if we're talking constructs only.

This poster is banned, but anyone else care to say why is the hunter bad?

To me, it looks solid.

Calmdown....tended to be very definite about what he liked and didnt like. The hunter was one of the things he didnt like.

The hunter has his uses. He's quite fast moving, and has ok damage. His big things are Ambush and Shadow - you can really ruin a couple of models' day with him if he activates first - with the plus flips of damage and attack from ambush, you can generally predict a hit against most things with his chain spear, and with the auto Drag trigger, plus giving anyone hit slow, he gives you quite a nice way of locking down the enemies pieces.

One thing with Shadow is that the model targeted only has to be in LoS. every time they take a walk or charge action, the hunter gets to follow. Its a nice way to quickly get him up close and personal - use Shadow on something that is going to be moving a lot, and watch him get right up close and personal.

The only major problem with him to be honest is that he doesnt have arachnid (from what I recall), which can slow him down somewhat.

Remember though, that Ramos *will* have to pay an extra soulstone for him, so he's not altogether the cheapest construct out, and he will prevent you taking that lovely piece of loveliness that is Lazarus. He can, however, be useful in an avatar ramos list, as aRamos' group construct obey spell can be used to set up some nice combos and pulls - cast the spell, pull your target in with the hunter, and then watch everything else rip it to pieces.

Calmdown....tended to be very definite about what he liked and didnt like. The hunter was one of the things he didnt like.

The hunter has his uses. He's quite fast moving, and has ok damage. His big things are Ambush and Shadow - you can really ruin a couple of models' day with him if he activates first - with the plus flips of damage and attack from ambush, you can generally predict a hit against most things with his chain spear, and with the auto Drag trigger, plus giving anyone hit slow, he gives you quite a nice way of locking down the enemies pieces.

One thing with Shadow is that the model targeted only has to be in LoS. every time they take a walk or charge action, the hunter gets to follow. Its a nice way to quickly get him up close and personal - use Shadow on something that is going to be moving a lot, and watch him get right up close and personal.

The only major problem with him to be honest is that he doesnt have arachnid (from what I recall), which can slow him down somewhat.

Remember though, that Ramos *will* have to pay an extra soulstone for him, so he's not altogether the cheapest construct out, and he will prevent you taking that lovely piece of loveliness that is Lazarus. He can, however, be useful in an avatar ramos list, as aRamos' group construct obey spell can be used to set up some nice combos and pulls - cast the spell, pull your target in with the hunter, and then watch everything else rip it to pieces.

Larzarus isn't out yet. ;)

And if he and Hoffman brawl together, Larzarus isn't even in the picture (but that is another matter).

I was thinking of maybe getting Ramos, his Avatar (I would use the Spiders that come with him, but I think shouldn't use the Avatar until I later get a few more 5SS or less summon-able targets), Electrical Creation, and Joss (Bonus, Hoffman can hire him too) on Dec or Jan and using the following for 25SS Scrap:

Ramos

Joss

Guardian (Hunter + 1SS instead maybe?)

2x Steampunk Arachnids (3rd saved for summoning)

Does that sound good?

Edited by Da Big Baws

it sounds good, but I would definitely recommend picking up extra spiders. I have yet to play a game with Ramos where I didnt have the chance to summon at least 2 or 3 spiders - Its his only (0) other than Linked In.

I would also recommend taking the toolkit instead of the second spider - The toolkit gives you a lot more options, and makes summoning more spiders ridiculously easy.

question for you - the Guardian - are you going to have that protect Joss or Ramos?

I would honestly go for the hunter. It is a model that likes to activate early in the turn which is always desired in a crew. It has excellent movement, and as you pointed out is 1ss cheaper than the guardian. An added bonus is that its on a 50mm base so it drops three scrap counters when it dies. So even in death it can be quite useful.

• 2 weeks later...

You know looking at the hunter i might have to take one just to harpoon ramos for a little extra movment first turn. Be some thing to try and get him in the fight a little faster. Armor means he is realy only looking at one wound. I realy think ramos could use a snowstorm type model designed to help with his movement.

You know looking at the hunter i might have to take one just to harpoon ramos for a little extra movment first turn. Be some thing to try and get him in the fight a little faster. Armor means he is realy only looking at one wound. I realy think ramos could use a snowstorm type model designed to help with his movement.

If you just want a Harppon, wouldn't the Mechanical Rider be a better investment, albeit a few more SS?

I think the problem with the hunter is that for a few more stones you can have either the mechanical rider, or the Peace Keeper. Both of these constructs fill a similar role, can spear things, and are more mobile. They are also arguably more survivable than the hunter. While the Hunter has some cool abilities these two lack, in a smaller game I feel there just are not enough stones to hire the hunter and a Peace Keeper/Mechanical Rider. In a larger game I would include him as there is more of a chance for him to activate before another model.