Regarding Deliver a Message Strategy

Emune

Question

A friend and I were playing a game today, and after a few rounds in he asked if it was possible for him to just kill off his master (Somer) to prevent me (Marcus) from completing the Deliver a Message strategy. I was just wondering if anyone knows if this is is allowed, and if so what would the person with the deliver a message do afterwards? Or what is the incentive for the opponent to not kill their master off early?

14 answers to this question

Page 71 of the Rules Manuel defines what a leader is. The gist of which is that a Crew only has one leader which can be a Master or a Henchmen, however, because of the wordings in the rules under Henchmen and Masters if you bring a Master IT is the leader, if you bring a Henchmen and make it the leader you cannot bring a master because their is no way to hire one as Master's have no SS cost to be hired, and don't fit within most Henchmen's hiring restrictions, which when they are the leader, they have to abide by.

Henchman is only a leader if there is no master, otherwise it is a minion.

I also do not even think it is bad sportsmanship to kill off your leader to prevent the scheme. You weaken your army a lot. If by some chance it's an army who's leader does not bring much to the table (I cannot think of one) pay the Soulstone and reflip the strategy.

Henchman is only a leader if there is no master, otherwise it is a minion.

I don't believe you are correct here. If the Henchman is not leading the crew it is still a Henchman, it never becomes a Minion. This distinction is important, because, for example, you cannot Kill Protegee a Henchman because it specifically requires you to target a minion.

Thanks for clearing this up for me everyone! One more question though, say he does kill off his master, Can I use a soul stone to re-flip my strategy still ? Or am I stuck with an impossible strategy?

You can only spend the stone and reflip strategies before the game begins. So once you are in the game you can't reflip it.

If it is nearing the end of the game and killing my master will secure me the win I will do it. Sometimes tactics dictate that my models must die to get the victory. It's the same type of strategy when someone takes grudge against my rezers. I will kill and re-summon to prevent 2 VP.